Kenneth Wilson Corn Merchants Leeds

brandsbybank:
I don’t know about that,i don’t get over there any more .They ran a double drive Foden tractor,running on singles with the big cab <cheese slicer?> This had a big Cat in it and unusually it did a huge milage. .A picture of this would be good. I glimpsed a corner of it in one of the earlier pictures.

Remember the double drive Foden, did they call the driver John ? I think he ran scotch regular taking grain up and bringing sand back.

John Retchless,an ex KW man

brandsbybank:
I don’t know about that,i don’t get over there any more .They ran a double drive Foden tractor,running on singles with the big cab <cheese slicer?> This had a big Cat in it and unusually it did a huge milage. .A picture of this would be good. I glimpsed a corner of it in one of the earlier pictures.

Do you mean this one!!! 1986

Scania photo taken 1985 (30 years ago!!!) when I did not think to get closer for a better photo, doh

Barry/Gloves

brandsbybank:

Photographed this one in Whitkirk Produces’s yard 1992, 6x2 tag axle and looking like it could have been one of Wilsons, due to the colour scheme and Pelican registration numbers.

Barry/Gloves

Hi Barry/Gloves once again,great pics .That is the Foden 6x4 of Hobmans I was referring to. The yellow and blue one is not ex KW as we had no 6 wheel tractors .Hobmans 6x4 would of been bought by them new.Love the Scania picture in CCC colours,they where a good motor . We had several of those steel topped trailors.They where bought to cart malt. The top split and one half pushed rearward,the other forward,leaving a rather narrow loading aperature. There were also smaller loading doors along the top .This system worked ok loading from a spout but wasn’t good with a loading bucket and the whole idea fell to pieces when rice bran or any thing light and bulky was loaded as you couldn’t get enough in .

I seem to remember one of those big lids blowing off and landing in the water on the Kincardine bridge . Straps were later attached

Did Kenneth Wilson also have a Volvo F88 (GCG 999N)…I think I have a photo of it somewhere but not sure if its the same firm.

Hi Mark. Im fairly certain they didn’t run any F88s.I could be wrong,they were a long running company with several depots ,each running its own brand

Hi mate…I’ll try and find the photo, it might just be a coincidence that its the same colour with Kenneth Wilson on it.

Back in 1988 two of us from Knottingley were at the tunnel refinery in Greenwich loading Tunnel Gold and there was a guy there in an eight wheeler FL10 that was in full KW livery with the subbies name on the doors and so it’s quite possible that a F88 could have been a subbies motor.

A local farmers lad was a buyer / seed rep for Wilsons, when they got blacked off Hull Docks for running the picket line, he left and was immediately offered a job with the Cereal Conditioning Company, he didnt realise it was the same company. :stuck_out_tongue:

kenneth Wilson Fodens.

Click on pages twice to read.

L1869p.JPG

foden kenneth wilson 695 ppg.PNG

Earlier posts suggest some drivers were from the Halifax/Elland area, Brian Wheelwright, John Bailey, Tony Whittaker and Jack xxxxx all moved to KW at Knottingley from Edward Swale at Holywell Green.

Brian with an ERF A series John and Tony with Leylands and Jack with a Leyland 4 wheel blower, all eventually replaced with Foden’s.

Some of the vehicles not from Knottingley, also had the name Daykin,or possibly Dakin and Wilson on them.

Last time I saw Brian Wheelwright he was driving a142 for Cartwright,I think. Subbing to KW. Nice bloke.
PontyPaul. Would you be Mr Bake?

Pontypaul:
KW had mainly Fodens and ERF’s with a few Scania’s at Knottingley, Tuxford had a MAN fleet and Louth was Sed Atki.
Knottingley also had an 8 wheeler 2800 DAF that was based at Preston Brook piloted by John Wrench. In the 60’s Knottingley acquired half a dozen 1418 bull nosed Merc units and the long bench seat made a great bed for me and my brother but they were soon replaced by Fodens

I worked with John Wrench , what nice guy John was . Also one of the best driver I,ve meet, we worked together at CERT in Warrington John also worked for DOW Freight

I knew John from KW days but bumped into him years later when he was at CERT. .Not seen him since

IIRC They had a place at Tuxford, :question: Regards Larry.