Kaye Goodfellow Manchester

Hiya just needed on page one thanks

hi does anyone rember my dad roy bray he drove for both mcelvies and goodfellows in the late 60’s.charlie baldwin woz a m8 for his last time i seen charlie baldwin woz when my dad pasted away

One here that I found on the ebay site (not my photo) dont know whose it is but surely they wont mind me adding it to this thread.
FODEN HNF205E

Does anyone out there remember a driver by the name of Les Franklin used to work for
Kaye Goodfellow in the sixties , he lived in Wythenshawe, his dad used to work for Ross Garages from Cardiff I worked with Les at Rowley’s from Sale.

TruckNet member Malcolm Carbery may remember him from the days his dad worked at KGs in the 60s.

IIRC, Barry Scacey done a spell at Wimpys Halkyn when they had them A E C , Dump truck bodys carrying rocks to the new Seaforth Dock on days and nights, just a bit of usless info , Cheers Barry

One of Kaye Goodfellow’s Seddon 30/4 tractor units.

One of Kaye Goodfellow’s Hydrocon mobile cranes seen here in 1969 in Clayton.

Kay Goodfellow..jpgPawling and Harnischfeger built crane Reg No VNE 332S was registered new to Kay Goodfellow in November 1977.
After the closure of Kay Goodfellow it was sold on to Burnett Crane Hire of Toton Nottingham

S70.jpgOne of Kaye Goodfellow’s S70 Foden’s which was one of three they operated out of Manchester depot.
Foden only built 17 of these S70 twin-steer ‘Chinese Six’ tractor units in the early 1970’s.
They were powered by Gardner 8LXB-240 straight eight engines in line with Foden 12-speed gearboxes.

A bloke called Terry McLaren used to be a driver of theirs in Manchester IIRC

6ec238e1c357ef259f1a2a5197a0245c--pictures-trucks.jpg

This was one of three RB45C Hydrocranes that that Goodfellow’s bought.
Driven by Gerald Nevisky between 1970 and 1973 it weighed 33 tons, was powered by a Leyland 680 engine and had a top speed of 32 mph.

Kaye Goodfellow ERF LV hauling an extra long trailer with quite a load on for back in the day.

moomooland:
Kaye Goodfellow ERF LV hauling an extra long trailer with quite a load on for back in the day.

I doubt whether that was a legal load on a trailer that long because the load wasn’t indivisible. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

moomooland:

I doubt whether that was a legal load on a trailer that long because the load wasn’t indivisible. Cheers Bewick.

Quite correct there Dennis, I remember PG Walton having one of these very long trailers to haul long loads of steel from Consett Iron Co, , But they were not allowed to load back with general cargo, Regards Larry.

Scammell Contractor Reg No MVG 90H was registered new to Pointer Heavy Haulage of Leicester in 1969.

It was later sold on to Kaye Goodfellow whose drivers nicknamed it ‘Big Goody’.

Originally in the late 1950s David Goodfellow was the transport manager at McKelive Transport, Paisley, Glasgow.

In 1960 using his wife’s name ‘Kaye’ he set up his own transport business under the name of ‘Kaye Goodfellow’ moving into a small transport yard on Godard Street, Newton Heath, Manchester.

After a several years the company grew rapidly in size so moved to a much larger site which was located on Quinn Street, Bradford in Manchester at the same time opening another depot in Wrexham and a small storage and change over depot in Glasgow.

Over the following years the company’s fleet grew to a peak of approximately 100 vehicles which not only concentrated on heavy haulage and crane hire but also did a great deal of general haulage work.

In the mid 1980s the general haulage side of the business was sold to Maxi Haulage and the heavy haulage side was gradually wound down which just left the crane hire side of Kaye Goodfellow carrying on at the Wrexham depot for a time.

David Goodfellow originally worked for B.R.S. Trafford Park. When McKelvie opened a depot in Manchester at Goddard St. Newton Heath, he was offered the transport managers job. He brought with him several experienced trunk drivers for the McKelvie night trunk to Paisley. He later became a Director of McKelvie (Manchester) Ltd.
He originally started up with the crane business and so there was no conflict of interest with McKelvie he registered the business in his wife`s name of Kaye. His cranes were originally based at the McKelvie yard at North St. Cheetham Hill from where they later moved to from Goddard St. McKelvie was sold to T.D.G. in 1963 by which time Kaye Goodfellow was operating out of Goddard St. previously McKelvies original Manchester Depot. The sale of McKelvie left David Goodfellow free to expand into heavy and general haulage market, taking many McKelvie drivers with him . GBW.

GBW:
David Goodfellow originally worked for B.R.S. Trafford Park. When McKelvie opened a depot in Manchester at Goddard St. Newton Heath, he was offered the transport managers job. He brought with him several experienced trunk drivers for the McKelvie night trunk to Paisley. He later became a Director of McKelvie (Manchester) Ltd.
He originally started up with the crane business and so there was no conflict of interest with McKelvie he registered the business in his wife`s name of Kaye. His cranes were originally based at the McKelvie yard at North St. Cheetham Hill from where they later moved to from Goddard St. McKelvie was sold to T.D.G. in 1963 by which time Kaye Goodfellow was operating out of Goddard St. previously McKelvies original Manchester Depot. The sale of McKelvie left David Goodfellow free to expand into heavy and general haulage market, taking many McKelvie drivers with him . GBW.

As a postscript to your post GBW,McKelvie’s sold the North St yard to Smith of Maddiston,including the storage warehousing facilities.

David