Large UK lorry fleets 1950's to present day!

Banbury Buildings
Mortons of Coventry, later Mortons BRS
Oldhams
Bradys, the Coventry one
Frederick Allen

Prestons of Potto
Wincantons
Harold Woods
Hansons of Wakefield
Hoyers
Linkman (TDG)
Bewick
Knights of Old
Turners of Soham
Derbyshire Stone (Buxton)
Lomas Distribution (Buxton)
Peter Slater

2 from the manchester/bolton area.
william nuttalls
hipwood and grundy
regards dave.

Siddle C Cook.

R&W FEBRY
DUNKERLEYS
JE CLARKS
BOWATER SCOTT
SQUARE GRIP
WHITWILLS
SMITHS OF HANHAM
GH WINTLE
JOHN GOLDING

These are a few i can remember when i was a young lad around the south glos area.

A few more from Gloucester area Phil.
Eric Vick.
Ralph Davies.
Hacklings.
C M Downton.
Ellis Transport Ltd.

john raymond

That shot of John Raymond’s brings back some memories of the pre M4 run to Swansea or beyond :wink:

Fred Jones, Swansea Docks

from the Leicestershire area.
Redland Aggregates
ECCQ
Tarmac
Walkers Crisps
Hercock Simpson
all the quarries got rid of their fleets and gave the work to o/d’s and small operaters :frowning:

Sammy Williams from Dagenham
John Hudson fuels
Comart from Stoke
Eddie Stobart
Whittles of Preston
Astran
Crow Carrying Company
Bridgewater Transport (port of Manchester)
Taylor Barnard
Barnfather & Wilkes

Davis Bros of London were the largest privately owned in there Day.

Distillers Co
British Oxygen
May and Hassell (Timber)
Smiths of Eccles
Anyone said Esso
Gus (catalogue)

Ray

b.i.s British INDUSTRIAL SANDS Kings Lyn.
Lamortex Morter,
Lex Transfleet
A.B.M Maltings.
MARSHALLS of BULWELL
Muntons Heavy Haulage. Any Photos.

3300John:
Hiya…where the hell have all these outfits gone . no wonder we could go from job to job in the old days.
most of the comanies named are large outfits. what about the smaller 10 or so lorry outfits we have,nt mentioned.
scarey what happened… mind you i don,t blame hauliers for getting out of haulage with all the hassel firms get.
John

I think a lot of companies disappeared or almalgamated with the scrapping of the old A B & C licenses and the introduction of the “O” license.When that came about almost anyone could start up in haulage.Up until then license holders,especially “A” license holders had a virtual monopoly in the industry.“B” licenses were usually restricted to an area 40 miles from base and “C” licenses were for the carriage of own goods.I think that’s right,no doubt someone with more knowledge than me will correct me if it’s wrong.

Mckelvies from Paisley
Freightliners

CROWS TRANSPORT LTD GATESHEAD
A ELLIS NEWCASTLE LTD
MACPHEE NEWCASTLE LTD
WHITES TOW LAW LTD
ORRELL and BREWSTER LTD GATESHEAD
A ONE TRANSPORT LTD
ANDERSON BROS LTD
BRS LTD
BARNFARTHER and WILKS LTD
BARNETT and GRAHAM LTD
ALFRED BELL LTD
CAWTORN and SINCLAIL LTD
CROWS TRANSPORT[1971] LTD DURHAM
ECONOFREIGHT LTD
FERGUSONS[BLYTH] LTD
FREEWAYS
FREIGHTLINERS LTD
HAYLEY BROS [CHOPWELL] LTD
J R HENDERSON LTD NEWCASTLE
MURRY HOGG LTD
REGARDS CROWBAR

A few more from me.
Stennetts Ltd.
M Way from South Molton.
Oliver Hart.
Kendricks.
Griff Fender.

Tony Taylor:

3300John:
Hiya…where the hell have all these outfits gone . no wonder we could go from job to job in the old days.
most of the comanies named are large outfits. what about the smaller 10 or so lorry outfits we have,nt mentioned.
scarey what happened… mind you i don,t blame hauliers for getting out of haulage with all the hassel firms get.
John

I think a lot of companies disappeared or almalgamated with the scrapping of the old A B & C licenses and the introduction of the “O” license.When that came about almost anyone could start up in haulage.Up until then license holders,especially “A” license holders had a virtual monopoly in the industry.“B” licenses were usually restricted to an area 40 miles from base and “C” licenses were for the carriage of own goods.I think that’s right,no doubt someone with more knowledge than me will correct me if it’s wrong.

Hi Tony,
You are correct,

When I was young at school I was always good at arithmatic and later mathmatics. About 10 years old I was able to look at accounts and balance sheets. At that time we had an amount on the balance sheet for ‘Goodwill’ and when i asked for an explanation of what this was I was told it was the valuation of our ‘A’ Licence. I later found out that the valuation of an A licence in about 1958 was £250 per ton unlade weight. A lot of money in those days.

We were frtunate to have been allocated A licences wen licencing was introduced, and I cannot imagine what life would have been like if that system had been kept.

Carl

man-tga:
Robson’s of Carlisle had a very big fleet …and a spotter’s list way before Stobart’s…

I remember them well, they had names for their trucks too,
all beginning with “Border”, ie: “Border Reiver” !