Legal or not?

Unfortunately rubbing out the word “immediately” from VOSAs booklet wouldn’t change the EU regulations.

It’s always seemed daft to me that you can legally move parcels around a warehouse then go and drive for 4.5 hours but you can’t drive for 4.5 hours then legally move parcels around a warehouse, like I said it’s completely illogical :unamused:

Surely it means that after 4.5h you must immediately have a break from driving, not doing other work, so you can drive for 4.5,tip for 30min and then take your 45,so long as you dont move your truck you aint broke the law.

dowahdiddyman:
Surely it means that after 4.5h you must immediately have a break from driving, not doing other work,

No, the regulations say you shall take a break and that means from driving and other work. There are only two legal options on reaching 4.5 hours driving and they are break or rest, anything else would be an offence so no other work and no POA at that point.

Coffeeholic:

alf apsey:
Personally i would say not legal, as you have said you have driven 12hrs in a 24hr period,and tacho rules run on a 24hr spread.

They do but after a daily rest period you begin a new 24 hour period. The tacho rules 24 hour period is not the same as a calendar 24 hours.

What’s the difference between tacho 24 hours & calender 24 hours :question:

bonnie lass:

Coffeeholic:

alf apsey:
Personally i would say not legal, as you have said you have driven 12hrs in a 24hr period,and tacho rules run on a 24hr spread.

They do but after a daily rest period you begin a new 24 hour period. The tacho rules 24 hour period is not the same as a calendar 24 hours.

What’s the difference between tacho 24 hours & calender 24 hours :question:

A 24 hour period for the tacho rules, for the purpose of calculating daily rest periods, begins when you resume work after a rest period but can end before 24 hours have elapsed. The 24 hour period is only used for calculating daily rest

Example.

Monday, start work 06:00, 24 hour period begins
Finish work 16:00
9 hours daily rest
Tuesday, resume work 01:00, new 24 hour period begins and daily rest period must be completed by latest 01:00 Wednesday but new 24 hour period may begin sooner if rest is completed earlier.

The first 24 hour period there was actually over with in 19 hours.

Driving time is only limited to 9 or 10 hours between rest periods and not in 24 hours. In 24 calendar hours you could drive 13.5 hours and be legal.

Start at 06:00
15 minutes other work for vehicle checks.
4.5 hours driving
45 minute break
4.5 hours driving
Finish 16:00
9 hour daily rest
Start work at 01:00
15 minutes other work for vehicle checks.
4.5 hours driving
05:45 start 45 minute break.
06:00 end of 24 calendar hours.

Thanks coffeeholic :smiley:

bonnie lass:
Thanks coffeeholic :smiley:

Glad you could understand that because I have just been out for the night in Belgium with friends, as I am sitting on exactly 89 hours driving for my fortnight so can’t start again until about 23:00 tomorrow night, and I am as ■■■■■■ as a cricket so not sure it made any sense. :blush: :blush: :laughing: :wink:

I’ll have another look in the morning and see where I cocked up. :wink:

dave:
wonder how many drivers actually adhere to this because i know i dont and ive never had any infrigments etc re this. many a time ive got to a delivery point or back at base bang on the limit and either tipped the tanker and then had a break or done some paperwork and gone home.i cant be the only one.

Who has said there’s no infringements, your employer? Like they’re likely to know. I had one place I worked at who claimed to go by the rules and had a dedicated traffic office yet every week I’d have a sheet of infringements because I’d drive 4hrs, spend 1hr tipping, drive 15 minutes then take 45 minute break. The dumbasses thought it was 4.5hrs regardless of what you were doing and then a 45 break, not driving. They were still claiming they were right 2 years later when I left.