Left-Hand Drive C-series ERFs

A whole year since anything was posted on this thread! Well, we have some more LHD C-series 6x4 sleepers on here today that were spotted working in the Middle East. Not my pics. Notice the Trilex wheels! Ro

Those are on 24" wheels. Looking at the clearance to the arch, it adds more certainty to ERF MAN’s explanation for the odd cab step.

NMPs

Nice bit of ERF film on youtube:

bing.com/videos/search?q=er … &FORM=VIRE

Plus, some excellent footage of LHD 4x2 export B-series ERFs with sleeper cabs, bound for Abu Dhabi right at the end of this ERF video:

youtube.com/watch?v=QHgRkdKApK8

EDIT to add that the footage described ^^ kicks in at 12:44 mins on the clip :wink:

Last night, when I discovered those two films (the links to which I posted above ^^^); I viewed a 3rd film, which I cannot re-find. It wasn’t relevant enough to post here, but one line in the ERF promotion patter stated that the SP3 cabs on the production line (being shown at that moment) were exports to the Middle-East and were of full European spec. If anyone can locate that for us, I’d be grateful.

The reason that ‘full European spec’ claim is important to me, is that I’d always assumed that as by the time the C-series came out ERF had left the European market and wouldn’t be re-entering it for several more years, export models to the M/E would be more basic and wouldn’t be required to meet the exacting standards of the EEC/EU. It wasn’t clear whether the whole tractive unit would be Euro-spec or just the cab. To muddy the waters a little, we already know (on this thread) that quite a number of Middle-East export C-series units went out with left-over LHD B-series parts and that almost certainly included cabs or cab shells. So perhaps the promo film was being a tad disingenuous!

To un-muddy those waters, it also seems likely that by that time all ERFs were Euro-spec anyway (post 1974) and that by the time the CP-series was out 10 years later, the common-parts philosophy meant that having Euro-spec and non-Euro-spec would have been unnecessary and expensive; bearing in mind that the whole point of CP was to try to narrow down all the possible permutations to ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ and to standardise everything else as much as possible.

ERF-NGC-European:
Plus, some excellent footage of LHD 4x2 export C-series ERFs with sleeper cabs, bound for Abu Dhabi right at the end of this ERF video:

EDIT to add that the footage described ^^ kicks in at 12:44 mins on the clip :wink:

Aren’t they B series Ro?. Blue interior, and no stainless trim around the grill.

colinwallace1:

ERF-NGC-European:
Plus, some excellent footage of LHD 4x2 export C-series ERFs with sleeper cabs, bound for Abu Dhabi right at the end of this ERF video:

Aren’t they B series Ro?. Blue interior, and no stainless trim around the grill.

OMG! You’re right, of course :blush: :unamused: ! I’d better re-post the link on the B-series thread. :laughing:

PS: I’ve edited my original post, so as not to confuse readers on here. You can still see my original post encased in Colin’s post above :wink:

Love this thread! If I could do a last stint of international, using the old roads; this would be my steed of choice - LHD C-series with big cam 290 ■■■■■■■ and the slick RTX 11609 Fuller box. Perfect!

Les Sylphides:
Love this thread! If I could do a last stint of international, using the old roads; this would be my steed of choice - LHD C-series with big cam 290 ■■■■■■■ and the slick RTX 11609 Fuller box. Perfect!

Yeah I’m with you there. With all road-going NGC tractive units gone, this would be my choice too. :sunglasses:

Its rescuer and owner, Nick Bull, took it to Gaydon about six years ago. I sat up in its cab; and I lusted and craved :laughing: . Nick, who knew I wrote about ERFs on Middle-East work muttered – almost to himself: ‘this one’s got your name written all over it’. I totally agreed! Alas, even though I could just have afforded to buy it at that time - and it was up for grabs - I lacked mechanical knowhow, the restoration skills, the storage facilities and the means with which to maintain such an expensive project. And though it was complete, it did need restoring. I wonder where it is now.

Actually, I’d probably go for one of these ERF factory Middle-East spec 6x4s with its Euro-spec cab. The 6x4s came with ■■■■■■■ 14-litre NTCE 350 with Fuller RTX 14609 gearbox. Yes I know, I’ve read all the stuff about them not being cost-effective on general haulage etc etc, but if I’ve only got to drive them, then gimme one of those :laughing: ! – Ace machine!

Scan_20161124.jpg

No, deffo 4x2 for me! You could get a ■■■■■■■ 14-ltr 320 in a C-series (I drove one) so I expect you could ask for one in a M/E spec 4x2 unit. That’d do me :smiley: