Left-Hand Drive E-series ERFs

Quite sure the Norseman had a 465 step timer in it.Owner said it was the best motor they ever had.Including fuel economy.

railstaff:
Quite sure the Norseman had a 465 step timer in it.Owner said it was the best motor they ever had.Including fuel economy.

True, the owner did say it was the best motor he ever ran. The 465 version of the 14-litre ■■■■■■■ lump in the E-series was introduced in about 1990. However, the Norseman unit had an SAMT 'box. Robert

And as for the E14:465, well…

In pursuit of my quest above, I asked myself was the NTE 400 offered in the LHD option? Well, according to a scan I have of a Spanish magazine, a ■■■■■■■ 400 was offered but it doesn’t say whether NTE.

What we do know that was offered in LHD E-series units was:

Perkins TX:

E12:400
E12:385

■■■■■■■■

E14:335
E14:340
E14:350
E14:380
E14:400
E14:410

Surely one of those has to be compatible with a 9-sp Fuller in LHD format!

Robert

Always found it strange how ERF quoted conservative power and torque ratings.Only seemed to apply to the ■■■■■■■ powered vehicles.Take the CM snippet above,quoting a Euro 1 N14 500 Celect at 1500 lbs ft that was a genuine 150 lbs ft short of the official ■■■■■■■ calibration.Same thing applied to the Euro 2 N14 525 Celect plus quoted by ERF at 1650 lbs ft,yet the ■■■■■■■ calibration was 1850 lbs ft.Quite strange me thinks.

railstaff:
Always found it strange how ERF quoted conservative power and torque ratings.Only seemed to apply to the ■■■■■■■ powered vehicles.Take the CM snippet above,quoting a Euro 1 N14 500 Celect at 1500 lbs ft that was a genuine 150 lbs ft short of the official ■■■■■■■ calibration.Same thing applied to the Euro 2 N14 525 Celect plus quoted by ERF at 1650 lbs ft,yet the ■■■■■■■ calibration was 1850 lbs ft.Quite strange me thinks.

I have an interested article from CM (26th Jan - 1st Feb '95) called Heart of Gold. It says that the E14:465 was introduced in 1990 with the STC-controlled 465 giving an installed rating of 429bhp. ERF only sold two and they dropped this option in Feb '91 as they were about to introduce the new electronically controlled ■■■■■■■ ‘Celect’. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
In pursuit of my quest above, I asked myself was the NTE 400 offered in the LHD option? Well, according to a scan I have of a Spanish magazine, a ■■■■■■■ 400 was offered but it doesn’t say whether NTE.

What we do know that was offered in LHD E-series units was:

Perkins TX:

E12:400
E12:385

■■■■■■■■

E14:335
E14:340
E14:350
E14:380
E14:400
E14:410

Surely one of those has to be compatible with a 9-sp Fuller in LHD format!

Robert

Re above: I notice that the French spec-sheets for the LHD E-series offer ■■■■■■■ NTAA 340 / 380 / 410. Am I right in thinking that the NTAA preceded the electronic ‘Celect’ system? Robert

The NTAA (stc) predated the N series electronic but did run along side for awhile until Euro 2 introduction.

railstaff:
The NTAA (stc) predated the N series electronic but did run along side for awhile until Euro 2 introduction.

Thanks! Robert

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that the Norseman had a 410 in it! Robert

Did it? I remember an E series with a 465 in it and then the owner swapped it for 1748 and hated the Merc,infact it went back as it was very heavy on fuel.I must have my wires crossed.

railstaff:
Did it? I remember an E series with a 465 in it and then the owner swapped it for 1748 and hated the Merc,infact it went back as it was very heavy on fuel.I must have my wires crossed.

If you look on page 1 of this thread there’s an article on it from a magazine. Cheers, Robert

right,thanks.

railstaff:

The small difference in power output is down to the engine manufacturer quoting gross, while the chassis builder quotes net, for example 465 vs 429. I have not come across those large differences in the peak torque figure though. I would not be able to explain it. Do you have links to spec. sheets, which show those discrepancies?

Yes i do,but it would be quite hard to post as its on another laptop in an actual engine diagnostic system.But even by using gross and net it doesnt explain the differences.Neither does SAE and DIN.Perhaps to leave something in the bag for the following year?

Meanwhile, I’ve been checking back on some facts and here you have it chaps, in theory the best premium tractive unit of the ‘90s (using my slightly eccentric set of criteria). Here’s the timeline for the ultimate E-series:

1987 introduction of NTE 400 / 9-sp Fuller combo

1992 introduction of twin-bunk high-roof option *

1993 introduction of LHD

The result is a 400-powered E-series in LHD with a high roof and a 9-sp Fuller!

Robert :sunglasses:

*see following post

With regard to the above ^^^ mentioned introduction of optional high cabs on E-series, the following is an extract from a report in Commercial Motor 2nd July 1992:

*"ERF is boosting the appeal of its premium tractor range with the launch of a new highroof cab and the adoption of the latest ■■■■■■■ 14-litre E380 Euro-1 engine in October.

The optional high cab provides 640trim more headroom and comes with two bunks as standard (a single bunk can still be specified), along with extra stowage space and a built-in wardrobe. It adds 130kg to the kerbweight. The top bunk can be folded down to give even more space behind the driver’s seat.

The high-roof cabin has the same 3.7m exterior height as a standard sleeper with ERF’s full air management kit.

The high-roof option underlines ERF’s desire to woo small fleet buyers and owner operators away from continental marques (CM 20-26 Feb). It costs £2,750 more than a conventional sleeper cab."

Robert

So the ‘‘Norseman’’ cab was a production job, rather than a one-off, as I had been assuming? I would be amazed if there were photos of any others about the place.

[zb]
anorak:
So the ‘‘Norseman’’ cab was a production job, rather than a one-off, as I had been assuming? I would be amazed if there were photos of any others about the place.

Well, the Norseman was a one-off in the sense that it was the only LHD E-series with the high cab. However, there were other RHD jobs, such as this one operated by Mick Jones (with a Cu 450 in it!). He sent my this pic himself so he probably took the photo. Robert

pics1.jpg

Regarding the above high-roofed E-series, REVS member Jerry Cooke has just been in touch with me and kindly filled me in on the history. There were only 5 of these built.

1. The LHD ‘Norseman’ unit with 410 ■■■■■■■ and SAMT.
  2. The Jona unit pictured above. This one was new to S Jones of Aldridge and had a ■■■■■■■ 410 and Twin-splitter. Jona later increased its output to 450. Its third axle was a lift-and-steer job.
  3. Derry Bros in Ireland had the third.
  4. The fourth one was a 4x2 with a 380 ■■■■■■■ and went to Saville Freight of Bristol.
  5. The fifth one was a rigid 4x2 and went to Britax. I’ve found a picture of it (below).

Cheers, Robert

JLC00222-12.jpg
CZC00132-14.jpg