Jumpstart pack

What amp rating would anyone recommend for jump leads?

a few to choose from here

you will want the larger ampage set

hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/adva … cription=1

craigh:
What amp rating would anyone recommend for jump leads?

At least 600 amp and no longer than 3 meters.

Ref starting vehicle from a car battery.If you leave the leads connected(even to only one of the truck batteries) when you start the truck your going to get a pulse of 24 volts fed to the diode pack/regulator in the alternator and to the ecu in the car.

Not a good idea if you want to drive the car home.
Also disconnect the bridge lead between the batteries on the truck before connecting up the car to charge the batteries individualy.Might have a flat pair of batteries on the truck but you can gaurantee that the base voltage will still be nearly double the 12 volt system on the car.Again not a good idea.

So 700A will be sufficient to jump lorry to lorry and power my 6L?

Advertising attempt removed

i bought this a cpl years ago.
starts a 3 litre van from cold with the battery so flat you couldnt see the ignition light,started an audi that had lay for 2 years with the original flat battery,transits,and everything ive tried it on its started them perfectly.
all the youtube vids for it are mostly accurate and i was a tad sceptical but it does the damage for anytime ive used it.

ebay.co.uk/itm/NOCO-GB70-Ge … SwSKtafFAp

Be very careful using a jump pack on a truck, lots of the electronics, and ecu’s don’t like them, and fry. Jump leads are safer.

ask yourself why the batteries are not holding their charge, my 24 volt merc atego used to drop due to the tacho and the air control for the power take off for the slide back body, so I fitted a switch to the electrical side of the PTO and a 12v 1.5 amp hour solar panel for each of the batteries just to compensate for the tacho, job done even through the winter months the solar panels keep supplying enough charge, through the summer months the truck sits quite happily for 3 to 4 weeks and will still start reading 21.7v on the meter, one thing on a merc is you must let the dash lights complete their sequence before turning the key or mine will crank till the cows come home but not fire up, these are just what I found with my truck and may not apply to yours so good luck.

dieseldog999:
starts a 3 litre van from cold with the battery so flat you couldnt see the ignition light,started an audi that had lay for 2 years with the original flat battery,transits,and everything ive tried it on its started them perfectly.
all the youtube vids for it are mostly accurate and i was a tad sceptical but it does the damage for anytime ive used it.

I have a similar one and when I first saw it my reaction was also sceptical so the man trying to sell me it, completely took off the battery on a V6 diesel pickup and started it 8 times in a row.
The unit was still showing half charge.

Money changed hands and the thing is still getting me out of trouble years later.

AndieHyde:

dieseldog999:

I have a similar one and when I first saw it my reaction was also sceptical so the man trying to sell me it, completely took off the battery on a V6 diesel pickup and started it 8 times in a row.
The unit was still showing half charge.

Money changed hands and the thing is still getting me out of trouble years later.

Me too. Bought a cheap one from Amazon not expecting much but it works wonders and isn’t much bigger than a small book. Carry it all the time now