Leicester's Bygone's

FB_IMG_1499517117275.jpg

robinswh:
I do remember them was nt their yard behind the flying horse at markfield ?

Sure was, Spencers moved in after them a good while ago.I’m guessing this pic must be in the yard.

robinswh:
I do remember them was nt their yard behind the flying horse at markfield ?

It was, and at first glance you would wonder how 60 and 70 foot trailers got in there. It was necessary, coming from the motorway, to ignore the first opening just before the roundabout, then turn left at the roundabout and left again into the yard. The other opening was the exit, very tight on that dual carriageway. If I remember rightly though the roundabout was too tight for a 70 to go right round and back again so we had to continue to the next one before doubling back.

When I went there for a job, the assistant manager Geoff, said, ‘you do realise that we have very long trailers and loads here, could you manage them?’ My reply got me the job straight away as I had already been driving roadtrains in Oz.
‘Up to now I have managed around 150 feet long with 5 bends along that’. :laughing:

We did a lot of work out of Conder at Burton, 60 foot steel to the site of the new Ford engine factory at Bridgend. 2 loads down and drop the trailer, bouncing back with the unit. Then after tipping the 3rd one the crane mounted the other 2 up and we would bring all 3 back to Burton. Lots of memorable variety as well though, which is another reason why I liked the job.

Another firm which I came into contact with because of both our main offices in the North East, was Cawthorn and Sinclair.
When our shop steward ran off with another driver’s wife I was voted in to replace him. Then came the strike and Leicester was a very moderate area so resisted the wildcats in the NE and held out for a local vote. Both C&S’s steward and I agreed but were bombarded with messages from the home bases. Eventually drivers at both Leicester firms gave way and instructed us to vote strike.

We both recieved the doubtful honour of being branded communists for our troubles. :open_mouth: :unamused:

Wood & co aka Blaby Haulage, pic courtesy of my Brain Haulage book.
Because blaby had the same livery, they had 2 of these & my grandads mate Mick Brant drove one of them

re econofreight I used to work part time at the mobil station at the coalville side of the roundabout this was about 1966 when I was still at school . I cant remember if they were there then stapleford coaches were just up the road . The mobil station was run by a recently demobbed RAF pilot . A lot of cliffe hill drivers used this station . I remember a A M Walker driver who used to show off his brand new Atkinson artic which he kept in mint condition. A great location for lorry spotting. Wayne Robinson

robinswh:
re econofreight I used to work part time at the mobil station at the coalville side of the roundabout this was about 1966 when I was still at school . I cant remember if they were there then stapleford coaches were just up the road . The mobil station was run by a recently demobbed RAF pilot . A lot of cliffe hill drivers used this station . I remember a A M Walker driver who used to show off his brand new Atkinson artic which he kept in mint condition. A great location for lorry spotting. Wayne Robinson

I remember Econofrieght being behind the Flying horse pub where Spencer’s are now, Staplefords coaches were just a bit further along from where Upton steel is now.
Econofrieght used to park their really long trailers in the layby oposite Barry youngs on the island.

Moores of Ashby,

JLC00443-03.jpg

hi , does anyone have any photographs of any vehicles used by any of the following companies please ? intercounty express , evancrest transport , townsend carriers , wilkinsons transport , placketts transport , atlas express , united carriers , briers carriers . t hoyes and son , fresha bread , co op milk , olivers shoes , frisby’s shoes , wards footwear , barratts shoes . very many thanks .

heres one from atlas

13102190623_126cbfc9d0_b.jpg

does anybody know what fleet this was…its obviously Leicester…the registrations are about 1950 a fine fleet of Leyland comets and possible a few Dodges (parrott noses) .Photo appears on another thread

Leyland%20Comet%20%20GG%2020170705RB-Leyland%20GG.jpg

robinswh:
does anybody know what fleet this was…its obviously Leicester…the registrations are about 1950 a fine fleet of Leyland comets and possible a few Dodges (parrott noses) .Photo appears on another thread

They are Tom Swanson motors, he ran coal for Ellis and Everard and back loaded out of London brick for Leic’s area, all his motor’s were supplied by Ford and Slater. Information from the Leyland Journal. Cheer’s Pete

midlandsaint776:
hi , does anyone have any photographs of any vehicles used by any of the following companies please ? intercounty express , evancrest transport , townsend carriers , wilkinsons transport , placketts transport , atlas express , united carriers , briers carriers . t hoyes and son , fresha bread , co op milk , olivers shoes , frisby’s shoes , wards footwear , barratts shoes . very many thanks .

Can I add United Transport especially any draw bar pictures.

Thanks Dave…

Thank you very much Pete I don’t remember this company as I grew up in coalville I was in my pram at the time this photo was taken…when did they pack Up ? I rode in a few lorries like this that parkin and jones had from coalville they were very fast but needed an airfield to stop them !! WayneRobinson

Are these guys the ellis in everards ellis?

16068449271_4581f61d96.jpg

Ellis and Everard had a storage facility at Immingham Storage,I used to take toluene there from Staveley Chemicals.
It was a right pain in the ■■■■■■ because 3000 gallons would be under bond and 3000 gallons duty paid so it had to be weighed twice,sometime three times if some was duty free. :open_mouth: Some was drummed off and some pumped into storage……………………could be there all day. :angry:

Chris Webb:
Ellis and Everard had a storage facility at Immingham Storage,I used to take toluene there from Staveley Chemicals.
It was a right pain in the ■■■■■■ because 3000 gallons would be under bond and 3000 gallons duty paid so it had to be weighed twice,sometime three times if some was duty free. :open_mouth: Some was drummed off and some pumped into storage……………………could be there all day. :angry:

I’m coming from nowhere here Chris, but I seem to think they were a big crowd in their day. Building suppliers? n did they not own Bardon hill quarry? Somebody will know. Cheers Paul

Heres another

images 4.jpg

coomsey:

Chris Webb:

I’m coming from nowhere here Chris, but I seem to think they were a big crowd in their day. Building suppliers? n did they not own Bardon hill quarry? Somebody will know. Cheers Paul

Yes Paul, they once owned Bardon Hill quarry.

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:

Chris Webb:

Yes Paul, they once owned Bardon Hill quarry.

Pete.

Thanks Pete I thought so. Didn’t the Tom family buy it from them? I also seem to think the Toms owned a quarry up your neck of the woods? Cheers Paul