Know your place. The new hierarchy of road users

From a legal perspective :-

youtube.com/watch?v=zU9tBBQNq_0

Janos:
Reading this confirms my belief there is an ideological slant to the changes.
The changes have come after intense lobbying by cycling organisations.

I’d go with that. In fact I’d go one step further and blame it all on Chris Boardman and his galactic-sized ego. He was a PITA when he discovered scuba diving and within a matter of minutes started telling “grannies how to ■■■■ eggs.”

Zac_A:

Janos:
Reading this confirms my belief there is an ideological slant to the changes.
The changes have come after intense lobbying by cycling organisations.

I’d go with that.

Which leaves the question why would they want to encourage undertaking and overtaking turning traffic through junctions and reversal of marked or accepted priorities, all on the laughable pretext of their vulnerability.

Garbage.
The guidance for pedestrians is clear and the only real change is for those waiting to cross at junctions etc

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Monkey241:
Garbage.
The guidance for pedestrians is clear and the only real change is for those waiting to cross at junctions etc

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

If you think it is ■■■■■■■■ and is all about pedestrians, then read this. If you can’t divine the intention and blatant hectoring of the cycling readership by the author to force change for their benefit, then you are blind.
cyclinguk.org/blog/why-high … wo-abreast

Monkey241:
Garbage.

There is a clear premise on blame being applied, in the event of any type of collision, according to vulnerability in terms of the hierarchy.
Not the road behaviour of the respective parties.
Although we can bet that cyclist v pedestrian or bus v cyclist or motorcyclist or horse or car will be grey areas in accordance with the political agenda which is behind all this.

Monkey241:
Garbage.

This is the one that worries me

Cyclist 5.jpg

Zac_A:

Monkey241:
Garbage.

That is a strange picture with the cyclist on the right. With the cyclist on the left you would have to give way if they are going straight on or turning left.
I think the main problem is, people have made up their own rules and go by those.
A typical example is on a roundabout, where the driver thinks they have priority over the slower moving cyclist when taking the next exit and either cuts in front of the cyclist or expects the cyclist to slow down or stop so the driver can take the next exit. A roundabout should be treated like a junction when turning left out of it.

Zac_A:

Monkey241:
Garbage.

It’s actually the one which proves that it’s a politically motivated agenda deliberately created to victimise drivers.Using cyclists as the useful idiot cannon fodder.
The rule obviously also applies to motorcyclists overtaking right turning traffic through junctions.
It’s just more murderous crap from an unfit for purpose government of the type which gave us anything but smart motorways.

sweepster:

Zac_A:

Monkey241:
Garbage.

That is a strange picture with the cyclist on the right. With the cyclist on the left you would have to give way if they are going straight on or turning left.
I think the main problem is, people have made up their own rules and go by those.
A typical example is on a roundabout, where the driver thinks they have priority over the slower moving cyclist when taking the next exit and either cuts in front of the cyclist or expects the cyclist to slow down or stop so the driver can take the next exit. A roundabout should be treated like a junction when turning left out of it.

The rule is clearly stating that cyclists or motorcyclists can undertake or overtake turning vehicles through junctions and if they get hit in the process it’s not their fault.
All based on their vulnerability status.

Zac_A:

Why would that worry you? Why would you put yourself in that position?

M65Chris:
I’ve always given cyclists a wide berth. Not particularly out of courtesy but on the assumption they are complete and utter morons with a death wish.

I don’t want them on my conscience.

Totally this!

stu675:

Zac_A:

You don’t seem to have understood what’s happening there: It’s not about the DRIVER putting their self in that situation; in slow moving traffic cyclists are now allowed to overtake on the left and the right, so you’re in slow moving traffic, about to turn right and then you find some nugget is overtaking you on your right even though your indicator is on, meanwhile some other nugget is undertaking you to turn left.

Zac_A:

stu675:

Zac_A:

You don’t seem to have understood what’s happening there: It’s not about the DRIVER putting their self in that situation; in slow moving traffic cyclists are now allowed to overtake on the left and the right, so you’re in slow moving traffic, about to turn right and then you find some nugget is overtaking you on your right even though your indicator is on, meanwhile some other nugget is undertaking you to turn left.

Yes. And if the traffic is that slow that you’re being overtaken by cyclists, then good luck to them and let them go before you take the turn, or you could approach the turn positioned to close the door so that cyclists can’t fit up your inside/offside.

Positioning closer to the white lines won’t stop some cyclists from overtaking on the right, they’re not renowned for obeying the rules of the road, or even displaying common sense

stu675:
Yes. And if the traffic is that slow that you’re being overtaken by cyclists, then good luck to them and let them go before you take the turn, or you could approach the turn positioned to close the door so that cyclists can’t fit up your inside/offside.

Only a cyclist or a government minister could be that suicidally stupid.
You seem to be taking a selective view of the highway code.
Rules like don’t overtake traffic through a junction let alone undertake a left turning truck or overtake a right turning one.
Stay back and allow space for large vehicles to turn.
No surprise you wouldn’t want anyone overtaking a cyclist through a junction while the cyclist is signalling a turn.
If the unions weren’t equal Bolsheviks they would be calling a national drivers strike over this idiocracy.
Instead of which they’ll vote with their feet when the prison sentences start being handed out.

Carryfast:

sweepster:

Zac_A:

Monkey241:
Garbage.

The rule is clearly stating that cyclists or motorcyclists can undertake or overtake turning vehicles through junctions and if they get hit in the process it’s not their fault.
All based on their vulnerability status.

You would have to give way to the cyclist on the left anyway if you’re turning left. If you’re indicating to turn left, I suppose if it’s clear on the other side a cyclist who is moving at speed can overtake, that’s what mirrors are for.
I disagree with your motorcycle assumption as it’s just stupid to move over to the inside to undertake when the car is indicating left. I would never do that and I’ve been riding since I was a kid, and still ride all year round.

sweepster:
You would have to give way to the cyclist on the left anyway if you’re turning left. If you’re indicating to turn left, I suppose if it’s clear on the other side a cyclist who is moving at speed can overtake, that’s what mirrors are for.
I disagree with your motorcycle assumption as it’s just stupid to move over to the inside to undertake when the car is indicating left. I would never do that and I’ve been riding since I was a kid, and still ride all year round.

We are clearly talking about cyclists UNDERTAKING LEFT turning vehicles and vice versa.
As for motorcyclists we had an epidemic of motorcyclists OVERTAKING RIGHT turning vehicles in the 1970s with predictable results.

So cyclist indicates a left or right turn are you saying it’s ok for a truck or car to undertake or overtake the useful idiot at that point or not and that the resulting collision will then be the cyclist’s fault.
No doubt you’ll then change your laughably biased tune accordingly.
While the rest of your ideas clearly selectively ignore the highway code rules don’t overtake through junctions and only overtake on the right except to UNDERTAKE RIGHT turning traffic.

I all ways say let the bike get where they are going…ie do not overtake bike when coming to your left junction (common sense ) if bike in mirror when coming up to left turn then slow and see where bike is going…problem there though is bike comes through when a vehicle makes a right turn from other direction because they think you are letting them round.For the bike that overtake when I make a left turn…well that is their problem…there maybe trouble ahead .I cycle often not dressed in black with skin tight gear on though…never go any where near truck and bus wheels on either side…round about I get off and walk round the outside …never had a near miss on my bike

fuse:
IFor the bike that overtake when I make a left turn…well that is their problem…there maybe trouble ahead

The problem is passing on the turning side which in the case of a truck also means the opposing tail sweep.
All of which comes under the rules only pass on the right except in the case of right turning vehicles.Allow for large vehicles making a turn.
Don’t overtake or undertake through junctions.
All trumped by the premise of blame being on the vehicle driver based on the hierachy and the rule give way to cyclists when turning.Which makes such a collision your problem.
I wouldn’t want to be driving a truck under these rules when a car is bad enough.