Jury service on rest days

Winseer:
Not being on the electoral register is a serious downmark on one’s credit score.

Fine, if you’re living within your means, and don’t intend to get a mortgage or a car loan one day.

I guess it’s mainly going to be the old ■■■■■ that go for the “Keep me off the register” move… :confused:

I haven’t been on it for many years, probably from when I was in my 30’s and it’s never caused me problems. I’m not bothered about my credit score.

Cotswoldcrunch:
We’re not on the elected one (the junk mail one) but I thought you had no choice to be on the other?

There’s always a choice. I just bin the form each time it arrives. Then they come calling a few times and I ignore them when they ring the bell and then they give up. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: Problem solved and not on the register and I just repeat that every time it rolls round again. Yesterday I binned the second form from them this time round so another letter or two then they’ll be calling round.

hitch:
you’ll have to have time off previous to
jury service

That would be fine but it starts to get expensive for me then, days off before the case then £64 a day whilst on service surley there has to be some compensation they can’t just halve your income and expect you just to get on with it. Can they

Like I said pray it goes over the 2 weeks :unamused:

Also defer it to a time that is convenient to you from a personal/financial point. I deferred mine until the last 2 weeks before Christmas, so I basically had a month off work when it can be bloody freezing and very boring. I think I was due to do it in the February, so I had 10 months to prepare financially.

I saved a little extra each month to cover the shortfall in earnings, and bought all my Christmas presents early. Then when it cam down to it I got a case that lasted 11 days, and I lost nothing at all, so it was like getting a little bonus just after Christmas. Result! The claims for loss of earnings, travel, food etc came in very quickly too.

Maestro, just imagine the pain if you were in a 50k job.

Santa:
I did it years ago - took two weeks holiday and claimed as well thanks to a cooperative boss. Travel, meals, “lost” earnings and 10 till 4 with an hour for lunch.

So why book holidays… :question:

F-reds:
Maestro, just imagine the pain if you were in a 50k job.

That’s why I think they shouod compensate for all loss of earnings. Why shouod anyone be out of pocket for something they don’t wish to do? I know all the do gooders will say “it’s your civic duty, blah blah blah” butI wouldn’t want to be out of pocket just to sit and listen to a load of ■■■■■■■■ for a couple of weeks. Then again we do the DCPC. :laughing:
I think paid professional jurors are the way to go and leave everyone else alone.

Court cost are already stupendously high, so compensating the higher paid people is unrealistic.

I used to think a paid professional juror was the way to go, as it would help with unemployment etc. But you would lose a sense of impartiality, while potentially making yourself a target too. More important than both of those reasons though, is the fact that the whole point of a jury is it is made up of a random cross section of society, whose varying differences, experiences, and life skills, can come together and come to a decision about the fate of another lay person. Not some holier than thou person who is being paid to judge evidence.

At the end of the day, if you as a truck driver, cannot take what, I’m guessing here, would be at worst a 50% pay cut for 2 weeks, with up to 1 years warning, then there is something wrong with your personal finances.

F-reds:
At the end of the day, if you as a truck driver, cannot take what, I’m guessing here, would be at worst a 50% pay cut for 2 weeks, with up to 1 years warning, then there is something wrong with your personal finances.

But why should you? Why not when the Electoral Roll forms come through, have a tick box to opt out of Jury Service. If you’re civic minded then volunteer, if you really can’t be arsed like me, then you’ll be left alone. Just like ads for the TA, Neighbourhood Watch etc…

Everything in this world has a price Nathan, in this case your Right to Vote!

If you want a say in the way this place is run you have to offer yourself for a couple of weeks maybe once or twice in your life.

Like I said, before I did it, I would have agreed with you. But now I firmly believe what we have is a fantastic system, and it’s worth the price of a couple of weeks of your time. You may well go through life and never get called. You may get called a couple of times. Tough ■■■■■■■.

F-reds:
Everything in this world has a price Nathan, in this case your Right to Vote!

I quite agree. At the next election my X would quite easily go to the highest bidder. :wink:
I live in the PMs constituency so voting other than blue is pointless.

I’m actually hoping I’ll get called for a second time… First time around made for a cushy well-paid (net) change of scenery for me. :grimacing: