Lay-by parking

Maybe some enterprising council could make it a condition of planning permission for these large suprmarkets, that their car parks are to be made available for HGV parking during the night time.

del949:
Maybe some enterprising council could make it a condition of planning permission for these large suprmarkets, that their car parks are to be made available for HGV parking during the night time.

No, no, no. I don’t want to smell ■■■■ and have to walk through it when I go food shopping thank you very much.

What makes matters worse is that in a lot of cases the store are open 24 hours and have toilets, the drivers are just too lazy to walk there.
Years ago at BP truck stop on the A5 near Rugby a saw someone had taken a dump under his truck in the nearest spot to the main entrance. How disgutingly lazy could that man be ?
Trouble is those same guys will talk to us and complain about men who do this.

There are some good comments on this post, BUT…they wont make a blind bit of difference, and i dont care how many e.mails you send, how many unions you complain to, nothing will get done. The only way, is through a joint iniative, by everyone belonging to the same union.
HOW MANY DRIVERS ON T.NET BELONG TO A UNION, LETS HAVE A POLL
years ago it was very easy to park in town centres, that was because the debris/bomb sites allowed us to, once it was cleaned up, they didnt want us, where are the transport cafes, bed and breakfast for drivers, etc, etc, all gone cos no one used them when the sleeper cab was brought in ( by unions )
How many town centres have weight limits now, thats to stop us from going in there ( except for deliveries )
They did a survey in London recently to tell us how many vehicles owe parking fines, the highest was truckers ( never mind the embassies ) so if a transport firm cannot deliver its goods, without hindrance, how do you expect a government to supply decent parking facilities, and when the private companies do provide quality parking and facilities, who still ■■■■■ and ■■■■■■ around the other parked vehicles…TRUCKERS…

all gone cos no one used them when the sleeper cab was brought in ( by unions )

how on earth do you work that out?

howatsi:

del949:
as an alternative ALL of you write to your MP, start the ball rolling now

writetothem.com/

it will take 5 mins.

Fairplay del949 it only took me 10 minutes, come on lads and lasses we CAN make a difference! :slight_smile:

I,ve also done it, first time in my life I have ever contacted an MP, so easy using this site, any chance of Rikki getting involved from an official perspective?
What truckyboy says is maybe right, but the only alternative is to sit on apathetic arses and do nowt, at least it,s a start, acorns/oak trees etc etc.

Eh :confused: some of you dont mind driving at 40mph+ on A-roads passing oncoming trucks by only a couple of feet but parking up in a layby scares you :laughing: at least when your asleep you wont witness the lorry that is about to kill you.
Also why petition for more paid parking? :confused:

I started one for FREE parking with my MP! :unamused:

bubsy06:
Eh :confused: some of you dont mind driving at 40mph+ on A-roads passing oncoming trucks by only a couple of feet but parking up in a layby scares you :laughing: at least when your asleep you wont witness the lorry that is about to kill you.

That,s your opinion bud and you are entitled to it, I don,t remember anybody saying they are scared :open_mouth: , or are you reading something different to me? and some might say the kill comment could be a tad bad taste when you consider the incident that prompted this thread, but hey… like I said you are entitled to say that, fair play.
As i have said I do not realistically think anything will be achieved, but trying costs nowt, and even in the unlikely event that things do change, there is nothing to prevent you and others continuing to park as you are now, so what harm is being done??

robroy:

howatsi:

del949:
as an alternative ALL of you write to your MP, start the ball rolling now

writetothem.com/

it will take 5 mins.

Fairplay del949 it only took me 10 minutes, come on lads and lasses we CAN make a difference! :slight_smile:

I,ve also done it, first time in my life I have ever contacted an MP, so easy using this site, any chance of Rikki getting involved from an official perspective?
What truckyboy says is maybe right, but the only alternative is to sit on apathetic arses and do nowt, at least it,s a start, acorns/oak trees etc etc.

That’s the spirit, when I started the thread I said that emailing MPs is a great weapon, a hundred seperate emails has far more power than one with a list of names on it :bulb:

robroy:

bubsy06:

That,s your opinion bud and you are entitled to it, I don,t remember anybody saying they are scared :open_mouth: , or are you reading something different to me? and some might say the kill comment could be a tad bad taste when you consider the incident that prompted this thread, but hey… like I said you are entitled to say that, fair play.
As i have said I do not realistically think anything will be achieved, but trying costs nowt, and even in the unlikely event that things do change, there is nothing to prevent you and others continuing to park as you are now, so what harm is being done??

Page 1 shows a few that dont like parking in laybys due to the main reason this thread was started.
No harm is being done by trying to get the goverment to sort out proper parking facilities, I just don’t agree that you should have to pay for it, charging people to park in a pot hole ridden, ■■■■■■ unlit, unsecure lorry park is criminal TBH.

bubsy06:
Page 1 shows a few that dont like parking in laybys due to the main reason this thread was started.
No harm is being done by trying to get the goverment to sort out proper parking facilities, I just don’t agree that you should have to pay for it, charging people to park in a pot hole ridden, ■■■■■■ unlit, unsecure lorry park is criminal TBH.

Can,t disagree with you mate, but parking charges is another argument for another day, let,s see if anything however small can be done such as… I dont know… parking on park and ride sites for eg, and like I said if anybody is happy parking in lay bys, like you appear to be, that,s fine, no probs, let,s just wait and see, if nothing changes we have give it a fair shot.

robroy:

bubsy06:

Can,t disagree with you mate, but parking charges is another argument for another day, let,s see if anything however small can be done such as… I dont know… parking on park and ride sites for eg, and like I said if anybody is happy parking in lay bys, like you appear to be, that,s fine, no probs, let,s just wait and see, if nothing changes we have give it a fair shot.

Im happy to park in laybys (only if they have and island), ind est, business parks, city/town centre streets.
Think a better idea would be for some lorry drivers to stop being so ■■■■■■■ lazy and search out an alternative place to park, there was some ■■■■■■■■ posted on here the other day about there being not enough spaces for all the drivers that night out :unamused: there is enough space for every lorry driver x10 its just the majority love to spend ther night in MOTO, Welcome break or a truckstop with a junction in the name.

bubsy06:

robroy:

bubsy06:

Im happy to park in laybys (only if they have and island), ind est, business parks, city/town centre streets.
Think a better idea would be for some lorry drivers to stop being so [zb] lazy and search out an alternative place to park, there was some ■■■■■■■■ posted on here the other day about there being not enough spaces for all the drivers that night out :unamused: there is enough space for every lorry driver x10 its just the majority love to spend ther night in MOTO, Welcome break or a truckstop with a junction in the name.

As long as you’re ok then driver :unamused:

How about those with a different opinion? Is it wrong for them to want to try and do something about it?

newmercman:
As long as you’re ok then driver :unamused:

How about those with a different opinion? Is it wrong for them to want to try and do something about it?

I’ve used the link above to write to my local MP. I’m with you 100% on this, its a very serious situation that needs attention.

I wrote to my MP with the following,

Dear Martin Vickers,

I am writing to you today to bring to your attention the over night parking situation for HGV’s on a national level throughout the United Kingdom.
As a driver myself this is a problem faced on an almost daily basis. The nature of the job dictates that I am often away from home for the whole week and thus have to spend 4 to 5 nights per week sleeping in my truck. This may seem like no big deal, and indeed it would not be, where it not for a very serious and a very real problem. The absolute lack of appropriate and safe parking, not only for my vehicle, but for me as a human being.
Many haulage companies today do not pay for truck parking costs, which in some motorway services areas can for example approach thirty pounds per night, which is of course far beyond the means of en employed man to pay for. A truck driver is put between a rock and a hard place, because not only do we struggle to find parking, but we are compelled by the law to take breaks and over night rest periods within a very rigid set of regulations that are enforced electronically, to the absolute letter of the law. We do not have the luxury of driving on until a suitable place can be found, we must stop when the law says, or face huge pentalties.
So this brings us to the problem, drivers are forced to park up where ever they can squeeze in, usually an industrial estate side road or a layby on the side of a busy road with other vehicles passing only inches away, giving the driver not only a sleeples night due to noise with no toilet or washing facilities but also the risk of being crashed into during the night by a passing vehicle. An example of this if such were required happened only this week on the A5 at Crick in Northamptonshire ending in a fatality. This is just one of many such incedents and a threat posed to hard working drivers on a daily basis.
I believe that every body deserves to go to work and be safe. Yet truck drivers are expected to put their lives at risk and park in the only places available, which are not only dangerous, but also suffer from the effects of crime of both the trucks diesel and the load we are carrying, not to mention the fact the complete lack of basic facilities. We are legally required to be stationary for either 9 or 11 hours per night. I can not imagine a situation where an employee in an office or factory was locked in a room the size of a truck cab and given no toilet facilities, at the very least. More dignity is afforded to arrested criminals in police cells or those serving time in jails.
While the parking problem is not especially serious in North and North East Lincolnshire, on a national level it is truely shocking. Our local area is home to an exceptionally large number of haulage companies who operate and send their vehicles throughout the country, and those drivers, including myself are your constituants and I would like to ask of you, as my MP to bring this problem to light in parliament so that something can be done about this terrible situation at a national level.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter, I hope it gives at least an insight in to the conerns and issues at hand.

Yours sincerely,

I’ve no doubt rambled and ranted on somewhat, but its a point I feel needs to be made. All we need now is for the other hundreds/thousands of guys and girls on here to write something to a similar effect and we’ll at least be heared.

Ten years ago , a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Skegness underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire… Supreme Commander Comrade Baz of Bazworld.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you can petion as much as you like, but till all hauliers pay for the parking, drivers wont do it.
i work for a place that pays for parking at 2 service staion companys and 2 truck stops… if i chose another truck stop i will pay and get it back the week later, same as crossing the toll bridges,
but facts are facts some places wont pay £20 for a empty truck to park up

newmercman:
the internet can be used for more than dicking around and watching ■■■■ you know :bulb:

REALLY■■?

Serious answer time, could the truck magazines not get in on the act here. (now I have given you ideas for your next article we can go halves on the fee.)

del949:
An interesting report(and up to date) on hgv parking .
A bit heavy but interesting if you struggle with it

assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/l … /chap3.pdf

I’m struggling to see any interest in it. I mean firstly, who better than to give the government an accurate view of lorry parking statistics than AECOM ? Everyone knows them eh? Anyway, if you don’t the first page stating key facts was enough to make me disregard the report totally…

There were more vehicles parking overnight (13,708) than there were on-site spaces (13,173). This
means overall demand out-strips supply.

Of more interest to me would be to see just how much AECOM where paid for this report !!! Hey, we only need 500 spaces across the uk and we’re sorted, what are you all panicking for and joining unions !!!