Landmarks on the horizon

Cantley Sugar Beet factory from the A47 just after Blofield roundabout or coming over the top from Potter Heigham signals I’m nearly home, if I’m on the A146 it means I still have about 45 mins to run. :slight_smile:

City of London approaching the M25 on the M11 as I come over the last hump.

Sploom:

dieseldog999:
heading north on the m6 past charnock coming down the hill i always look over to see if i can see blackpool tower away on the left.
sometimes you can,sometimes not,

when im heading down for the dover boat or train,i cant help myself looking for spitfires and fokkers…( even if the fokkers are flying messerschmitts) .

if your going on or off the p&o cairnryan,as its doing the handbrake 360 turn,if you look over the top of the last bungalow,you can see how the garden is marked out to look like the view from a ships bridge to the point of the bow.
i think it was a retired captains house at one time.

OK. I Will be on that boat the end of the month, I’ll look out for that

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

behind the bungalow you will see a rectangular bit marked out representing the bridge then you will see the top of the garden marked into the ships bow.
you wont see any haggis roaming about as its out of season just now. :wink:

Blackpool tower, just as I always did as a child on the yearly trip to the seaside.

Only I no longer travel with my nose pressed against the window :sunglasses:

Always fascinated by the ventilation chimneys either side of the M45 and the M25 near Potters Bar junction where the travelers camp is. Are they for underground railways or waterways or what? I know there are various others around as well.

Franglais:

edd1974:
Driving along the m27 travelling west around the port Solent area .
When.you look to your right theres quite high ground.
On top of which I can only describe as light blue metal work.up there. Reminds me of.ship funnels and a ship.
But surely it can’t Be? Every time I see it in.the distance I wonder what it is

It is a sort of, part of, a ship…
Radar etc development station.
They reproduced the superstructure in ships to test out new radar sets. Cheaper than a real ship, and being on the crest of a ridge there is nothing around to interfere with it.
Interesting “back-to-front” Napoleonic era forts built near there too.

These i’m guessing

google.co.uk/maps/@50.85770 … 6656?hl=en

Beau Nydel:
Always fascinated by the ventilation chimneys either side of the M45 and the M25 near Potters Bar junction where the travelers camp is. Are they for underground railways or waterways or what? I know there are various others around as well.

Follow the map down a little along the line of the chimneys and you’ll see they’re ventilation shafts for the Great Northern Railway, it enters a tunnel just below the 2nd tower.

on a clear day I can see this on the other side of the Moray Firth from our kitchen window …

dos.jpg

Not a landmark as such but travelling southbound on the M6 J36, if you look over to the right a couple of miles before the junction you get a glimpse of Morecambe Bay.

nickyboy:

Franglais:

edd1974:
On top of which I can only describe as light blue metal work.up there. Reminds me of.ship funnels and a ship.

They reproduced the superstructure in ships to test out new radar sets. Cheaper than a real ship, and being on the crest of a ridge there is nothing around to interfere with it.

These i’m guessing

Thats the ones I was thinking of anyway. The old forts nearby built "back to front" were designed to protect from an inland army. The idea was that Portsmouth couldnt be invaded from the sea, so any danger to it would be from an army landed elsewhere, hence the forts had their backs to the sea.

Emley moor transmitter for me. Especially on a clear winter’s night where it can be seen for miles.
HOME.

AndieHyde:
Emley moor transmitter for me. Especially on a clear winter’s night where it can be seen for miles.
HOME.

Yep, same here. Know I’ve cracked it once it’s in view. Currently looking at it now from sofa!

You definitely cannot see the NEC from the M6 near Wolverhampton!

When you go down the M6 just past junction 7,if you look straight ahead at the horizon, you can see a big building, it looks like a big castle, it took me a long time to figure out what it is, but I think its the resort world arena, part of the NEC. Once you know the building you will be able to see it further back in the Wolverhampton /Wednesbury area

Franglais:

nickyboy:

Franglais:

edd1974:

These i’m guessing

Thats the ones I was thinking of anyway. The old forts nearby built "back to front" were designed to protect from an inland army. The idea was that Portsmouth couldnt be invaded from the sea, so any danger to it would be from an army landed elsewhere, hence the forts had their backs to the sea.

It does look like that. Thanks I can rest easy now I know

“Bring me the horizon”.

The flare stack at Wilton works, when its going full blast you can see the glow from Thirsk- 40 minutes back to the yard !

Northala Fields Pyramids just south of the A40 at Northolt. Made from the spoil of the Old Wembley stadium.

Born Idle:
You definitely cannot see the NEC from the M6 near Wolverhampton!

I’m buggered if I can see the NEC from the M42 going past the off-slip for it! :open_mouth: :blush:

You can see Jodrell Bank radio telescope from the M6 around J18. Off to your right if you’re northbound.

peirre:
Some of the smaller obscure monuments tend to catch my eye, there are several small obelisks around the country that only just catch the eye
Edit: there’s one of these next to the A1 just before it splits for the A14, others inc next to the SB A74, and near barnard castle on the A66

That one by the A1 at the A14 split is the famous Alconbury Milestone. Before that stretch was upgraded to motorway it actually sat in the central reservation of the A1. It hasn’t moved either, the motorway has…

transporttrust.com/heritage … -milestone