Just a few questions please cat c class 2

Just passed the class 2 this month need now the mod 2/4 and ready for employment.
Question , is there any such work for a class 2 driver Tramping ?
If so does is there any going into Europe in a ridge ?

Class 2 tramping work is out there but it’s nowhere near as common as Class 1 tramping.

I currently do tramping in a rigid for a general haulage firm.

Thanks for the reply.
Question if I was searching the net via different agencies what would I put into search to find Tramping lorry jobs ?

Kido:
Just passed the class 2 this month need now the mod 2/4 and ready for employment.
Question , is there any such work for a class 2 driver Tramping ?
If so does is there any going into Europe in a ridge ?

No wanting to piddle on your cornflakes mate, but you need to ask yourself a question.
Who is going to put a Newbie in a wagon and send them off across the country with no knowledge of whether they are up to the job?
Yes there is a slim possibility of it happening, but I’d say logic suggests that it’s unlikely and your chances of getting a class 2 tramping job will improve once you’ve got some experience…

PaulNowak:
You could earn that kind of money by not being a rent boy.

So degrading

Has your self esteem recovered yet? :grimacing:

Guess your right , it will be hard to get a start forget about Tramping .
What do employers what to see in your CV other than experience ?
I come from a construction back ground , mini diggers , 7.5t tippers and small dumpers .

Kido:
Guess your right , it will be hard to get a start forget about Tramping .
What do employers what to see in your CV other than experience ?
I come from a construction back ground , mini diggers , 7.5t tippers and small dumpers .

Don’t give up on tramping just yet. Although my job isn’t “tramping” it does involve nights out, sometimes I can be away all week. My job isn’t really geared towards tramping, sometimes the way the runs fall I can get back to the yard and spun round again before my time runs out. I work for a large export company so I had to start from home base then return to home base with all the collections I’ve done.

These last 3 days were for me like this:

Monday:

1. Donncaster for 6am
  2. Batley Ikea for 10am (Arrived at 8’ish and got tipped quick)
  3. Return to Donncaster to collect a spa that wouldn’t fit because truck is too short
  4. Return to base for reload and spin

Tuesday:

1. Start off from Balddock services
  2. St Albans for 6am
  3. Watford for 7am
  4. Collection in Watford
  5. Dunstable
  6. Bedford
  7. Return to yard for reload and spin

Wednesday:

1. Start from Tibself services
  2. Boots Notthingham for 8:15 on the dot
  3. Notthingham paper
  4. Leicester paper
  5. Coalsvile
  6. Return to yard, refuel and park up for home time.

Most weeks are like this. A typical day run for us might be one or two in Manchester and the surrounding areas then a reload from Huddersfield and Dewsbury.

And all that for only £1,000 a week ! Lol
Joke on the side are you a newbie like me ?
I see you joined here in 2014 !
Another question is January going to be a difficult month to be looking a start in the transport business ?

Kido:
And all that for only £1,000 a week ! Lol
Joke on the side are you a newbie like me ?
I see you joined here in 2014 !
Another question is January going to be a difficult month to be looking a start in the transport business ?

I passed in August of last year. Spent six months on agency doing on jobs, mostly on 7.5t work with the odd 18t job because of my age. Got contacted by another poster on here that a company was looking for drivers and it was semi close, called then went in to see them. After two weeks they offered my a place driving 26t. The majority of the work was so easy a monkey could do it. There were some tight/stupid drops in the centre of London but we (I believe) have got rid of that contract now. The office live in their own little world but they rarely hassle you. Some days you only get a call in the morning, others they don’t phone you at all. You can tell if they are either bored or desperate for the cargo you’re carrying as they will phone about 3-4 hours or so.

The pay isn’t great and the days can be long but it really is the best of the bunch around this way when it comes to class two work. You could earn more with someone else but their trucks aren’t as nice and they work you every hour they can get.

Are you using the job as a stepping stone to gain experience ?
Is your plan like I to sit your Class 1 ?
I wanting to get a start to gain experience for future employment and get a grip of the roads to sit my Class 1 .
Ideally I would find a company that will let me grow with them starting of in class 2 and giving me time of for different courses like ADR and Class 1 lessons that I would pay for myself .
I read some where here about a insurance that a newbie can buy that costs about £10 a week that can help persuade a company to take him / her on .
Does anyone know more about this insurance policy ?

Kido:
Are you using the job as a stepping stone to gain experience ?
Is your plan like I to sit your Class 1 ?
I wanting to get a start to gain experience for future employment and get a grip of the roads to sit my Class 1 .
Ideally I would find a company that will let me grow with them starting of in class 2 and giving me time of for different courses like ADR and Class 1 lessons that I would pay for myself .
I read some where here about a insurance that a newbie can buy that costs about £10 a week that can help persuade a company to take him / her on .
Does anyone know more about this insurance policy ?

I’ve already had a crack at my class 1, failed it because I ran over a drop curb with the tractor unit. I’m having another go at it next year. I think for me, I was at a disadvantage when it came to agency work as I was only 23 at the time and with 0 driving hours many clients insurance policies wouldn’t cover me so I ended up working for some pretty crap firms, not all though, some were really good. I think the only reason the place where I’m at now took my on was because they were desperate for drivers. According to the TM, it cost the company an extra £630 in insurance costs to add me to the fleet so for a big, big company thats a drop in the ocean… sorry about the pun :grimacing:

Does anyone knows of any company looking class 2 drivers and willing to take on a newbie .
I would be prepared to travel or relocate to get a start .
Or recomend a agency that I should Reg with .

If you are willing to look hard enough there are class 2 tramping jobs out there. Quick story. I passed my class 2 in Feb 2015. Signed up with all agencies I could find in my area (North East England). I also put out CV’s to every trucking firm I could find. I got offered all the ■■■■■ hard graft jobs from a few agencies which kept me ticking over for a few months and then thanks to one helpful poster on here I landed a full time class 2 tramping job with less than 2 months experience! The job is quite frankly, amazing. We are away all over the country from Monday to Thursday and the only thing we have to do on a Friday is drive home and most drivers are back before 11am on the friday so it means you get pretty much a long weekend most weeks. If your driving time allows it you can sometimes get back on a Thursday night giving you a three day weekend. Wages are decent too, not the best but basic is above 20k a year. Night out money adds another couple of grand to that. Also have the promise of getting put through my class 1 when the need arises.

Days are usually a minimum 12 hour shift (sometimes less) and sometimes you do a 15 hour it just depends. But most weeks you average about 50 odd hours so not too bad really.

The main thing I hate about tramping class 2 is that you barely have room to swing a cat in those cabs!