Kammac in the 8os

clyde21:
I can remember Paul and his brother working out of Heysham Harbour on the Cyprus Potato job around 1976,they had a F10 with a 40’ flat trailer .I was driving for B & R Haulage, 800 bags of spuds all hand ball :frowning:

clyde21, I regularly used to go up to Heysham with double stacked 40’s and hand ball one before dinner & one after, 1,600 bags of Cyprus spunta’s. Then drive to Cambridge for an AM delivery!! (with only one of course :laughing: )

All legally done of course. (on a log book :wink: ) Yea right - for Alan McCulloch Liverpool, I don’t think so!!

Ross.

Didn’t know the union blacked you for using sleeper cabs in the L’pool area,in the 70’s I take it?
Was B and R Blundell and Rimmer by any chance,used to see them a lot ,on market work I think.

Yes Chris - B&R was Blundell & Rimmer. A Leyland stronghold in the sixties, then the Scammells, then ERFs.

Finished up with Mercs I think.

marky:
Yes Chris - B&R was Blundell & Rimmer. A Leyland stronghold in the sixties, then the Scammells, then ERFs.

Finished up with Mercs I think.

Thanks for that Marky.I remember loading oranges just off Liverpool dock road in the 60’s.The warehouse was run by a company called Worldwide Transport I think and a couple of B and R were loading at the same time.They were maroon with gold signwriting weren’t they,think they both had Leyland Beavers.
Must go,going out for Xmas dinner.Nice day here,Irish Sea nice and quiet and nowt on t’horizon,so I think ferries must be having one off. :smiley: ,

All the best,
Chris

When I was running a truck on Bailee Freight Services out of Stokesley, I knew a couple of lads subbing to B&R. I was fed up with BFS so approached B&R for some work.

First couple of weeks was fine but then I got stuck subbing to BFS through them :blush: .

I was soon back at BFS cos at least they treated you like crap but it was better than being a subbies subbie crap :wink:

Yes mate they did “black” union members for using sleeper cabs in them days (the 70,s) as it was union policy not to let drivers sleep in cabs and if you got caught you were blacked.

Even if you were down the road away from merseyside they expected your own union members to shop you :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused: :confused: :imp: :imp:

I sometimes think that it was brought in by the ones who never did nights out but in some ways it was a good thing and others a bad idea as nowadays we spend all day working in the vehicle then spend the night in it, but having been driving for over 35 years and having stayed in some filthy accommodation over the years I know which I prefer now :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: .

There is at least the knowledge of who slept in your bed the previous night (or hopefully so) as I have stayed in some places where you had to sleep with one eye open all night to guard you case and personal belongings :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused:

They called these “the good old days” but I know which I prefer :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: : :wink: :wink: :wink:

Ah the good old days, I was always in trouble with ‘the union’ and when you were caught doing something you shouldn’t (according to them) you would get ‘branched’. This was nothing more than a ‘kangaroo court’ and fined or threatened with being thrown out of THEIR club. TOSSERS.

I was once branched for picking up a reefer box of Canadian fish from Seaforth Container Terminal in 1983 on a thursday afternoon for delivery to Peterhead the following afternoon. I was seen back in Liverpool on Saturday afternoon filling up at Carless fuels on the dock rd.

Highly illegal, according to them I should’ve weekended in Dundee. The 6.541 branch of the Transport & General Workers Union were a law unto themselves. But I was a little bit too rebelious for them & loved an argument.

Ross.

Whiteline b.jpg

Can anyone tell me did kammac have an F10 ACM 316X IF so any pictures of it knocking around thanks.

KENNA:
Can anyone tell me did kammac have an F10 ACM 316X IF so any pictures of it knocking around thanks.

I can’t say for sure about the Volvo you mention but I bought an Ex Kammac F12 ACM330X in 1987 so if they did own 316X it would almost certainly have been an F12 rather than an F10.

Ross.

cheers ross it was defo an F10 gods nows how many miles i covered in it but will say never let me down looked well but no night heater and the cab heater was lets say useles great motor all the same

here ya go Kenna, am I right in assuming your John?

with the Vampire plate on the front i guess it was at this time driven by the small guy from Leeds, who used to pronounce it as Weeds, cant for the life of me recall his name though

sorry just seen that you were in fact looking for 316X.
What colour was it in? I got a few pics that the reg is not very clear, so colour may help it to be found

tc trans:
What colour was it in? I got a few pics that the reg is not very clear, so colour may help it to be found

Where you got it wrong tc trans was that I owned ACM330X, I bought it from a dealer and it’s main colour was white, it had had a new back in the cab (it had the later type plastic vents) and was signed ‘B & EG’ I think. I was told that the previous owners were 2 brothers who also had a ‘mixer wagon’ they bought the truck from Kammac & subbed for them with it.

Thanks for the pic of my old sweetie though, I spent many a week away in that Volvo all over Eurpoe and it never failed to get me home.

Ross.

tc trans:

thanks for looking tc trans it was red when i first drove it then we had it painted post office red with two grey stripes like a dart on it would be great to see pics of it again

hiya,
getting back to unions i was a member of the scottish horse and motormens a union accepted by members of the transport and general union to which they merged in later years used to pay my subs in glasgow a regular port of call for me in those days a little story concerning union business happened to me on my return working for the brs on one occasion, i worked for brs three times during my driving career first day back told come in at seven yard man will sort you out with a motor and find you some work, a guy pulls up on the way out of the yard said i’ll check your union card when i next see you adding make sure it’s up to date and saying he was the shop steward, and the brs had a policy of not sleeping in the cab, anyway gets a motor told to get trailer no? loaded for southampton by the time i got sorted i could get to destination but wouldn’t be in time to deliver travels down reports to local depot books a bed told another driver was booked into the digs got round the car park there’s the shop steward all the windows curtained up cabbying it , never did ask for my union card and i made a point of letting the other lads who i knew from working there a couple of years earlier thanks harry long retired.

Chris Webb:
Didn’t know the union blacked you for using sleeper cabs in the L’pool area,in the 70’s I take it?
Was B and R Blundell and Rimmer by any chance,used to see them a lot ,on market work I think.

did,nt take much to get blacked my dad had two wagons running with two of george davies on the same job all four wagons got snowed in on the services the police came and said the snow plough was going through and if any wanted to go then that was the time 1 of my dads wagons left and 1 of davies both drivers made home no probs but they were both blacked before they reached liverpool

Hi, i used to work out of milton keynes dept. until it shut then went on to the trampin side for a bit.Does anybody remember a driver called val ? who was out of skem.and then there was arnie last i heard he got banded for drink drivin…dam we had some fun on there.There was some real characters working on there…would be good to catch up again.i did hear that one driver was court running legal how true that was !!! anybody remember the night brian dutton had a few drivers over to the hotel he was staying in for a drink. he was havin a great night until someone found out his room number. then it was a case of help yourself witch i believe a lot of the drivers did…happy days

A mate of mine, an ex Davies driver that lived in Southampton used
to drive for Kammac. He parked in Lorraines at the weekends.
His name is Dave Morgan and i believe he now lives in Holland.
Anybody remember him ?

mappo:
A mate of mine, an ex Davies driver that lived in Southampton used
to drive for Kammac. He parked in Lorraines at the weekends.
His name is Dave Morgan and i believe he now lives in Holland.
Anybody remember him ?

Yep Knew Dave, and also his brother, was it Guy■■?

Yeah must be Guy his brother always saying “got it lite” or summat similar.