Leicester's Bygone's

gunnerheskey:

coomsey:

pete smith:
One for Tango Boy, still waiting for some pics of Emmersons F10’s mate!!

hi everyone first time here. didnt know such a thing existed, n lo n behold 1st go sister of my 1st lorry on emmersons.page 13
they had 4 ERF 8 wheelers all Lreg. all 180 Gs with DB6 boxes. mine GNR497L i think same colour has photo light green n white.2 wks later got the very bad regged GAY823L 1st to be painted red,same as now.
at that time we ran out of Belton yard. You had to back into yard not much room for turning around up top. almost impossible without shunt in 8 wheeler easy with artic but made old men out of new starters till they got used to it
when i was with them 76/77 they had afore mentioned ERFs, 1 S 80 M reg 8w 180G, 2 N reg Atki 8w 180G with the abortion of DB 8sp.2ERF Jreg artics 180G.2 Nreg ATKI artcs 240G not sure of box. p reg sed atki artic 240g n just before i left F88 day cab artic the 1st foreigner
Mostly coal down to smoke n scrap back to sheff/brum good paying n tidy lorries
sorry for going on but hope fills in a few gaps in info
no photos cant think why not probably thought everything would stop the same forever. how wrong can you be!!!

Welcome coomsey !
Great insight into emmersons, up until a few years ago there was a White scania with an orange tipper with emmersons on the side with the Belton address, I take it it was related

That would be Christopher Emerson Glen.
The orange trailer is now owned by JJ&S nr Swindon don’t know what happend to the unit.
He’s had a Black Magnum since then which Barretts from Notts are running now and he now runs a Topline Scania ex Garners from Scotland with one of our grain trailers.

tango boy:

gunnerheskey:

coomsey:

pete smith:
One for Tango Boy, still waiting for some pics of Emmersons F10’s mate!!

hi everyone first time here. didnt know such a thing existed, n lo n behold 1st go sister of my 1st lorry on emmersons.page 13
they had 4 ERF 8 wheelers all Lreg. all 180 Gs with DB6 boxes. mine GNR497L i think same colour has photo light green n white.2 wks later got the very bad regged GAY823L 1st to be painted red,same as now.
at that time we ran out of Belton yard. You had to back into yard not much room for turning around up top. almost impossible without shunt in 8 wheeler easy with artic but made old men out of new starters till they got used to it
when i was with them 76/77 they had afore mentioned ERFs, 1 S 80 M reg 8w 180G, 2 N reg Atki 8w 180G with the abortion of DB 8sp.2ERF Jreg artics 180G.2 Nreg ATKI artcs 240G not sure of box. p reg sed atki artic 240g n just before i left F88 day cab artic the 1st foreigner
Mostly coal down to smoke n scrap back to sheff/brum good paying n tidy lorries
sorry for going on but hope fills in a few gaps in info
no photos cant think why not probably thought everything would stop the same forever. how wrong can you be!!!

Welcome coomsey !
Great insight into emmersons, up until a few years ago there was a White scania with an orange tipper with emmersons on the side with the Belton address, I take it it was related

That would be Christopher Emerson Glen.
The orange trailer is now owned by JJ&S nr Swindon don’t know what happend to the unit.
He’s had a Black Magnum since then which Barretts from Notts are running now and he now runs a Topline Scania ex Garners from Scotland with one of our grain trailers.

yes youre right about scania. Chris i believe is grandson of either CC orRJ emmerson he was driving ERFartic when i was on for them and had the F88 also another grandson Graham had 8w atki if my memory serves me well
my 1st doings with emmo was has co pilot with my cousin barry hodgets. passed away . he started with birchers at ibstock but not george bircher some relative brother/ cousin?? he had dodge 4w n park royal 6w running out of bardon. went to parkin n jones on commers,loud or what. running out of whitwick quarry.started on leyland octopus for emmersons in there colours red n greenthink it was theirs from new then had mk5 aec blue n red old nail. eventually on to mickey mouse foden.rhis would be early 60s. their fleet then 7/8 mickey mouse 8w n mickey mouse twin steer artic.at that time they started moving more coal n less out of bardon.
thats all i know about them. when you think about all the tipper firms that have gone from coalvile area they must be good at what they do.
got a few more memories/info on other firms n ill post if im not boring you all

what was your cousins name.?..my dad was weighbridge clerk at whitwick Hughie Robinson. He would have known your cousin. I knew a lot of parkins and jones drivers when I was a kid they had one aec 8 legger NRA 814 it was driven by Freddie sykes from thringston this was a 1949 model and was still working in 1968 after Parkins had packed up. My dad had a weeks holiday in 1958 so he spent it driving for emmersons I remember going to their yard in belton they only had 2 eight wheelers both Leyland octopuses in the old green and red colour the one my dad drove was a slightly lighter colour sort of lime green. He was running to slough out of bardon all week. The rest of the fleet were mostly Leyland comets

robinswh:
what was your cousins name.?..my dad was weighbridge clerk at whitwick Hughie Robinson. He would have known your cousin. I knew a lot of parkins and jones drivers when I was a kid they had one aec 8 legger NRA 814 it was driven by Freddie sykes from thringston this was a 1949 model and was still working in 1968 after Parkins had packed up. My dad had a weeks holiday in 1958 so he spent it driving for emmersons I remember going to their yard in belton they only had 2 eight wheelers both Leyland octopuses in the old green and red colour the one my dad drove was a slightly lighter colour sort of lime green. He was running to slough out of bardon all week. The rest of the fleet were mostly Leyland comets

hi robin cousin was Barry Hodgetts born coalville but lived mostly in Ibstock. he would have started for Parkins about 62/63 had commer 2 stroke 4w double silencer what a sound.he was on for them about 2yrs so was bound to have known your dad. The octopus he drove for Emmersons i believe was dark green n red so probably not the one your dad drove mores the pitywhen i was on for them their colours were red, lime green n white wondered at the time where the lime green came from but must have used it at the time of dad driving.
He started for emmersons 64/65 ish and was with them for 15/20 yrs ended up with John Newbold at Ibstock till he retired

by the by i drove for whitmore n hicken ,75ish had 3 mounts lad /ergo/bathgate cabbed albion reivers and obviously run out of whitwick was your dad on the weighbridge then? although his name doesnt ring a bell but then theres not many bell ringing names left in my head now

Cos Ive got no other photos!!
my mount on the morning she started work about 87/88. The car mine sierra 1.6 UMA 112A
it,s in leic,s n bygone n truck, wouldn,t like to run it down road though

Bygones so many pit closures did for most Coalville area.Tallis n Cresswell I drove for them 74ish eric tallis n colin cresswell I think. Yard behind corner pin pub donnington le heath.Past hgv on Ford D series onto mickey mouse 24t 8 wheeler 150g. 698 BAY? Blidworth pit down to smoke scrap back. sometimes Bardon to W Drayton n scrap.She only let me down once odd worn tyres on back end you could fry eggs on diff housing! Went onto ERF 180g 6spd DB good gal never missed a beat,you can understand why bosses had em.Only had 1 do with her exhaust fell off bottom o M1 sat morning brought it back was deaf has a post by time I got in.Best bit got bllking for not bringing exhaust back, it was flat as a pancake after running over it can,t imagine what they would have done with it.
they had 2 x M M fodens my ERF /Atky mk2 artic/A series ERF artic/atky 8 whlr/sed atky 8whlr all gardners.Gone with time n houses built on yard as usual.

now then Gunner hope I,m not stepping on your toes? thought it best to put my twopenneth worth in afore I forget or can,t be ar**d
Bancroft n Powers.This,ll draw your eye Wayne! started bout 77/78 J reg ERF ,■■■■■■■ 180? db 6. LOUD!!! LOUDER THAN ANYTHING I,D EVER DRIVEN BEFORE EXCEPT 180 GARDNER WHEN EXHAUST DROPPED OFF.
Bricks out of Butterly Desford everywhere n bricks back to midlands from everywhere?? Then onto L reg same spec still LOUD!!! Onto M reg Atky MK2 ■■■■■■■ 200/220 not sure. 10 spd road ranger box.Never used 6th, had to lean against door to get it. Had visions of ending up on road with lorry hurtling down the road without me. Not so loud. Then onto new Leyland octopus one of 3, mine PAY 127 R other two 126/128.lovely quiet fast n warm.Had more breakdowns in it then all the other lorries put together.At that time they also had Buffalo n Albion Riever neither had cranes. Sold out lorries to A J Fowkes in Appleby Magna they run out of Butterly Heather.The coach side they kept running until finish. Don,t know owt about that but Wayne def, does

Sunday pm missus watching Midsummer Murder s**t yet again. May as well finish my drivel n leave you all in peace.
left A J fowkes good firm just got itchy feet.
Tarmac Cliffe Hill.Started on Scammel 24t 8 whlr one of 4 Jreg. I think 21 loads dry stone to sidings,near the new Amazon site, a day money earnt.Soon got fed up with that asked and got put on normal work Lreg S 39 9 spd foden 30t one of 4.after onto M reg S80 one of about 8/9. At that time they had I think 6 T reg S83 n then 6 haulmaster 6 whlrs.Bad winter bad money left n went to Trev Glovers Coleorton L reg S39 12 spd 28t. VRA 39 k. usual coal/scrap. they had approx 8/9 all Fodens,all Gardners. Trev a BIG lad but sound as a pound, big pidgeon man. Got start on Ravenstone opencast,biggest in Europe at that time. 30% more wage third less hours n you,ll be glad to know never drove a lorry on the road again or ever will, man of leisure now.
All yours now Gunner cheers Coomsey

coomsey:
Sunday pm missus watching Midsummer Murder s**t yet again. May as well finish my drivel n leave you all in peace.
Tarmac Cliffe Hill.Started on Scammel 24t 8 whlr one of 4 Jreg. I think 21 loads dry stone to sidings,near the new Amazon site, a day money earnt.Soon got fed up with that asked and got put on normal work Lreg S 39 9 spd foden 30t one of 4.after onto M reg S80 one of about 8/9. At that time they had I think 6 T reg S83 n then 6 haulmaster 6 whlrs.Bad winter bad money left n went to Trev Glovers Coleorton L reg S39 12 spd 28t. VRA 39 k. usual coal/scrap. they had approx 8/9 all Fodens,all Gardners. Trev a BIG lad but sound as a pound, big pidgeon man. Got start on Ravenstone opencast,biggest in Europe at that time. 30% more wage third less hours n you,ll be glad to know never drove a lorry on the road again or ever will, man of leisure now.

Superb read Coomsey :laughing:
Really enjoyed that, Butterly aggs & AJ Fowkes stirred a few memories,
Great insight mate . :sunglasses:

gunnerheskey:

coomsey:

Borrowed from another site,
M20 photographs, I’ll take the blame :wink:

IMG_2073.JPG

gunnerheskey:

gunnerheskey:

coomsey:

Borrowed from another site,
M20 photographs, I’ll take the blame :wink:

Glad you liked it.
fowkes dad Horace had Seddon 24t 8 whlr n other guy seddon 4 whlr. David son had AEC mm Mreg good tool other son Alan had ERF 180 with 6 DB had it painted butterly colours the rest dark green n red n old Marathon bought 2nd hand.
Met alan by chance about year ago.He,d not long sold last motor n now drives for brickyard not sure who owns Desford now,David I think in Spain
Went into Bancroft n powers yard Thurs pm boss dashed out says make note of how much diesel you put in,n hang about till all the drivers got back summat to tell us all. bout 2hr later we,ve sold out to Fowkes me n 2 others on octopus to go to them rest finished! Bit of a bombshell.
anyway next day did business as usual n loaded for Sat then back to fowkes yard. Had to ask at post office in Appleby to find my employer bit odd I thought at the time but good firm.If you were running with any of the family the mum Sheila would invite you into house n give you bacon sarnie n cuppa.
Happy days

Whitmore n Hicken had about 12 motors all Leyland all bought 2nd hand but tidy. Bisons n 4 Reivers 2 ex whitwick quarry UUT ###H funnyositys to drive I always thought used to bang knuckles on bonnet changing 1/2 gears n elbow on back of cab with other 1/2 of gears, if not loaded correct had nasty habit of not going round bends. It were a balancing act between getting grip up front n being able to turn steering wheel.76ish didn,t stop with them long had my one n only bump with them, nowt were said but always felt guilty.Reiver ergo cab WUT 526 J met same at narrow bridge Ardley on the old A43.he had 6 berth caravan after the coming together 2 berth van n me Reiver LHD 1/2 cab.
Fresh cab fitted n away we went. Just a quick bygone memory with her.It was a sat. lovely summer morning bout 6 am loaded stone for M Keynes called in Blue Boar for some matches shop shut nobody about so went down M1 a ways n pulled onto hard shoulder n waited. Bout 5 mins later one of emmersons saw me n pulled in, didn,t smoke. within 15 mins there was 12 lorries pulled up.1 Tarmac, 2 Glovers. 1 Orpwood 4 S Jones Aldridge n god knows who else had to start flagging em by got my light though. Would that ever happen now I,m told no chance. bloody marvellous I thought at the time

One for " Beetie "

IMG_2147.JPG

Where it all it began artic wise for me & where I got a taste of European work 1991.
B-reg M.A.N 20.332. After a blue B reg 19.292.
1st ever trip abroad was to Besancon about 1991, tip besancon change trailers with another of our seasoned European lads at arras, on for 5 drops Norfolk & was still home Friday night.
Happy days. Never did as much Europe as I wanted to but hey ho’ .
Pinnacle finished with there own lorries, I got another job at AML Transport & didn’t set foot on a ferry for another 3 years, the nearest I got was subbing for Pinnacle & doing Change overs at Dover with subbies.
Happy days tho’

IMG_2117.JPG

gunnerheskey:
Anyone got any info on this Gem I found on t’ tinterweb

This belonged to Keith Higginson in Earl Shilton he had a couple of them if my memory serves me right. He parked them in Scotts yard until he moved into the garage at the bottom of the hill as you go out of Shilton towards Leicester.

gunnerheskey:
One for " Beetie "

I’m sure I posted that! Its on the website, i’ve got the original pic on my desk as we speak! :wink:

I’m sure this is from the same show at Crick…

terrydyer1949:

gunnerheskey:
Anyone got any info on this Gem I found on t’ tinterweb

This belonged to Keith Higginson in Earl Shilton he had a couple of them if my memory serves me right. He parked them in Scotts yard until he moved into the garage at the bottom of the hill as you go out of Shilton towards Leicester.

Nice one pal cheers :smiley:

Beetie:

gunnerheskey:
One for " Beetie "

I’m sure I posted that! Its on the website, i’ve got the original pic on my desk as we speak! :wink:

Fairly do’s. Which web site ?

gunnerheskey:

Beetie:

gunnerheskey:
One for " Beetie "

Fairly do’s. Which web site ?

Lol no worries post away! I’m sure that’s on the company website I’ll take a ganders in a min…
Love the ma walkers stuff being from cosby…

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk