Leicester's Bygone's

Purely out of interest, because I had some sort of relationship with Leicester Heavy Haulage working as I did in the same area and sector with Econofreight, when did they become a ‘bygone’ and what was the story there?

robinswh:
Don’t know about Spencers Emmersons at Belton ran a couple …also the Leyland comet driven my your pal…my cousin drove one of those too.

Ay up Wayne. I know Tallis n Cresswell had a couple n of course Moores. They seemed popular in the late 50s to the 60s so would guess Spencer’s would run some. What was you’re cuz name? I see Rod most Fri days he’s sure to know him. By the way Rod tells me the way he got one of the Comets was by finding out where the transport manager drank, The Jolly Colliers, n sort of oiled his way in. He said after a good few years on the Commers he’d become desperate cheers Paul

robinswh:
Don’t know about Spencers Emmersons at Belton ran a couple …also the Leyland comet driven my your pal…my cousin drove one of those too.

Rods been back to me, he got the reg wrong so that’s him in the advert. It was for Ford n Slater magazine. He’s well happy with you cos he’s having trouble finding his copy cheers Paul

coomsey:

robinswh:

Rods been back to me, he got the reg wrong so that’s him in the advert. It was for Ford n Slater magazine. He’s well happy with you cos he’s having trouble finding his copy cheers Paul

He knew your dad well, Squire. He says the pic was taken down Whitwick hole next to the main crusher. They were carting some of the big stuff to Syston by pass before gsb went down.

Does anyone remember CJ CRANE & SON haulage contractors from Leicester . Ran from 1920s until 1980s . Always had 5 or 6 motors , yellow and black ,. Ran TERRIERS and FGs during the 70s and 80s but had GUYS and ALBIONS in the 60s , Did the lighter work for HERCOCKS , SMITHS and COURT BROS etc . MY granddad Cyril started the firm with horses and carts then had STEAM SENTINELS . My dad Terry joined him in the 50s and took over in the 60s . Had a yard on clarendon st in Leicester .

gunnerheskey:
W Smith haulage were a decent sized firm at one point

Any more pics of W SMITH HAULAGE LEICESTER . They were big at one time . A bloke on my street used to come home in one of there ballast tractors and park it in the street over night . My dad used to run a small fleet of 5 or 6 7.5 tonners and do sum work for them in the 70s . They had loads of trucks even an old 60s foden 6x4 recovery truck . I remember they had some ■■■■■■■ v8 ford d series . I loved the sound as they went past . They were all dark blue in the 70s .

phantom:
This was the company I worked for while taking my Class 1 and their vehicles, you will remember these Gunner
Tipiden the entire fleet except a 7.5 ton Ford flatbed

They had a burgundy 3 axle merc rigid in later years . Used to be near to parker meats .

gunnerheskey:

pete smith:
One for Gunner, N.M.P, think it is out of a book about the old Great Central Railway,

Great pic Pete,
I remember Vics Burgundy Fodens.
His yard was on Western boulevard next to AE piggotts - Frank Berry’s & BRS Roadline on the end.
Was a great place to hang out for a young enthusiast.
Always remember PJ Thory’s queued up up there early mornings. Happy days :laughing:

Did you live near to Berrys , I used to spend a lot of time up there as a kid watching all the wagons of the firms you mentioned . Late 70/80s .

austin70:
Does anyone remember CJ CRANE & SON haulage contractors from Leicester . Ran from 1920s until 1980s . Always had 5 or 6 motors , yellow and black ,. Ran TERRIERS and FGs during the 70s and 80s but had GUYS and ALBIONS in the 60s , Did the lighter work for HERCOCKS , SMITHS and COURT BROS etc . MY granddad Cyril started the firm with horses and carts then had STEAM SENTINELS . My dad Terry joined him in the 50s and took over in the 60s . Had a yard on clarendon st in Leicester .

Hello Austin70.
I remember Cranes, on Clarendon st, right at the bottom on the right, used to be down an alley between the terraced houses. I lived on St Andrews estate in the early 70s & went to school with Ryan Crane .

austin70:

gunnerheskey:

pete smith:
One for Gunner, N.M.P, think it is out of a book about the old Great Central Railway,

Great pic Pete,
I remember Vics Burgundy Fodens.
His yard was on Western boulevard next to AE piggotts - Frank Berry’s & BRS Roadline on the end.
Was a great place to hang out for a young enthusiast.
Always remember PJ Thory’s queued up up there early mornings. Happy days :laughing:

Did you live near to Berrys , I used to spend a lot of time up there as a kid watching all the wagons of the firms you mentioned . Late 70/80s .

I lived on St Andrews, so was always in that area

austin70:

phantom:
This was the company I worked for while taking my Class 1 and their vehicles, you will remember these Gunner
Tipiden the entire fleet except a 7.5 ton Ford flatbed

They had a burgundy 3 axle merc rigid in later years . Used to be near to parker meats .

Hitmanesk:

austin70:

Hello Austin70.
I remember Cranes, on Clarendon st, right at the bottom on the right, used to be down an alley between the terraced houses. I lived on St Andrews estate in the early 70s & went to school with Ryan Crane .

That’s me mate , whats your name ? I lived there until 83 ,

FB_IMG_1541418336081.jpg
Nmp. A Dodge n not that old I reckon

austin70:

Hitmanesk:

austin70:

Hello Austin70.

My names Glenn, I lived on Martindale ?

Hitmanesk:

austin70:

Hitmanesk:

austin70:

Hello Austin70.

My names Glenn, I lived on Martindale ?

Im not gunna put a second name but did it begin with m ? or I knew another glen who had a brother called wes ? any of them you ? Ryan .

I’ve sent you a PM Ryan.
Have you got ant pics of Cranes ■■

Hitmanesk:
I’ve sent you a PM Ryan.
Have you got ant pics of Cranes ■■

I sent you a PM .
No pics mate . The family have them and we lost contact in the mid 2000s . Id like to see the pics again . Every truck apart from one was purchased brand new and a photo was taken when they came out of the signwriters , so they look mint . We did Leicester rag day carnival every year and pics were taken there too . The first pics go back to the 50s , last ones were mid 80s . Do you remember the old tipper ? The old man drove it himself and he loved it . Had it brand new in 61 and he kept it until the end , 866 EBC was the reg .

winter ,coal sides on

Eyup Coomsey,I remember Whitmore and Hickin,from Whitwick near Coalville.My Auntie and Uncle had a boozer in Whitwick late 50s,always full of colliers.