Leyland Marathon...The "Nearly" Truck of The 1970s?

Carryfast:

railstaff:
What engine have Renault designed for Volvo■■?

That’s why I also ended the sentence with a question mark.I’ve previously seen some references to the D13/MP8 for example being a Renault design ?.However now can’t find any actual confirmation of that either way.But still seems to be plenty of comments out there concerning the thing being a piece of junk regardless. :confused: On that note the premise stands a good outsourced one beats a bad in house one and vice versa and in house or outsourced is no guarantee of a bullet proof design.

In addition to as I said numerous examples of in house manufacture not being mutually exclusive with the assembly model and outsourcing of major components.To the point where as I said it is still possible to find ■■■■■■■ engines offered as an option in both Volvo and DB group products.In addition to the option of Fuller v I shift for example.In which case as I’ve said ironically Scania could probably take out the ■■■■■■■ ISX and Volvo’s D13/16 if it offered its V8 as a loose option.In a similar way that ■■■■■■■ and Rolls took out the TL12. :bulb: :wink:

The MP8 is what MACK refer to as the D13,but I don’t understand your later post.TEREX,Hyundai,Doosan don’t make inhouse engines of that size.Going to Scania was purely on cost over ■■■■■■■■■■ for N14 still in production,just not certified for European use.(CCED)

One issue you have not looked at CF regarding your beloved Swedish hairdrier is,

Bearing in mind VAG owns MAN 100%,Scania 90%,why have VAG let MAN firstly do a joint venture with leibherr on a 16litre vee eight then a new MAN only 15.4 litre straight six(D38).Instead of borrowing the mighty Scania vee eight?

Quite simple,because it would rob sales from Scania,the same as a loose Scania vee eight distributed to every manufacturer in Aus.Scania like the rest want the whole of the business.

Without doubt the vee eight is a stormer but near the end of its life.The space inside the rocker lids gets smaller every year.Unit injection will not meet certification for much longer.Take a little peak at Volvos latest D16D and that’s with over head cam.

railstaff:

Carryfast:

railstaff:
What engine have Renault designed for Volvo■■?

That’s why I also ended the sentence with a question mark.I’ve previously seen some references to the D13/MP8 for example being a Renault design ?.However now can’t find any actual confirmation of that either way.But still seems to be plenty of comments out there concerning the thing being a piece of junk regardless. :confused: On that note the premise stands a good outsourced one beats a bad in house one and vice versa and in house or outsourced is no guarantee of a bullet proof design.

In addition to as I said numerous examples of in house manufacture not being mutually exclusive with the assembly model and outsourcing of major components.To the point where as I said it is still possible to find ■■■■■■■ engines offered as an option in both Volvo and DB group products.In addition to the option of Fuller v I shift for example.In which case as I’ve said ironically Scania could probably take out the ■■■■■■■ ISX and Volvo’s D13/16 if it offered its V8 as a loose option.In a similar way that ■■■■■■■ and Rolls took out the TL12. :bulb: :wink:

The MP8 is what MACK refer to as the D13,but I don’t understand your later post.TEREX,Hyundai,Doosan don’t make inhouse engines of that size.Going to Scania was purely on cost over ■■■■■■■■■■ for N14 still in production,just not certified for European use.(CCED)

The MP8 is what Mack call,what ‘Volvo’ call the D13 and the N14 isn’t certified for road use in new trucks anywhere now ?. :confused:

As for my second paragraph it contains examples which still suggest that the only rule,related to the question of the use of in house engines v loose supplied outsourced components,is still that there are no rules.At least until it’s no longer possible to get the ■■■■■■■ and/or Fuller option in the Volvo VN only all in house Volvo engines with I shift.Or only Detroit engines in Western Star.Or only MX engine and DAF transmissions not ■■■■■■■ and Fuller in KW.

railstaff:
One issue you have not looked at CF regarding your beloved Swedish hairdrier is,

Bearing in mind VAG owns MAN 100%,Scania 90%,why have VAG let MAN firstly do a joint venture with leibherr on a 16litre vee eight then a new MAN only 15.4 litre straight six(D38).Instead of borrowing the mighty Scania vee eight?

Quite simple,because it would rob sales from Scania,the same as a loose Scania vee eight distributed to every manufacturer in Aus.Scania like the rest want the whole of the business.

Without doubt the vee eight is a stormer but near the end of its life.The space inside the rocker lids gets smaller every year.Unit injection will not meet certification for much longer.Take a little peak at Volvos latest D16D and that’s with over head cam.

Knowing ze Germans it’s my guess that they would happily throw the Swedes under a bus if they think it’s in their own interests.Developing MAN engines at the expense of using Scania ones seems to me to be in line with that idea.The Swedish bankers having done to Scania what ours did to Leyland long ago in that regard. :bulb:

How would supplying loose Scania V8’s in North America or to put in Australian KW’s supposedly lose Scania sales.When no one in North America could buy a Scania truck even if they wanted one and in the case of Australian customers who would happily buy a KW with a Scania V8 and 18 speed Fuller in it,but there’s no way that they would buy a Scania ?.

Carryfast:
Australian customers who would happily buy a KW with a Scania V8 and 18 speed Fuller in it,but there’s no way that they would buy a Scania ?.

Why would they not buy a Scania if it suited their operation?

The 2 biggest stumbling blocks for European trucks in Aus are parts prices & resale values. European cab bunk size is also frowned upon (hence the Australian built longer FH cab for example, which is no longer available with the new Fh’s).

Generally, due to the mileage covered, many trucks are treated to regular rebuilds and new ‘crate’ engines being fitted. As an example, the company that my boss pulls trailers for - their new trucks will run Adelaide - Sydney (3 a week) for the first year or so - this will clock up over half a million Km’s in the first year alone, so within 2 years or so they are likely to be having an ‘in chassis’ rebuild, then another couple of years down the track, the chances are, that if a given truck is generally reliable - but just a bit tired- it will get a new engine, otherwise it will most likely be sold on.
So as you can see, parts prices & resale values are high on the agenda.

Generally the European wagons are much better on fuel - as fuel prices increase, that will obviously be a consideration, but as yet, not a big enough one I guess.

Ironically, having said that about the better fuel consumption of Euro trucks - Aussie truck journalist Matt Wood ran a back to back KW v Volvo road test a year or so ago and found very little difference between the two, but that isn’t what I have found in ‘real life’. The test was published in the transport press here - I’m sure it could be found on google.

Perhaps there was some sort of road test conspiracy ■■ - over to you CF. :smiley: :smiley:

dave docwra:

Carryfast:
Australian customers who would happily buy a KW with a Scania V8 and 18 speed Fuller in it,but there’s no way that they would buy a Scania ?.

Why would they not buy a Scania if it suited their operation?

Because it doesn’t fit with “CF’s” point of view

railstaff:
Without doubt the vee eight is a stormer but near the end of its life.The space inside the rocker lids gets smaller every year.Unit injection will not meet certification for much longer.

I am not getting the argument about space under the rocker cover being a limiting factor. Since the early days of IC engines the greatest rewards have come from improvements in cylinder head design. While Scania may have gone as far as possible to improve volumetric efficiency, a redesigned cylinder head to incorporate CR would seem possible, with space created by the removal of the third pushrod and associated linkage.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_inje … jector.JPG

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ra … engine.jpg

gingerfold:

cav551:
IIRC Scammell did fit the AEC AV 1100 into some export chassis for I think Australia. If anyone has 2010 AEC Society Gazette copies there are some articles about this engine included in more than one issue.

And South Africa where it was the AEC Super Mammoth.

AEC Super Mammoth supplied to South Africa

super_mammoth_hg6rab_9674.jpg

Carryfast:

railstaff:

Knowing ze Germans it’s my guess that they would happily throw the Swedes under a bus if they think it’s in their own interests.Developing MAN engines at the expense of using Scania ones seems to me to be in line with that idea.The Swedish bankers having done to Scania what ours did to Leyland long ago in that regard. :bulb:

I never mentioned USA at all,i refered to Aus were there is Scania road trains.I think the N14 is certified in China.■■■■■■■ uk will not sell you an engine and don’t have any if they could.

How would supplying loose Scania V8’s in North America or to put in Australian KW’s supposedly lose Scania sales.When no one in North America could buy a Scania truck even if they wanted one and in the case of Australian customers who would happily buy a KW with a Scania V8 and 18 speed Fuller in it,but there’s no way that they would buy a Scania ?.

The 1959 designed, individual cylinder head Aec AV 1100T and Scania’s fuel injection possibilities may seem irrelevant to the Leyland Marathon, but both point the way to what could have been done with an AEC derived engine. Whether that would have been an inline six or a sorted vee eight, with however many cylinders covered by one head is a tantalising prospect. The technical reports about the TL12 engine had made clear that by 1972 AEC had been concentrating upon improving the internal cooling, cylinder head design and clamping of the AEC engine along with producing its output at lower rpm. Whether this should all have waited for the T45 cab and been offered perhaps with an alternative improved vee engine as well, is with hindsight a fascinating conundrum. But we are not operating under the pressures imposed from above at the time.

cav551:

railstaff:
Without doubt the vee eight is a stormer but near the end of its life.The space inside the rocker lids gets smaller every year.Unit injection will not meet certification for much longer.

I am not getting the argument about space under the rocker cover being a limiting factor. Since the early days of IC engines the greatest rewards have come from improvements in cylinder head design. While Scania may have gone as far as possible to improve volumetric efficiency, a redesigned cylinder head to incorporate CR would seem possible, with space created by the removal of the third pushrod and associated linkage.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_inje … jector.JPG

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ra … engine.jpg

I agree completely.But that would still mean a redesign of the engine as you know.At the moment to carry on using unit injection has a life limit for the vee eight.Space is the issue inside the rocker housings.At this present time for unit injection to meet future critera it requires a pilot charge(which most have)A main charge(again all have) and increased fuel pressure,Volvos answer on D13 and D16 is a secondary pump in the head,as well as the low pressure gear pump and Cam actuation.Without the Scania adopting this and space is the problem it must then go to XPI(higher pressure common rail).But even then there is an issue of running the vee eight at lower weights at euro 6 and beyond due to low engine temperatures and DPF not completing the cleaning phase and you know the rest.Stick with the TL12.

cav551:
The 1959 designed, individual cylinder head Aec AV 1100T and Scania’s fuel injection possibilities may seem irrelevant to the Leyland Marathon, but both point the way to what could have been done with an AEC derived engine. Whether that would have been an inline six or a sorted vee eight, with however many cylinders covered by one head is a tantalising prospect. The technical reports about the TL12 engine had made clear that by 1972 AEC had been concentrating upon improving the internal cooling, cylinder head design and clamping of the AEC engine along with producing its output at lower rpm. Whether this should all have waited for the T45 cab and been offered perhaps with an alternative improved vee engine as well, is with hindsight a fascinating conundrum. But we are not operating under the pressures imposed from above at the time.

It is a crying shame as you say.I still think if AEC had been left to their own devices things would have been different.I am no AEC expert and enjoy learning,so may I ask two questions.

1,How did it come to a point were Leyland took over AEC.Were AEC in trouble?

2,Its seems AEC had an obsession with dry liner engines,was there a good reason for this as wet liner design is far easier to manufacture.

Over to the experts.

kmills:
The 2 biggest stumbling blocks for European trucks in Aus are parts prices & resale values. European cab bunk size is also frowned upon (hence the Australian built longer FH cab for example, which is no longer available with the new Fh’s).

Generally, due to the mileage covered, many trucks are treated to regular rebuilds and new ‘crate’ engines being fitted. As an example, the company that my boss pulls trailers for - their new trucks will run Adelaide - Sydney (3 a week) for the first year or so - this will clock up over half a million Km’s in the first year alone, so within 2 years or so they are likely to be having an ‘in chassis’ rebuild, then another couple of years down the track, the chances are, that if a given truck is generally reliable - but just a bit tired- it will get a new engine, otherwise it will most likely be sold on.
So as you can see, parts prices & resale values are high on the agenda.

Generally the European wagons are much better on fuel - as fuel prices increase, that will obviously be a consideration, but as yet, not a big enough one I guess.

Ironically, having said that about the better fuel consumption of Euro trucks - Aussie truck journalist Matt Wood ran a back to back KW v Volvo road test a year or so ago and found very little difference between the two, but that isn’t what I have found in ‘real life’. The test was published in the transport press here - I’m sure it could be found on google.

Perhaps there was some sort of road test conspiracy ■■ - over to you CF. :smiley: :smiley:

Assuming it’s all new stuff realistically it could only have been a test between either MX or ISX v Volvo D13/16 ? in which case if it was the MX powered KW then it was really just a test of Euro v Euro anyway in terms of their relative fuel use.As for the ISX v MX fuel usage who knows maybe railstaff could answer that question.All I’m saying is that whatever the fuel usage the pushrod N14 or Scania V8 would be my choice just on grounds of durability and relative maintenance costs.

While you seem to have answered the question as to why buying a KW still beats the idea of buying a Scania just to get the Scania engine regardless.I guess the local product KW sales still rightly beat the combined sales of the Euro imports there put together ?.With the KW certainly not ( yet ) fitting the description of an all in house Paccar product.

I’d never claim to be an “expert” about any subject…X = unknown quantity, spurt = a drip under pressure. But I’ll attempt to give some answers to your questions with information passed down from some former,very senior AEC management I have either spoken to in person or communicated with over the years.

Firstly, AEC in about 1961 / 1962, just prior to the ‘merger’ with Leyland. It goes without saying that being the two largest UK manufacturers of PSV and premium heavy vehicles that AEC and Leyland were fierce rivals both in home markets and overseas. Overseas markets for both companies were mainly in British Commonwealth nations, but not entirely so. For example AEC was successful in several South American countries, as well as Portugal and some other European companies. Leyland also had success in South America and some European companies. Both companies had each entered into joint collaborations with various European manufacturers: - AEC with Willeme in France, Vanaja in Finland, and Barrerios in Spain for the supply of engines and gearboxes, and Leyland with Hotchkiss in France and DAF in Holland with engines. Both companies had assembly plants in South Africa and Australia, either as stand alone ventures or joint collaborations with local companies. Both companies supplied the “loose” engine market in the UK. Both companies had significant presences in industrial, marine, and railcar engine markets. Both companies had acquired other vehicle makers, body builders, and component manufacturers. So to sum up, very similar companies in the range of products produced and markets supplied. Leyland was the larger of the two companies. In the 1930s Leyland and AEC had entered into a joint venture for trolley bus assembly, but for the most part they went their own separate ways.The most fierce rivalry was in passenger vehicle markets which were considered to be more prestigious than lorry markets. And of course AEC was the supplier of choice to London Transport, where the company had its basis when it was founded as The Associated Equipment Company back in 1912.

When AEC was floated as a separate company in 1933 it had an agreement to supply London Transport with 80% of its vehicle chassis for 30 years, so by 1962 this agreement was nearing its conclusion. All of London Transport’s PSVs had been designed and developed jointly with engineers from each organisation, but the PSV market was changing rapidly from the traditional front engine double decker design to rear engine, front entrance models. Leyland had introduced such a PSV with the Atlantean, and Bristol and Daimler had similar models. Because LT could not decide about the suitability, or not, of the rear engine bus configuration for operating in London, neither, they nor AEC has such a vehicle in design or development in the early 1060s. This left AEC very vulnerable in the PSV market which accounted for about 40% of its revenue and 60% of its profit margin. by 1962 the Routemaster contract had only another 3 or 4 years to run. AEC and LT did hastily design and build FRM 1 (it still exists) that was a front entrance, rear engine double-decker based on Routemaster components and running gear. Development of the FRM concept was immediately shelved when Leyland took over.

On the lorry side of the business AEC was probably a bit stronger than Leyland in the early 1960s. AEC Mk.V Mandators and Mammoth Majors were selling well and proving to be reliable. The Mercury range was matching the Leyland Comet in sales figures and Leyland was having reliability issues with its Power Plus engines in Beaver and Octopus models. However, AEC was in a weaker financial position due to uncertainty about its future PSV sales, and it had suffered from indecisive and weak leadership in the Boardroom. Financial institutions had sensed this weakness, and AEC’s share price had been steadily falling. Leyland had a long history of buying and owning shares in competitors, so with AEC’s share price falling, it increased its holding in AEC shares, leaving it in a strong position to mount a takeover bid, which it did. The final agreement was announced as a merger between the two companies, but Leyland had the more forceful personalities in its Boardroom and it was in effect a takeover.

As for wet and dry liner engines, there were large numbers of both types produced by AEC over the years and dating back to the mid-1930s. The AEC engines more familiar to contributors on TN were both types. The AV470, A590, AV690 were all wet liner designs. The AV505, AV760, TL12 were dry liner types.

Hope that this gives some clarification as to what was a complicated AEC and Leyland “merger” and the rationale behind it. I think that it’s accurate to say that when it was announced it left the industry stunned and my sources from AEC said at the time that it would never be a success. I have heard a Leyland man acknowledge that AEC had the better engineers.

cav551:

Modular 6 and 8 cylinder 130 x 158 individual heads turbocharged to within an inch of its life introduced early 1970’s and then put into an upgraded tilt cab Crusader would probably at least have given them a better chance,than they had with the 135 x 114 V8 and 136 x 142 TL12 put under an Ergo.The English Scania and Merc definitely in that case. :smiley: But unfortunately not what the bankers had planned though.:bulb: :frowning:

Me neither.

The AEC had moved from a dry liner separate crankcase construction in around 1954 to a monoblock design with wet liners. This was successful until rotational speeds and power output increased. Overheating issues then became apparent, particularly with underfloor AV590 engines in the Reliance coach chassis. This aspect seems to have been a recurring problem since it had also been found that the Regal IV chassis with the earlier design A219 engine also suffered with airflow problems through the radiator at speeds approaching motorway standards.

For further information start with post by (zb)anorak in the aec V8 thread P27 & its referenced link and then particularly notice the ongoing overheating theme and ERF’s contributions regarding the rebuild of an aec V8 which give an insight into the AEC’s dry liner designs and overheating.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68096&start=780#p2218380

Thank you all very much.

gingerfold:
I’d never claim to be an “expert” about any subject…X = unknown quantity, spurt = a drip under pressure. But I’ll attempt to give some answers to your questions with information passed down from some former,very senior AEC management I have either spoken to in person or communicated with over the years.

Firstly, AEC in about 1961 / 1962, just prior to the ‘merger’ with Leyland. It goes without saying that being the two largest UK manufacturers of PSV and premium heavy vehicles that AEC and Leyland were fierce rivals both in home markets and overseas. Overseas markets for both companies were mainly in British Commonwealth nations, but not entirely so. For example AEC was successful in several South American countries, as well as Portugal and some other European companies. Leyland also had success in South America and some European companies. Both companies had each entered into joint collaborations with various European manufacturers: - AEC with Willeme in France, Vanaja in Finland, and Barrerios in Spain for the supply of engines and gearboxes, and Leyland with Hotchkiss in France and DAF in Holland with engines. Both companies had assembly plants in South Africa and Australia, either as stand alone ventures or joint collaborations with local companies. Both companies supplied the “loose” engine market in the UK. Both companies had significant presences in industrial, marine, and railcar engine markets. Both companies had acquired other vehicle makers, body builders, and component manufacturers. So to sum up, very similar companies in the range of products produced and markets supplied. Leyland was the larger of the two companies. In the 1930s Leyland and AEC had entered into a joint venture for trolley bus assembly, but for the most part they went their own separate ways.The most fierce rivalry was in passenger vehicle markets which were considered to be more prestigious than lorry markets. And of course AEC was the supplier of choice to London Transport, where the company had its basis when it was founded as The Associated Equipment Company back in 1912.

When AEC was floated as a separate company in 1933 it had an agreement to supply London Transport with 80% of its vehicle chassis for 30 years, so by 1962 this agreement was nearing its conclusion. All of London Transport’s PSVs had been designed and developed jointly with engineers from each organisation, but the PSV market was changing rapidly from the traditional front engine double decker design to rear engine, front entrance models. Leyland had introduced such a PSV with the Atlantean, and Bristol and Daimler had similar models. Because LT could not decide about the suitability, or not, of the rear engine bus configuration for operating in London, neither, they nor AEC has such a vehicle in design or development in the early 1060s. This left AEC very vulnerable in the PSV market which accounted for about 40% of its revenue and 60% of its profit margin. by 1962 the Routemaster contract had only another 3 or 4 years to run. AEC and LT did hastily design and build FRM 1 (it still exists) that was a front entrance, rear engine double-decker based on Routemaster components and running gear. Development of the FRM concept was immediately shelved when Leyland took over.

On the lorry side of the business AEC was probably a bit stronger than Leyland in the early 1960s. AEC Mk.V Mandators and Mammoth Majors were selling well and proving to be reliable. The Mercury range was matching the Leyland Comet in sales figures and Leyland was having reliability issues with its Power Plus engines in Beaver and Octopus models. However, AEC was in a weaker financial position due to uncertainty about its future PSV sales, and it had suffered from indecisive and weak leadership in the Boardroom. Financial institutions had sensed this weakness, and AEC’s share price had been steadily falling. Leyland had a long history of buying and owning shares in competitors, so with AEC’s share price falling, it increased its holding in AEC shares, leaving it in a strong position to mount a takeover bid, which it did. The final agreement was announced as a merger between the two companies, but Leyland had the more forceful personalities in its Boardroom and it was in effect a takeover.

As for wet and dry liner engines, there were large numbers of both types produced by AEC over the years and dating back to the mid-1930s. The AEC engines more familiar to contributors on TN were both types. The AV470, A590, AV690 were all wet liner designs. The AV505, AV760, TL12 were dry liner types.

Hope that this gives some clarification as to what was a complicated AEC and Leyland “merger” and the rationale behind it. I think that it’s accurate to say that when it was announced it left the industry stunned and my sources from AEC said at the time that it would never be a success. I have heard a Leyland man acknowledge that AEC had the better engineers.

It would be fair to say that the ‘financial institutions’ ( bankers ),which you referred to,played an essential and pivotal part in all that ?.Also bearing in mind that Leyland’s relationship with DAF seemed to be a bit more than just flogging them some loose engines having obviously not put a no local production or transfer of intellectual property rights clause in the 680 sales contract.Then what happened after the two totally opposing interests of Leyland v AEC had been deliberately forced together and the predictable results and cav’s pondering of what might have been if AEC’s engineers had made the obvious move of combining the 1100’s architecture with the 691’s for example.Instead of messing about wasting further time cash and effort on developing the 800 and the 760 both developments seeming to be on the orders of Leyland ?.That looks more like conspiracy driven from the highest levels ( bankers and government ) to the benefit of the foreign competition,rather than ■■■■ up,to me.

No surprise that needlessly forcing one man operation onto LT when the RM was still being used happily well into the 1980’s to ( much ) better effect,at least until cashless operation removed the need for driver involvement with taking fares at stops,all seems to be part of an orchestrated plan to take out AEC.That probably being one of the biggest threats to the foreign competition.While cashless operation seems to make the issue of front engined v rear engined buses moot.IE no reason why LT couldn’t have carried on with front engined rear and centre entry/exit buses to date and only change to one man operation with cashless operation bearing in mind the traffic chaos which one man operation combined with taking fares often caused.

So there we have it bankers working together with their puppets among Leyland’s management and politicians to take out AEC and Scammell with the ultimate aim of helping the foreign competition.The V8 fiasco and the retrograde Marathon all being part of that agenda.

Carryfast:
Edit.

Modular 6 and 8 cylinder 130 x 156