Just checking out my plan

Good luck when you get there! I’ve kept my licence live and it came in useful during lockdown . Worth getting even if you dont use it straight away.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

EaGledrives:

Penguin Mafia:
Hi all, first post on the forums.

I’ve decided that I would like to get my HGV licence, not necessarily because I immediately want to change careers, but as I get older and closer to 50, I think it’s more likely. Plus I like the idea of doing it for a challenge and live close to a massive Waitrose depot - can see myself behind the wheel of one of those green lovelies!

So at 47 I am an old git, I have class 3 C1 on my driving licence already due to passing my driving test in 1993. I have got my medical booked already in just over a week’s time, then the D4 and D2 forms will go off to DVLA. I have two sessions of online CPC already booked, with my intention to get the 35 hours all done and have my CPC card ready.

Tachograph card ordered ‘just in case’, so when I have my provisional C and CE, I will try and get my theory test and hazard perception booked in late this year/early next. Hopefully by then I will have my CPC card and be 35 hours completed.

Am I right in my situation, that as I will have CPC already, that I won’t need to do module 2, the case studies? What about module 4 the practical CPC?

Not sure if I want to go class 2 and then to class 1 later, or whether to try straight to class 1, think I will see if I can get an assessment with a training school, see what they think and go from there.

I’ve been in the same boat mate, albeit i’m the other side of 50.
Id defo go the 35 hours route, you’ll learn far more, the Mod 2 and 4 was a waste of good money imo.
Now working at weekend in Class 1 and love it

Just weekends? If you have a hgv licence why not work in the week as well to recoup the investment you spent getting your license? Or just work in the week and put your feet up at the weekend.

Just an update, bit annoying really. Booked an appointment with my GP and had to wait for the phone consultation - have been advised to book a nurse appointment for a blood test and ECG, then to take two weeks worth of readings (twice per day) and then have another appointment with the GP to discuss blood test results and my readings. Decision will then be made as to whether or not I go on any medication.

It’s a bit annoying as I had my D4 medical on the 15th November, I reckon by the time this is all done, I’ll be outside the window for a free ‘retest’ medical and then have to pay for another one - unless I can use my charm and sweet talk them into extending the 60 days window…

Just took blood pressure reading which is 151/97 - so too close as other readings have been comfortably over the 100. I don’t think I could ‘chance my arm’ with a retest sooner; certainly not without any degree of confidence that I would definitely ‘slip under’.

Replying to myself but just in case anyone is interested (cue tumbleweed)…

Got the results from my blood test back, thyroid, kidneys all fine, negative on the diabetes and surprisingly, cholesterol levels ‘excellent’ according to my GP. Now on 2.5mg of Ramipril to try and get the BP under control, only been on it a few days but positive that I am moving in the right direction :sunglasses:

And again, in case this should come up in a search and/or anyone is interested :grimacing:

After a month on 2.5 mg of ramipril, the doc upped me to 5mg daily. Gave that a few weeks and blood pressure came down nicely, so rebooked medical and had it last month. Got my driving licence back from DVLA today, with provisional entitlements showing using the online licence checker.

I am glad I did the medical of my own volition, rather than booking it as part of a package. Equally I am pleased I found out my blood pressure was so high - aside from the occasional headache, I had absolutely no idea it was that high.

Now to book theory and hazard perception - onwards!

Glad it’s working out for you. Before you start booking, be aware that most good driving schools offer you a package, with theory and hazard perception (Modules 1a and 1b) included in the overall pricing.

Zac_A:
Glad it’s working out for you. Before you start booking, be aware that most good driving schools offer you a package, with theory and hazard perception (Modules 1a and 1b) included in the overall pricing.

Thank you, I just decided to take care of those myself given that I am not a huge distance from a couple of Pearson test centres.