Late payment fees

Mattwoodtransport:

nsmith1180:

alix776:
Surely you would have agreed the rates with them before starting as a subbie and also you would have agreed payment terms and late fees before starting

I was provided with several months data from one of their trucks doing the same work. Unfortunately it seams that they bumped up the rates in the data.

Mattwoodtransport:
So am I right in thinking then smithy that they simply abused you and payed you something rediculos like 70pence a mile!

Is there anything else the lads on here can help you with? What’s been your action now regards other work?

83ppm average actually, which on that work equates to about 89p in every pound I spent.

Week 1 I knew I would make a loss because of having to double fill the tanks, (put in first fill and top off at the end of the week) and because I lost half a day on Monday picking the bloody thing up.

Week 2 actually made a profit!

Week 3 and 4 were bad, week five the decision was made and week 6 I got out!

As for any other help I’m just going to have to wait this one out. They only owe me £350 at the moment because of a disputed job, everything else has paid. The will probably get back to me with a figure this week and of course I am free to refuse the money as too low, (though I doubt Ill get the buggers to pay more!). As you say, me lives and me learns. Unless anyone can point me in the direction of a company to sub for that will keep me in work year round and confirms the rates before the job, I’m just going to have to continue playing rate Russian roulette until I can pick up a direct client of my own.

As for other work, I’m on Wincanton containers now and earning a profit so I cant complain really. Nice chaps, prompt payment on short terms, and plenty of time to read my book on a bay!

Ouch, those rates are awful mate… and it’s pretty brave of you to post your failure… so thanks for that.
Keep your chin up mate, keep plugging away, Iv got nothing to offer you in respect anything that may help on boxes… I have zero contacts or experience… I’m more flats and curtainsiders. Good luck tho pal and all the best.

Thanks for your supportive words, but I don’t see it as a failure. I’ve lived, I’ve learned and while I got very nearly down, I didn’t get out. I live to fight another day!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Is that £0.83/mile :open_mouth:
Is that paid miles or does that include empty /unpaid miles?
What did the rates work out at for the running data they gave you before you signed up?
Are these sort of normal rates for OD’s on traction work?

muckles:
Is that £0.83/mile :open_mouth:
Is that paid miles or does that include empty /unpaid miles?
What did the rates work out at for the running data they gave you before you signed up?
Are these sort of normal rates for OD’s on traction work?

Yes 0.83 per mile over all miles. Also a much higher percentage of empty running than I was expecting. (the data didn’t list empty miles) I also did a lot more empty miles with my stickers on a lorry than when I drove the same work for an employer.

Rates on the data came out closer to 1.30 per mile but of course there were no empty miles shown. The major problem was that they would run me on an OK paying job from Beccles to Basingstoke then run me all the way back empty because ‘there was no work between Basingstoke and Felixstowe’. Well we all know thats going to be bolix.

I was expecting significantly north of £1 per mile on traction, especially as it wasn’t my trailer so I wasn’t free to arrange my own backloads.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

"nsmith1180:

Ok it makes more sense now, got to say not sure I’d even consider trying to be an OD at £1.30, but you did the calculations, so you must have thought it would work.

Not having a go by the way and I hope Wincantons works out for you. :smiley: