Just had the pleasure of

AndrewG:
One of our regular runs are garden centres around spain and some wont have a fork lift, they think nothing of hauling the staff out to all lend a hand handballing a load off. Last one i did was 12 tonnes of agg in 25kg bags and in 30 degree heat just wearing a pair of shorts and trainers you’ll sweat your arse off. Nothing wrong with self tipping, keeps you fit/strong and healthy and would much rather do it than sit in the cab doing nothing waiting to be tipped…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
its down to your own principals.that situation is fine where the tip isnt geared and at least they all turn out to help and wade into getting you tipped.ive no probs with that.my probs with aldi and the like is that your demeaning yourself to be browbeaten into doing a warehouse cabbages job because aldi etc can get away with it due to the companies scraping for work.its demeaning and i wont do it.the clue being in my job description as a driver.roping and sheeting was hard work,but it was in a drivers remit to do so.taking a pallet truck and dumping them on the back door is ok,handballing off 400 tyres is ok,but we didnt win 2 wars so that we could be cannon fodder for the supermarkets.each to their own,if you think your not demeaning yourself,then work in a warehouse and tip yourself,

elsa Lad:

Franglais:

elsa Lad:

Franglais:

AndrewG:
One of our regular runs are garden centres around spain and some wont have a fork lift, they think nothing of hauling the staff out to all lend a hand handballing a load off. Last one i did was 12 tonnes of agg in 25kg bags and in 30 degree heat just wearing a pair of shorts and trainers you’ll sweat your arse off. Nothing wrong with self tipping, keeps you fit/strong and healthy and would much rather do it than sit in the cab doing nothing waiting to be tipped…

I’m with you Andrew. Use it or lose it. If some choose to sit in their cab eating pies and trying to bring the date of their heart attack nearer that’s their choice.
Maybe they do care about their health though, and prefer paying a gym rather than doing a little bit of work?
[emoji2]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

yes i have to agree, Think your average Trucknet member is a lazy fat ■■■■■■■■ who only time they want to move is to go and buy another pie, next they will want the warehouse staff to close the back doors or do real work like strapping the load down [emoji38] [emoji38] right im off to buy another pie after making all this effort tapping this reply out :blush:

I’m glad you agree.
Bit more tapping away at the keyboard and you’ll blag some compensation for RSI.

Surprised no one has mentioned all the warehouse joba lost because of us working like slaves?

Best get on to our friendly where’s there a blame you can claim legal shark err I mean firm

I’ve heard that some of them are so good, the clients get to keep a little cash after the legal fees are extracted !
Prob only a silly RDC rumour though.

Couldn’t agree more. My job used to be about 50/50 split between handball and “machine off” be it FLT/Manitou or farmer’s tractor with pallet forks or (slightly riskier) bale spikes; I only ever had one day some years ago where I had to handball the whole 15 tons on my own albeit across eight or nine drops; as it happened it was a Saturday so less folk about to help but I was well knackered by the end of the day. That however was very much the exception, you could often go all day and never touch a bag.

Nowadays all our “bag lorries” come with Moffetts, but we still get the odd farm or more likely, pet shop, where handball is a necessity and to be honest I almost look forward to them as it’s a mild workout, like everything else in moderation it does you good.

My own experience is that many drivers think that as soon as they get a licence that entitles them to drive anything that bends in the middle, they’re exempt from anything more taxing than turning the steering wheel or indeed delivering more than one place on any given trip. I kid you not, I’ve had more than a few drivers when I was a TM and agency consultant who regard two hits as “multi-drop” and refused to do them.

Trouble is, a lot of it is down to Elf and Safety nannying and claim-averse arse-covering. I note that even on the 12.5kg bag of peanuts I feed to the birds (half the weight of most of our feed bags) there’s a notice that “It is recommended that this bag be carried by two people”. I’m not supposed to carry the ■■■■ bags even but to put them on a trolley and wheel them in. Ever tried that with plastic feed bags on a farm? Even if I do carry them I was told by a risk assessor, with a perfectly straight face, that I should not pull them off the bed of the lorry and carry them in across my shoulder, but that I should carry them in front of me using both hands with my back straight. At a kerbside delivery where you REALLY do need to see where you’re putting your feet. Yeah, right.

As for sorting the stuff at the drop; comes with the territory sometimes, many of my customers have several different feeds delivered at the same time, if I just dumped them willy-nilly or put them in whichever shed or barn was nearest the truck I’d soon know about it. As Weeto says, plenty moan about it, then again my old boss always reckoned that some drivers would moan about having nothing to moan about, and when those drivers stopped moaning it was time to worry.

Has to be said there seem to be a lot on here who think they’re above getting their hands dirty simply because they’ve got C&E on their driving licence.

Soon you will be stacking the shelves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James96:

Hooray! Promotion. Means we’ll all get a pay rise too then. We’re always told they earn so much more than us.

Franglais:

James96:

Hooray! Promotion. Means we’ll all get a pay rise too then. We’re always told they earn so much more than us.

and you will be able to work with tolley dolleys :sunglasses:

simcor:
Can’t see why drivers moan so much about it…cant say it bothered me much having to do it myself

simcor:
Only had 6 pallets for them

Try it with 26 pallets that have been mixed then getting told you need to seperate the stock. Then come back to us and tell it it still doesnt bother you

simcor:
Can’t see why drivers moan so much about it other than I agree it shouldn’t be our job to tip it.

Because I’m disabled due to an industrial accident a few years ago, so why should I have to hobble about in pain tipping their stuff, when Aldi employ men who are fit and healthy and are perfectly capable of doing the job?

The problem is Aldi, Lidl etc pay your co. to tip the load. So your grief is with your co. for taking on the job not with the warehouse staff themselves.

ThrustMaster:

simcor:
Can’t see why drivers moan so much about it other than I agree it shouldn’t be our job to tip it.

Because I’m disabled due to an industrial accident a few years ago, so why should I have to hobble about in pain tipping their stuff, when Aldi employ men who are fit and healthy and are perfectly capable of doing the job?

In which case, the onus is upon your employer to schedule you appropriate work, and for you to reasonably refuse to deliver loads which may cause you to suffer.

With the greatest respect (and I tip my hat to you for coming back to work) simply because you can’t do it, in this case, is not a reason whereby others who are more mobile than you, shouldn’t.

there are a couple of issues to this, IF your getting a good wage to drive strap load/unload thats fine, when i worked for a company a few years back i was on £400 a week take home, which suited me, but not enough to tip and load myself…so when i got a delivery to LIDL for the first time, and got given the bay, i waited for the shutter to open…till i found out after 30 minutes i had to tip myself, so went in with a strop as you do, told em i wasnt trained for the machine, they gave me a pump up…no thanks…phoned the boss and asked him how much ? £30 he said…ok i`ll tip it…tar very much.
The other issue, is about who owns LIDL + ALDI…its the Germans innit…and who keeps raising their profits year in year out…you got it in one, and now guess whose profits are going down…Sainsburys…Morrisons…Tesco, cos they run warehouses fully staffed, where drivers DONT unload themselves…in fact its very rare to allow a driver in their warehouses…so i work on principles…and one of them is…not to self tip…if i have to wait for a few hours…thats not my problem…i am employed as a driver, i am quite fit too, and dont eat pies, i dont eat rubbish food either…but i can think of better things to do with my time, than doing a job others should be paid to do…so if you muppets want to keep working for free, just carry on, cos theres a great deal more of us who dont…but i will guarantee, that the majority who self tip dont put theyre tachos on other work?
BTW there is one exception to this rule, and that is if your boss told you at interview that you will have to self tip, but i will pay you extra…but that one job i would refuse…nothing to do with pies or whatever…principle, the same ones where drivers were asked to pull extra long trailers, load these too, strap em as well, and yet get no extra, are the bosses getting extra…too right they are.
I worked for a boss who painted a line across the back of the trailer floor where the old length used to finish, and asked drivers to ring if a company loaded over that line…cos he paid extra for the trailers, and wanted extra if someone used them, it did happen a couple of times, and he told them the rate was higher or take it off, and that was against Davies Turner, we never lost work because of it…PRINCIPLES…

truckyboy:
there are a couple of issues to this, IF your getting a good wage to drive strap load/unload thats fine, when i worked for a company a few years back i was on £400 a week take home, which suited me, but not enough to tip and load myself…so when i got a delivery to LIDL for the first time, and got given the bay, i waited for the shutter to open…till i found out after 30 minutes i had to tip myself, so went in with a strop as you do, told em i wasnt trained for the machine, they gave me a pump up…no thanks…phoned the boss and asked him how much ? £30 he said…ok i`ll tip it…tar very much.
The other issue, is about who owns LIDL + ALDI…its the Germans innit…and who keeps raising their profits year in year out…you got it in one, and now guess whose profits are going down…Sainsburys…Morrisons…Tesco, cos they run warehouses fully staffed, where drivers DONT unload themselves…in fact its very rare to allow a driver in their warehouses…so i work on principles…and one of them is…not to self tip…if i have to wait for a few hours…thats not my problem…i am employed as a driver, i am quite fit too, and dont eat pies, i dont eat rubbish food either…but i can think of better things to do with my time, than doing a job others should be paid to do…so if you muppets want to keep working for free, just carry on, cos theres a great deal more of us who dont…but i will guarantee, that the majority who self tip dont put theyre tachos on other work?
BTW there is one exception to this rule, and that is if your boss told you at interview that you will have to self tip, but i will pay you extra…but that one job i would refuse…nothing to do with pies or whatever…principle, the same ones where drivers were asked to pull extra long trailers, load these too, strap em as well, and yet get no extra, are the bosses getting extra…too right they are.
I worked for a boss who painted a line across the back of the trailer floor where the old length used to finish, and asked drivers to ring if a company loaded over that line…cos he paid extra for the trailers, and wanted extra if someone used them, it did happen a couple of times, and he told them the rate was higher or take it off, and that was against Davies Turner, we never lost work because of it…PRINCIPLES…

I think you’re conflating principles with being a stubborn awkward git. :wink: Plus you’ll find in virtually every contract of employment issued in this country, something along the lines of “the employee may be required to do other work which isn’t driving” so if your boss really wanted to be awkward he could hold you to that unless you’d got a reasonable excuse like a genuine medical condition; which if he knew about he shouldn’t have sent you there anyway.

If your vehicle is at a standstill and provided you haven’t switched the tacho to rest, it should be on “other work” anyway so I don’t quite get your point regarding that issue?

I enjoyed doing it the few times I was at Aldi/Lidl in Livingston. Was a while ago but it was definitely an electric pallet truck at one of them…maybe both. So just walking really…and it was all euro pallets.
Might be a different story if it was fullsize pallets of juice with a manual pallet truck tho…

Sidevalve:
Couldn’t agree more. My job used to be about 50/50 split between handball and “machine off” be it FLT/Manitou or farmer’s tractor with pallet forks or (slightly riskier) bale spikes; I only ever had one day some years ago where I had to handball the whole 15 tons on my own albeit across eight or nine drops; as it happened it was a Saturday so less folk about to help but I was well knackered by the end of the day. That however was very much the exception, you could often go all day and never touch a bag.

Nowadays all our “bag lorries” come with Moffetts, but we still get the odd farm or more likely, pet shop, where handball is a necessity and to be honest I almost look forward to them as it’s a mild workout, like everything else in moderation it does you good.

My own experience is that many drivers think that as soon as they get a licence that entitles them to drive anything that bends in the middle, they’re exempt from anything more taxing than turning the steering wheel or indeed delivering more than one place on any given trip. I kid you not, I’ve had more than a few drivers when I was a TM and agency consultant who regard two hits as “multi-drop” and refused to do them.

Trouble is, a lot of it is down to Elf and Safety nannying and claim-averse arse-covering. I note that even on the 12.5kg bag of peanuts I feed to the birds (half the weight of most of our feed bags) there’s a notice that “It is recommended that this bag be carried by two people”. I’m not supposed to carry the ■■■■ bags even but to put them on a trolley and wheel them in. Ever tried that with plastic feed bags on a farm? Even if I do carry them I was told by a risk assessor, with a perfectly straight face, that I should not pull them off the bed of the lorry and carry them in across my shoulder, but that I should carry them in front of me using both hands with my back straight. At a kerbside delivery where you REALLY do need to see where you’re putting your feet. Yeah, right.

As for sorting the stuff at the drop; comes with the territory sometimes, many of my customers have several different feeds delivered at the same time, if I just dumped them willy-nilly or put them in whichever shed or barn was nearest the truck I’d soon know about it. As Weeto says, plenty moan about it, then again my old boss always reckoned that some drivers would moan about having nothing to moan about, and when those drivers stopped moaning it was time to worry.

Has to be said there seem to be a lot on here who think they’re above getting their hands dirty simply because they’ve got C&E on their driving licence.

^^^^
This
many drivers havent got it in them to do a days hard graft thinking that their role as a driver means nothing more than being a steering wheel attendant. Ill actually see handballing 10-15 tons of agg in our 25kg bags as a work out and ill always without fail just get on with it. As long as ive got someone to chuck another one on top ill do 2x 25kg bags, endorphin release is addictive! No fork lift and no help from the driver could mean being stuck there for hours costing a driver lost time and his/her employer money. Sitting lard arsed in the cab shovelling in another life shortening meat pie would it seems to some more preferable… :unamused:

I didn’t mind doing pump truck deliveries, it was when bakers wanted flour carried up ricketty old woodworm eaten stairs, only for them to carry it back downstairs.
Don’t get why P and H drivers shelf stack whilst the forecourt staff stand and watch them. Usually Asians being the worst culprits.

Sidevalve…you could have hit the nail on the head mate…yes i can be a stubborn old git at times, depends on the mood…btw, the firm i was working for…had never heard of a contract…it was more like…can i see your licence…yeah thats ok…its £400 a week take home, mon - fri…trucks over there…take your pick…volvo or man…that was it…great work, clean work, but a cantankerous old git ( worse than me ) to work for…ended up jacking after 3 years over his promises he never kept, principles once again.

Was talking to the woman at I think Aldi at Chelmsford some years ago she said for some reason drivers very rarely moan about and refuse the self tip on a Friday

I don’t mind self tipping, it gets you out of the cab and helps keep you fit. I was doing work a while back for a firm on the mackro contract (wholesalers) and you always went out with a full load (26 pallets) and you had to off load it with a pump truck. You knew you be in and finished within a hour. I think its far better than sitting in a tescos drivers room bored out of your brains listening to the likes of dozy moaning about fire extinguishers & working late on a Friday.

When I first started driving (showing my age now),I used to take fertilizer onto farms, 22 tonnes in 50kg bags which had to be handball off, now that was hard dirty work, so pulling a few pallets off the back off a trailer is nothing.

Re: Just had the pleasure of…
Postby Beau Nydel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:33 pm
The problem is Aldi, Lidl etc pay your co. to tip the load. So your grief is with your co. for taking on the job not with the warehouse staff themselves.

What I know about I.T. can be stored on the top row of my abacus. I think you will find aldi tell the shippers that they want this and that, the shipper says ok, then the shippers tell the transport company that they want this or that

nick2008:

simcor:

Answered your own question there then.
At some Co-op stores they want you to empty the cages so where do you draw the line.
A drivers jo is that to take load from a to b end of .

When I 1st started driving lorries, the driver always helped unload.