Leicester's Bygone's

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think everyone found a use for old tyres Paul! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think everyone found a use for old tyres Paul! :laughing:

Pete.

For sure Pete,all mine had em quietened things down a bit. Says summat about body builders . N not forgetting inner tube for R n S

img198.jpg
FB_IMG_1582734716467.jpg
Think this is the same motor,if so shouldn’t be on here

FB_IMG_1583616292056.jpg
N while I’m messing with Selby, I’ve been reliably informed that this minky was bought by them, don’t suppose anyone has a picture in Selby colours

The AEC was left hand drive.kiwi transport used to park in fletchers yard…the selby dodge six wheeler and the dodge eight wheeler is the same motor it just grew an axle…the good old days before the construction and use regulations

SBS Transport
My old mate Steve James & his dad ran this for years

R James transport before it was changed to SBS

My old mate Steve James

Good times

Very early days of R James Transport
At their Stonebridge street garage off east park rd Leicester

If I remember right, didn’t these mainly run tippers ?
A Mark S Bailey pic

210C8E8E-342F-4E20-AD95-00ED18D6342B.jpeg

Building the M69

This is almost identical to the mausdsley plated AEC mark 3 that my late father drove from 1951 to 1964 when it was scrapped 13 years a long life for a tipper flat out at 35 MPH…….was getting obsolete in the new motorway age. Plate number HAY492 . One of a batch of five…….still searching for a picture…can you help me Paul ? This was of course the whitwick granite company.

img954.jpg

Hitmanesk:
Building the M69

Shifted some stone from Breedon Hill to that job !

I worked in Bardon garage 1967 to 72 .The 4 ERF 8wheelers were a canceld order. Built for flat beds. Hence single drive. They came to us as chassis cabs .We had body’s built by Goddard’s Leicester.They were the first trucks I had seen with spring lock parking brakes. They had a David Brown gear box and a 2 speed Eaton axle. Supplied by Cossington Commercials.First ERF we had. In those days we registered all new vehicle’s.NNR172 F to 175F. The single drive was a problem specially for tyres. We used to run Foden 8 wheeler’s.In 2 years the fleet was increased from 10 to around 50 vehicles.8 .6 .4 wheeler’s Some replacement’s due to the 1968 road traffic act . previously lorry’s didn’t need M O T. Also Required 3 line braking.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I got nnr173f in 1975 when it had been sold off and operated by the late John Williamson of coalville……drove for a couple of weeks while he was on holiday getting rough by then wipers packed up in rain storm on M1 motorway . Got a very high mileage on it

Good picture. Looking different than I remembered. They were good motor’s . Bardon till then only ran Foden 8wheelers. we had a lot of problems with the 12 speed gearboxes rebuilt a few of them.

nick lambden:
Good picture. Looking different than I remembered. They were good motor’s . Bardon till then only ran Foden 8wheelers. we had a lot of problems with the 12 speed gearboxes rebuilt a few of them.

Yes, at our Tilcon quarry we always had a spare box built up ready to swap! :laughing: Mainshaft rear nut and front bolt coming loose, and layshaft bolts shearing off.

Pete.

Yes I remember it well They tried all methods to keep it tight. When I moved to ARC whitwick we had 9 speed box . They had problems synchro rig coming off and air packs breaking of.

FB_IMG_1550129776130.jpg

That’s a great picture. Gregory Tom and I think Bill Patel. Taken for the front page of the Foden news.