Leyland Lorries

■■■■■■■■■.JPG

Muckaway:

The last 8wheel Leyland Smiths bought. They also had a 6wheeler G985 RJO although I’ve not seen any photos of it.
Not sure if myself or anyone else has mentioned it but does anyone see the resemblance between the Constructor and the Daf CF?

You know, talking about resemblences, how come is it that Leyland failed miserably, when they had what was a quite modern design with that T45 cab. When you look at the Renault Premiums et al, it is very similar at a first glance, yet they have gone on to produce, and be relatively successful with this (copied?) design many years after the demise of the Leyland. I just don’t get it. I drove a couple for a while at GL Baker and I thought they were OK (not fantastic, but that was prob because they were very basic models) but having driven the Reanaults, granted a bit later on, they just seemd both better equipped and a better ride (I know on air) but then again, even the old (was it G series Renault, that looked like an F7) felt better. I just wish that Leylands could have carried on and done something with the Roadtrain - I reckon it would have been a decent motor out there now. Re-badging it with Scammell, sticking an extra axle on and maybe an extra cylinder or two didn’t convince me I’m afraid.

hayday:

Muckaway:

The last 8wheel Leyland Smiths bought. They also had a 6wheeler G985 RJO although I’ve not seen any photos of it.
Not sure if myself or anyone else has mentioned it but does anyone see the resemblance between the Constructor and the Daf CF?

You know, talking about resemblences, how come is it that Leyland failed miserably, when they had what was a quite modern design with that T45 cab. When you look at the Renault Premiums et al, it is very similar at a first glance, yet they have gone on to produce, and be relatively successful with this (copied?) design many years after the demise of the Leyland. I just don’t get it. I drove a couple for a while at GL Baker and I thought they were OK (not fantastic, but that was prob because they were very basic models) but having driven the Reanaults, granted a bit later on, they just seemd both better equipped and a better ride (I know on air) but then again, even the old (was it G series Renault, that looked like an F7) felt better. I just wish that Leylands could have carried on and done something with the Roadtrain - I reckon it would have been a decent motor out there now. Re-badging it with Scammell, sticking an extra axle on and maybe an extra cylinder or two didn’t convince me I’m afraid.

I drive a cf muckaway, and i was thinking the exact same thing the other day

Perhaps Fryske could post a cab photo of a Constructor on here and I’ll put up a couple of Foden Alpha ones, 85 and CF versions as a comparisson? I’ve seen Fryskes’ cab shot on another thread and it still looks quite modern…

This was my first job driving,

Went all over the UK in that!

For comparissons’ sake;

This Leyland Constructor, Owned by My pal David Lowdon from new, is still in one piece, not in use but still here, looking a bit sad, but it still fires up, It would be nice to see it restored to its former glorey, one day perhaps, it was a great workhorse , & was no bother in its working days. Regards Larry

I have various sales brochures and spec sheets for Bison,Octopus and Constructor. Also a Constructor 6 drivers hand book from 1988. If anyone wants to see any samples let me know and I will scan on.

bowserman:
This was my first job driving,

Went all over the UK in that!

Bowserman Any idea what Brian Olds is up to now. Last time I saw him he had a shed at Newburn and was buying insurance write off cars to strip for spares.

We had a bit of a reunion last year and Brian turned up with his two lads. He even got a round in!!

I think he has moved into commercial property.

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.951930,-1.544575

Tyneside, put the Bison and constructor stuff on; I grew up riding in those, more so Constructor pre '87 (Dad was promoted to a new Foden from an X plate Constructor 6w then). On the subject, did any Constructor drivers (particularly early models) have problems with heavy clutches? I remember Dad complaining about it… :confused:

Ivor Duggan’s first lorry a Leyland Mastiff.