Court Bros
Draycotts
Lapworth Removals
Span-Furn,
AM Walkers of cosby
Pickfords Heavy Haulage
Eastern BRS of blaby
Hamblins Haulage (pointers)
Just to name but a few. I’m sure there are a lot more but the old head hurts for now

From the Atkinson Vehicles archives:

And another: Kiwi Transport of Ibstock. The owner was from NZ and he returned there, taking his Atki with him.

Some great pictures there “240”.
I can just about remember Ma Walkers in thier smart green livery, just before they changed to orange and brown with the introduction of the F7s and F10s, although i think the F10s were based at a depot in derby on powder tankers.

gunnerheskey,
, ask "Ted " about the old Leicester firms ,
he may have short legs but he has a long memory . :laughing:
He may even recall one he was at :smiley:
now i know that was a while ago…
infact, i think steam was just about to be replaced by the diesels. :laughing: :laughing:

gunnerheskey:
Some great pictures there “240”.
I can just about remember Ma Walkers in thier smart green livery, just before they changed to orange and brown with the introduction of the F7s and F10s, although i think the F10s were based at a depot in derby on powder tankers.

I think when AM Walkers moved into Derby did the join up with Midland storage some how I had two mates that drove for them Bob Slaney(atki DRA34J)
And Wally had a F88 both on tankwork.
John

trux:
gunnerheskey,
, ask "Ted " about the old Leicester firms ,
he may have short legs but he has a long memory . :laughing:
He may even recall one he was at :smiley:
now i know that was a while ago…
infact, i think steam was just about to be replaced by the diesels. :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers “trux”
Where can i find him, lol

My Dad worked for A M Walker,(Alice Martha Walker)if i remember rightly.He was based at Stoney Stanton,pipeworks under the name of John Ellis and sons,and they delivered concrete sewer pipes.She used to send him 6 bottles of spirits,and some tobacco at xmas.He used to drive a wooden cabbed atki,and then a foden,then an AEC Marshal when Redland took over the pipeworks,prior to Calor Gas now having the site.A.M.Walkers had some half decent trucks years ago,they even had the early Carlsberg contract before being bought out by the TDG Group,i believe.Thanks for the pictures.

Some good info there TNT,
Here’s a few more to dwell on
Braunstone Haulage
Silks Transport
Coles transport - gt glen
John Simmonds - rothley
Garners Transport - coalville
C A Green - coalville
Butlers - coalville
Enderby Transport/Lish transport
Frank smith - desford
M J Lewis - swepstone
Horace Webster/Richard Webster
Alexandra Stone
Pickarby - Arrivehaul
Bexton and Smith - coalville
That should get a few more minds ticking over for a wee while… :grimacing:

parkin and jones coalville/palletts nailstone/T.W.Glover ravenstone/tallis and cresswell donington le heath/emmersons belton/whitmore and hickin whitwick/bancroft and powers coalville/fletchers ibstock/Boams whitwick/.Beeneys Coalville…these were operators from north west leicestershire all gone except emmersons I think

I hope this thread includes Leicestershire,not just Leicester. :slight_smile: When I was a young 'un in the late 40s and early 50s I used to stay with my auntie in Diseworth and there were two bus companies that ran through the village both running Bedford OBs,Whieldons was one,I think they were from Hathern and the other was Lester Bros from Long Whatton.I know Whieldons ran lorries but not sure about Lester Bros.Another firm I remember was Harlows from Loughborough,I think they were timber merchants and their place was on the A6 north of the town not far from Duples coach place.I’m sure they were into haulage as well in later years.

Hiya no one seems to have mentioned John Moore from Ashby he had some fair tackle F10s and Transcons
John

Chris Webb:
I hope this thread includes Leicestershire,not just Leicester. :slight_smile: When I was a young 'un in the late 40s and early 50s I used to stay with my auntie in Diseworth and there were two bus companies that ran through the village both running Bedford OBs,Whieldons was one,I think they were from Hathern and the other was Lester Bros from Long Whatton.I know Whieldons ran lorries but not sure about Lester Bros.Another firm I remember was Harlows from Loughborough,I think they were timber merchants and their place was on the A6 north of the town not far from Duples coach place.I’m sure they were into haulage as well in later years.

Hi Chris… of course it includes leicestershire…
Harlows of long whatton are still going strong, still timber merchants and still running an impressive fleet of daf cfs, artis and rigids,
Another firm i remember from hathern was Goodacre’s, i don’t think they’re running anymore, smart livery beige with 2 blue stripes, they used to run about 2 or 3 artics…

3300John:
Hiya no one seems to have mentioned John Moore from Ashby he had some fair tackle F10s and Transcons
John

I remember Moores from ashby’s dark green F10s on tipping and bricks…
Andrews Haulage are in their old yard in ashby now, and there is still a scania in Moores old colours still flying around.

Re Moores transport in the 60 s they had a lot of leyland comets artics…at this time artics were nt very common…they were green I think.Last time I was in england I met a chap who used to drive one of those big blue british shoe corporation bedford TK s he did shop deliveries in the london area.He said his lorry was a flying machine possible geared like a coach.

robinswh:
Re Moores transport in the 60 s they had a lot of leyland comets artics…at this time artics were nt very common…they were green I think.Last time I was in england I met a chap who used to drive one of those big blue british shoe corporation bedford TK s he did shop deliveries in the london area.He said his lorry was a flying machine possible geared like a coach.

Hi robinswh,
I remember the blue BSC TKs, then they went on to the brown colour scheme with the hush puppies on… :slight_smile:

Moores of ashby worked on the waste on the A J Bull contract they had some good lads and some bloody good tackel,