Leyland Buffalo

An Octopus that was new in 1979. Probably one of (if not the) last ones.

NMP

Leyland Octopus.png

Frankydobo:
That’s right Ramone the 6x4 Retriever with the original Ergo cab, 20LRT and 22LRT (20 and 22 Ton). Where as the Reiver was the later G Cab Bathgate built 6x4. Quite confusing list of names but I suppose better than older systems of letters and numbers and probably why drivers gave many makes nicknames to avoid confusion. Franky.

There was also the Super Reiver and the Bear six wheeler as well, the Bear was designed mainly as a mixer chassis.

Pete.

windrush:

Frankydobo:
That’s right Ramone the 6x4 Retriever with the original Ergo cab, 20LRT and 22LRT (20 and 22 Ton). Where as the Reiver was the later G Cab Bathgate built 6x4. Quite confusing list of names but I suppose better than older systems of letters and numbers and probably why drivers gave many makes nicknames to avoid confusion. Franky.

There was also the Super Reiver and the Bear six wheeler as well, the Bear was designed mainly as a mixer chassis.

Pete.

Were they fitted with the LAD cab Peter?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, it was stronger for site work than the Ergomatic cab.

Pete.

Wasn’t there an Albion Reiver, with the Ergo cab, before the Leyland version with the G cab?

[zb]
anorak:
Wasn’t there an Albion Reiver, with the Ergo cab, before the Leyland version with the G cab?

Yes I remember the company my father worked for bought one in 1967cheers Ray

[zb]
anorak:

For sure, I had WUT *** J good work horse, plenty of leverage at the crank I always thought :unamused:

ramone:

[zb]
anorak:
I did not realise that the Octo was “dormant” for a while. When was this?

I think until around 76

I got an Octopus PAY 127R new,500 engine n Fuller 9sp. Would the AEC MM have been the choice before or the Routeman ? Now they had a hell of a lot of leverage at the crank, cheers Coomsey

Frankydobo:

If I remember correctly my old observers book showed and Albion Reiver with an ergo cab. What was the 6 wheeler chassis with the LAD cab still being flogged in the early 70s for tipper and mixer work?

essexpete:

Frankydobo:

If I remember correctly my old observers book showed and Albion Reiver with an ergo cab. What was the 6 wheeler chassis with the LAD cab still being flogged in the early 70s for tipper and mixer work?

Bear. I think.

Regarding the dormant Octopus years, I have seen a E plate one on the internet, plus I remember seeing an ad for them in 1975. I think. It must have been some time in the early '70s.

I don’t believe the Octopus was dormant during the 70’s, the Ergo cabbed Octopus from the 60’s then carried over to the 500 Series Octopus and then up to the Leyland Constructor 8 wheeler Roadtrain cab introduced in 1980 to supersede that model and the Routeman II. There was indeed an Albion Reiver 6x2 with the LAD cab and a Super Reiver 6x4 with the Ergo cab mid 60’s. Current Leyland Home Models then were Comet, Super Comet, Badger, Beaver, Retriever, Hippo, Octopus with a mix of LAD and Ergo cabs and the Overseas Range with the Power Plus Comet, Power Plus Super Comet, Super Comet (conventional), Power Plus Beaver, Super Beaver, Power Plus Hippo, Super Hippo, Power Plus Octopus. Quite a lot going on there! Franky.

Bear, Hippo, Reiver, Retriever, Super Comet…

leylandsociety.co.uk/blog/blog0026.htm

DEANB:
Been asked to pop a couple of roadtests on here !

Click on pages twice.

Leyland Marathon TL12 1978.

The TL12 acquits itself very well- superior fuel consumption and speed, compared to the other vehicles.

heritagemachines.com/commercial … f-leyland/
Throws some light on some of the numerous Leyland models/options.
Well some!

Apparently according to the above link Leyland did suspend the production of the Octopus between 1970-75 although there would still have been many on the roads until the 500 series Octopus was introduced, interesting article by Peter Davies.

Frankydobo:
Apparently according to the above link Leyland did suspend the production of the Octopus between 1970-75 although there would still have been many on the roads until the 500 series Octopus was introduced, interesting article by Peter Davies.

Didn’t they reintroduce it around the time the Mammoth Major was axed and they offered the L12 to attract AEC users?

Frankydobo:

Seems like a daft attempt to rationalise their 8 wheeler range- you can’t have Leyland’s best cab with Leyland’s best engine, but you can have both components on a Scammell or an AEC.

[zb]
anorak:

Frankydobo:

Seems like a daft attempt to rationalise their 8 wheeler range- you can’t have Leyland’s best cab with Leyland’s best engine, but you can have both components on a Scammell or an AEC.

Am I right in thinking the AEC products were never fitted with the High datum cab? A few I have seen in Malta on YouTube posting appear to have been upgraded.

essexpete:

[zb]
anorak:

Frankydobo:

Am I right in thinking the AEC products were never fitted with the High datum cab? A few I have seen in Malta on YouTube posting appear to have been upgraded.

Only the 13.1? litre V8s, AFAIK. I stand to be corrected, of course!

[zb]
anorak:

essexpete:

[zb]
anorak:

Frankydobo:

Only the 13.1? litre V8s, AFAIK. I stand to be corrected, of course!

Wasn’t that so they could fit a bigger radiator , but it didnt cure the problem