lease or buy??

mrginge:

Carryfast:
Not exactly where did I say I was going to under cut any rate. :confused: I said I personally don’t need a big wage so I could work less days and use an otherwise suicidal business model based on short term truck hire.But with the upside that if it breaks I don’t care I just ask them for another one,**if there’s no work I could take it back for no extra charge,the same applies in the case of all my days off when I don’t need it.Again no charge.**Then last but not least I’d pay no income tax because I wouldn’t be earning enough.So as I said what’s not to like. :wink:

Which leaves the question how do you register what could be a different truck every week on an O licence.

Seem like effort constantly hiring a truck for work a few days here and there. Surely if you ain’t putting your name on the truck you might as well be an agency mercenary.

Agencies are fine if anyone likes lots of local multi drop/building/retail deliveries etc.

While I’d guess as always it would be making the figures add up rather than worrying about the writing on the side.In which case it’s surprising how many days that 4 days a week over the next 5 years adds up to x daily short term hire charges.I think that expensive,unreliable,difficult to fix modern technology and resulting depreciation,combined with maintenance costs v real world sub contract haulage rates,are reaching the point where anyone would think twice regardless of which plan they might decide to go for.

However you look at it truck purchase/maintenance/depreciation costs,all of which are obviously also factored into hire rates,added to fuel costs,are always running way too close on the balance sheet to what the truck can earn,regardless of the driver’s wage.

Still leaning towards buying tbh,

Maybe to spend a bit more possibly prob end up just going with buying a unit off maritime at least there’s an option for work after and 12 month warranty etc, and the trailers are free to hire just got to cover tyres I believe.

Hello All,

I am thinking of going down this route as well, but been looking in to buying 2016 unit on finance, it’s 10% deposit, and they might be able to defer VAT for 3 months then once you get it you return it to the company you brought the unit off, you have a set monthly payment over 5 years, but they want 4 months bank statements as well, do this sound about right ?

Ghost01:
Hello All,

I am thinking of going down this route as well, but been looking in to buying 2016 unit on finance, it’s 10% deposit, and they might be able to defer VAT for 3 months then once you get it you return it to the company you brought the unit off, you have a set monthly payment over 5 years, but they want 4 months bank statements as well, do this sound about right ?

There are many ways of organising a truck purchase.
The one single big problem in being an owner-driver is getting enough money into your bank. All other hurdles can be overcome.
Get a GOOD customer and everything else is detail.

Wee Man:
Still leaning towards buying tbh,

Maybe to spend a bit more possibly prob end up just going with buying a unit off maritime at least there’s an option for work after and 12 month warranty etc, and the trailers are free to hire just got to cover tyres I believe.

Maritimes truck prices are joke!