Leaving the truck where it is and coming back with the keys

Yes he did.

But it actually does state that he missed out on his 4 day break at the beginning of that sentence.

At a previous employer I was flown out to collect a dumped truck from Cologne, about a month later I had to travel out with another driver to collect a truck from Majorca :smiley:

That company went through a stage of ■■■■■■■ off drivers quite regularly!! :laughing: :laughing:

jdc:
At a previous employer I was flown out to collect a dumped truck from Cologne, about a month later I had to travel out with another driver to collect a truck from Majorca :smiley:

That company went through a stage of ■■■■■■■ off drivers quite regularly!! :laughing: :laughing:

I bet you didn’t mind the drivers leaving though! :wink:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

jdc:

I bet you didn’t mind the drivers leaving though! :wink:

I was actively encouraging them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The only time ive done something like that is one day i started at 0500 and after i did all my deliveries i was told to go and do a pickup, so i got there about 2pm and i was informed that the load would not be ready until at least 7pm :open_mouth:

i phoned the depot only to be told by the manager thats fine you can sit and wait on it…the pickup was only 20 mins from the depot !! :imp:

i then told him that it was 50 pallets ( i had a decker that took 45 pallets ) and he then said pickup half the load then come back to the depot, unload and then go back for the rest…

this guy was known for pssing off drivers and he had shfted me a few times in the past so i said no i need to be back for 5pm as i need to pick up my son from nursery and i will only bring back what is ready at that time…

no matter how many times he shouted at me i kept saying no, so he shouted i will see you when you get in and slammed the phone down on me…when i got back into the depot i looked at him and said " well ? "…he just turned around and walked away :laughing:

as a group once, 4 drivers including me had to be at North Weald Airfield with just our units, to collect 4 x Tilts and get them offloaded, our intl guys had brought them in over the weekend and shipped back out, the loads were steel and the tilts had to be stripped right down to offload, we only found this out when we got to pick up point, of course. It was winter and p###ing it down.

Driver 1 said no way when he got there, quit on the spot, the 2nd guy got carried away with the situation and agreed and left also, the 3rd guy was 60 in the shade and said he couldn’t cope with it.
I was left the poor sap who had to phone the TM, by this time he knew basically what had happened because driver 1 had phoned him at home.
Call basically went as follows… “Larry, bad news, 2 of the drivers have left and I am here with !!.. what shall I do ? " answer
" Gray, send !!.. off also, I’ve got him a load out of Harlow, you go ahead and get all 4 tipped… thanks mate your a star” :open_mouth: :frowning:

…more like cheers mate your a MUG !! :open_mouth:

Here’s one someone may recognise (no names ).Driver takes truck from Leeds and drops trailer in Genoa and returns with unit to Leeds and leaves the keys,he phones boss (an owner driver ) and says what he has done and to stick the job.I don’t know the reasons but I just happen to ring his boss looking for a job and he explains there is no job for me but if I go to Genoa unit only pick up his trailer and tip and load Prato he would pay me as a one off.Me as never being abroad jumps at the chance and end up spending most of my life driving back and forth across Europe doing a big variety of work,finishing with 20 years of rock and roll wouldn’t change any of it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I left a mini bus parked in Dublin with the engine running, called my then Mrs and went home. All because the boss moaned I was driving with lights on in the daytime (Old biking habit) and bulbs were expensive.

Right time right place, and you just know a lot of driver’s would have said stuff that.

Not on the roadside but I left one company with their truck in a dealers workshop as they refused to pay for a hotel and expected me to bed down in the drivers waiting room- for 4 days . I left the keys with the dealer and left to hitch home, when they had a change of heart texted me and agreed to pay for a hotel- but wouldn’t pay me for the 4 days stood- only night out money- I was home next morning and started a new job the day after - not going to name names but it was a certain crane firm who had a depot in Southall - now being used by a far more reputable crane company

This is a pet hate of mine having seen so many lorries dumped around Europe. I haven’t worked for anyone who have not worked with me, don’t get me wrong, I have had some flaming rows with planners and depot staff, but the job got done and I would get the time off when I got back.

While working in a traffic office I saw the other side, when customers were being unreasonable, as an ex driver I was always on the side of the driver, yet have been forced into a position, if we were to work for them again, we would have to jump through their hoops.

I am sure there were a few professional dumpers in the 80’s and probably long before that, they would load a trailer, pick up the running money and take it a couple of days into Europe, never to be seen again, well not by the company anyway.

Not sure if it’s true, but a mate told me his elder brother got so ■■■■■■ off with the company he was driving for that after doing a delivery in Hornsea, he drove to the seafront, parked up and locked the truck, slung the keys into the sea and got the train home. Home was Bolton! Like I said, don’t know if it’s true…but I really hope it is.