Leicester's Bygone's

robinswh:
sorry Paul a bit after my time

Alan Moore on the left Barry Ladkin on the right. Alan was cleaning air operated tailgate n it shut n took finger ends off,he did get back on the road after long spell off.
This motor one of 8, 6 at Whitwick other 2 at Shepshed. 6 had Leyland 680, n 2 poor sods had 180G Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:
Those were the days

I have a book on the history of Cliffe Hill quarry and it’s railway etc, makes an interesting read.

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:
Those were the days

I have a book on the history of Cliffe Hill quarry and it’s railway etc, makes an interesting read.

Pete.

What’s the title Pete? Would be nice to track a copy down. Cheers Coomsey

coomsey:

windrush:

coomsey:
Those were the days

Pete.

This book Paul. I bought it many years ago abebooks.co.uk/978090284419 … 844199/plp

However I see that there is another, which I don’t have, which is an updated version of the one above with more pics etc. ; amazon.co.uk/Cliffe-Hill-Mi … 1871980232

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:

windrush:

coomsey:
Those were the days

Pete.

This book Paul. I bought it many years ago abebooks.co.uk/978090284419 … 844199/plp

However I see that there is another, which I don’t have, which is an updated version of the one above with more pics etc. ; amazon.co.uk/Cliffe-Hill-Mi … 1871980232

Pete.

Thanks for taking the time Pete I’ll sort that.

Here is one for you…1967 ERF eight wheel tipper ex bardon hill quarries driven by me in 1975 towards the end of its life . Photo taken in Buckinghamshire . Owner was on holiday for a week . strange thing about this lorry was that it had a tag axle a strange choice for a tipper it wouldn’t be much use off road.

robinswh:
Here is one for you…1967 ERF eight wheel tipper ex bardon hill quarries driven by me in 1975 towards the end of its life . Photo taken in Buckinghamshire . Owner was on holiday for a week . strange thing about this lorry was that it had a tag axle a strange choice for a tipper it wouldn’t be much use off road.

End of its life Wayne? Another good 10yrs in her n the rest! Cracking pic mind! 180G n DB6?

No 150 gardner and chinese box (6 speed)

Wayne your comment about single drive made me think. Discounting Fodens all the 8whlrs I drove had double drive n as far as I can remember the only time I slipped the diff lock in was at a sand pit Leighton Buzzard way. I used to backload Fullers Earth from there n it was mostly the only way,empty,to move about in the hole,n even then they’d be times the loading shovel would have to give me a push. Sand was a buga. I’ve got another tale about there I’ll tell you later. Cheers Coomsey

robinswh:
No 150 gardner and chinese box (6 speed)

Flying machine ?

here is her sister

erf_7lv_l_66gx.jpg
Grandson Wayne

VS02158.jpgHere is one of the late Mr Trevor Glovers fodens looks as though he bought this one second hand

robinswh:
0Here is one of the late Mr Trevor Glovers fodens looks as though he bought this one second hand

Nice one Wayne. I had a S39 for Trev VRA 39K which I’m almost certain he had from new,both these motors are Derby regs so maybe he was getting a better deal that way.

coomsey:

robinswh:
Here is one of the late Mr Trevor Glovers fodens looks as though he bought this one second hand

Nice one Wayne. I had a S39 for Trev VRA 39K which I’m almost certain he had from new,both these motors are Derby regs so maybe he was getting a better deal that way.

Had this gal for a couple of weeks before the 8whlr Leics reg so maybe Trev kept the dealers on their toes

image.png

love the Foden artic coomsey :slight_smile:
must have been a disappointment being relegated to an 8 wheeler after :frowning:

carryfast-yeti:
love the Foden artic coomsey :slight_smile:
must have been a disappointment being relegated to an 8 wheeler after :frowning:

Yes C Y, but only on looks, she were showing her age when I had her, she was sold on. Having said that vra 39k were no spring chicken. I always liked the look of twin steers on tractor units n I liked having plenty of rubber under my bum, just the once I had a blow out on a 8whlr second steer front on a fast rh bend on the way to Banbury, she didn’t twitch n inch. If I’d been in an artic I suspect I’d have been through the hedge heading for la la land. Cheers Coomsey

FB_IMG_1554229671385.jpg
Nmp

FB_IMG_1554540977725.jpg
Nmp off Tarmac F B

VS02080.jpg
tb.png
Sneaking in on the right of top pic sister of bottom ERF. The colours of Emmos in the 70s