kent transport

Not sure if this pics been on here before but even if it has its worth seeing again. There’s a lot of history in Kent hops. I grew up on a farm where apples and hops were the main crops. Standing in the hop fields as they were picked, by hand, was wonderful. I can still remember that lovely aroma.

When I was a lad I use to cycle four miles to Headcorn. There was a bike shop in the high street where I bought my spares, brake blocks etc. H E Woodcocks were down the other end of the village. Haven’t been back there for years now though.
Photos from the web.

Photo from the web. This incident happened in the High St in Maidstone just after Pudding Lane. Looking down the road the river would be at the bottom with the Canon in the middle distance where the bus is turning into or out of Mill St. Its all changed now even the Canon, or so I was told, has gone or been moved.

There was something about Firmins, they always seemed to have their accidents in Maidstone. Apart from this incident they managed to just miss knocking down both bus shelters in Loose. They also manged to get stuck under Cuxton rd railway bridge in Strood and to lose a propshaft on the Medway bridge.

Herbie Pheby. Photo taken in the 70’s. Loders lorry alongside, don’t see many photos of them but part of Coulling Brothers company of course. In the 60’s Herbie’s brother ■■■■ also drove for Coulling’s before he immigrated to Canada.
Photos courtesy of Richard Pheby.

Bit before my time.

80435406_2469944549795659_1537203837876568064_n.jpg

Used to see a lot of these vehicles as my school was less than a mile from their depot. Would see some on my way to school as they made their way down to Sussex to do their daily deliveries.

cav551:
There was something about Firmins, they always seemed to have their accidents in Maidstone. Apart from this incident they managed to just miss knocking down both bus shelters in Loose. They also manged to get stuck under Cuxton rd railway bridge in Strood and to lose a propshaft on the Medway bridge.

blimey that got my brain working, as i was always going out to recover Firmins lorrys, Denis Smith demolished the bus shelter in loose , he was very lucky a 8 foot piece on concrete went right through the cab missing him and completely embedding in the load of melons, bootsy smashed up his nearly new ERF b series in Loose dip needing a new cab, Olley hit lampost and demolsished his Guy warrior in Redwall lane ( Alan Firmin drove past he did not look to happy ) the list goes on , I can remember 3 Firmin vehicles running into each other, I can remember parking brand new AEC Mammoth Minor in front of offices only for the driver to back a trailer into it. Oh the prop shaft is in the Medway, dont ask .

Don’t forget when Sleepy Norman demolished the traffic warden’s office in Lower Stone Street

Misterbreeze:
Don’t forget when Sleepy Norman demolished the traffic warden’s office in Lower Stone Street

Please tell me he was still in it!

In the truck…and the Land of Nod :wink:

Misterbreeze:
In the truck…and the Land of Nod :wink:

I was talking about the Traffic Warden!

Ah! :blush:

Changing the topic before someone mentions the multiple destruction I caused during my brief time at Firmins, I mentioned this website on another thread but it’s probably more relevant here. It’s a real treat if you were around in the '80s mike-taylor-haulage.com/

Apologies if it’s been posted up before.

Couple more Lenham Storage lorries remembered from my teen years. NMP though.

gingerfold:

2 from Jack Henleys collection.
the artic 12D loaded with hops was the companys first articulated vehicle and was driven by Arthur Rivers

NMP
Foremans of Headcorn

lawrence2765:

gingerfold:

the artic 12D loaded with hops was the companys first articulated vehicle and was driven by Arthur Rivers

Correct, Jack Henley loaned several of his photos for “AEC Lorries in the Post-War Years”

gingerfold:

lawrence2765:

gingerfold:

Correct, Jack Henley loaned several of his photos for “AEC Lorries in the Post-War Years”

Jack as you know ran 2 V8 Mandators OKK 160F , CGH 420H do you know the registration number of the 3rd one ?
regards Chris

lawrence2765:

gingerfold:

lawrence2765:

gingerfold:

Jack as you know ran 2 V8 Mandators OKK 160F , CGH 420H do you know the registration number of the 3rd one ?
regards Chris

There are three Mandator V8s recorded to Jack Henley, but only two registration numbers were noted in the chassis build records.

VTG4R 031 was OKK 160F (09/05/1968)
VTG4R 032 was ■■? ■■? (10/05/1968)
VTG4R4 360 was CGH 420H (27/03/1969) Note: VTG4R4 is the second series with some design differences from the first series.