Johnny No-Lights

nomiS36:
I’ve had a car with cornering lights and quite liked them. I’m now in a 2006 bmw which obviously doesn’t have them but does have auto lights. The key is to realise occasionally the sensor doesn’t always get it right so you need to manually turn the lights on, hardly mastermind is it! [emoji57]
I have got coding software so I can turn the sensitivity up and down as well as turning the halos on as DRL’s then there’s about 5 different brightnesses!

Think about that.
The auto function doesn’t work 100%. So, you have to think about it. It’s not Mastermind.
So is the auto function saving any effort?
I’d say “No”. You still need to think about it every time.
Any effort it saves is minimal, but it can lead to a sense of false security.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

pierrot 14:

jakethesnake:
And please don’t get me started on the pretend fog lights under the indicators that come on when a car is turning left or right !!! :imp: :imp: :imp:

Ha I will get you started!

I take it you are talking about front lights because if you are they are not fog lamps as you suggest.

Jake you know what I mean, it’s the lights set in the bumper that come on when the vehicle is making a turn. The right one when the car is turning right, like going round a roundabout and the left one when it’s turning left. They are infuriating!!

Yes they were fitted to a CLK I had and although I found them fairly unhelpful most of the time I never find them infuriating when I see them on other cars.
What I do find infuriating is drivers using fog lamps when there is no need,(probably 90%) Please don’t get me started on that!

It would help somewhat if the roads were properly policed, plod could go and have a quiet word and this would most likely do the trick.

Then again you are referring to motorists who are by definition amateur drivers, with little or no idea of the rules relying on their information from a man down the pub.

Then again how many “drivers” do you see at 10 A.M in July with their headlights on or who take 45’s with it all left on.

And the wipers sqeauling across the glass because it stopped raining a week ago.

Franglais:

nomiS36:
I’ve had a car with cornering lights and quite liked them. I’m now in a 2006 bmw which obviously doesn’t have them but does have auto lights. The key is to realise occasionally the sensor doesn’t always get it right so you need to manually turn the lights on, hardly mastermind is it! [emoji57]
I have got coding software so I can turn the sensitivity up and down as well as turning the halos on as DRL’s then there’s about 5 different brightnesses!

Think about that.
The auto function doesn’t work 100%. So, you have to think about it. It’s not Mastermind.

Since all this auto this that and the other I’ve maintained auto wipers are great but auto lights pointless. Auto wipers for when it’s showery so they work as and when needed whereas generally it doesn’t keep stopping being dark then light so you either need the lights on or you don’t. I think we should follow what the swedes have done for years and just make it compulsory they’re on all the time.

Many Johnnys run with headights on because its a fine in some countries if you dont have them on…most ex commie bloc have this rule, and i believe its fixed as when the ignition is switched on. My Car also has an auto switch for lights but i dont use it as i prefer to do it myself, same as the wipers auto as well. I did fit some after sales daytime running lights, but had them wired into the side lights so i have lights back and front, and it avoids me having to put headlamps on where theyre needed during the day in brilliant sunshine…never did make sense to me…and they were thinking of making it law here, but the organisations said it would take away the safety aspect of motorcycles…who do run day and night with headlights on, and their belief was if everyone also had them on…bang, crash, wallop…never understood that either…as of a night…everyone uses headlights anyway…

Problem with Auto lights is they cannot detect heavy rain and fog, so still have to be turned on manually.

Eric Rambler:
I think cars with daytime front lights should have the rears on too, our lorries do, but a lot of cars don’t. I saw so many in heavy snow with no rear lights on, they probably thought they were on.

Yes, they do think they are on. Had this argument with two neighbours who didn’t turn their rear fog lights on in dense fog because “they assumed they would come on automatically” and it was hard work explaining that even the rear lights wouldn’t be lit either! Had to actually prove it to them, they then thought it was a stupid system and I agree. Then you get the drivers, sometimes with an auto gearbox, who sit at lights with the footbrake on blinding you with the high level brakelight in wet or inclement weather conditions, another friend does that because she struggles to operate the handbrake anyway and never uses it, she just leaves the vehicle in ‘P’ when parked up! :unamused:

Pete.

nomiS36:

Franglais:

nomiS36:

Think about that.

Since all this auto this that and the other I’ve maintained auto wipers are great but auto lights pointless. Auto wipers for when it’s showery so they work as and when needed whereas generally it doesn’t keep stopping being dark then light so you either need the lights on or you don’t. I think we should follow what the swedes have done for years and just make it compulsory they’re on all the time.

Headlights on permanently!
You jest, sir!
It’s in my truck handbook that it wastes fuel.
That’d cost 0.0001 of an m.p.g. I reckon. [emoji3]

A huge problem is day time running lights ,as the average driver doesn’t realise that on a car you don’t have tail lights on…So they trundle about in the dark with their LEDs on on the front only …With my car the only way to have tail lights on is to have the dip beam on as well …And how many average car driver checks their lights ,reads the handbook ,and the salesman won’t explain it to them…

WIth the really bad blown bulbs, you have cars at night looking like faraway motorcycles, rather than nearly-on-you cars with the nearside light completely dark.

Back in 2000-2001 when I spent some time in Upper Egypt, I noticed that it’s a cultural thing in places like Luxor, Qena, and even the more rural places - for ALL cars to run about with no lights at night. Taxis have their side lights on only - in the dead of night. Every time they approached a pedestrian or a vehicle coming against them, they’d beep away. Whilst this approach would be disaster in Britain, hence my concern with the headline of this thread, - I should point out that electricity in upper Egypt is as cheap as chips, and as a consequence - the street lighting is VERY good compared to what we’re used to here. The Aswan Dam supplies enough power so that even that third-world African Republic - has plenty of cheap Utilities to go around, along with a veritable smorgasboard of farm produce to feed the population cheaply as well.

Drive into the desert though? - You have to register in to an official convoy, and have police ■■■■■■ vehicles with you. If you don’t - then you are running an illegal convoy, and are likely to be arrested. It’s a 4.5hr drive from Qena to Safaga for example, with a halfway house stop along the way - and nothing but hilly desert for the rest.

STILL No lights, except the lead convoy vehicle, which isn’t always the police one. :unamused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=276&v=1BvcV80BcYU (Return run from Safaga back to Qena, coming inland from the seaside @ Safaga, where the Hurghada road turns inland.)

Actually the roads themselves out there - are bloody good. A lot of the infrastructure was built up for the Nassar regime back in the 60’s. The pylons are the same style we use in the UK. With all energies other than natural gas costing buttons, and transport workers - the same - I would argue that Egypt is probably a better place to be an ex-pat than somewhere like Spain, where your money doesn’t go nearly as far as it once did.

My latest car has DRL but out of habit I turn on my dipped full beams all the time when I set off.

Mine and my sons VW UP! Can both have the lights left on permanently if so desired because they go off when the ignition is switched off. I wonder if all cars are like this nowadays■■?

nomiS36:
Mine and my sons VW UP! Can both have the lights left on permanently if so desired because they go off when the ignition is switched off. I wonder if all cars are like this nowadays■■?

Modern Fords are, but after 20 odd years of turning my lights off when I park up, I still turn them off myself.

My headlights stay on for a couple of minutes after switching off the ignition, supposed to be like that to show you the way up your drive ■■ I park on the road !! Pointless, yet another gimmick that can be programed out …

raymundo:
My headlights stay on for a couple of minutes after switching off the ignition, supposed to be like that to show you the way up your drive ■■ I park on the road !! Pointless, yet another gimmick that can be programed out …

My BMW and had previous cars where you pull the flash to pass lever when the ignition is turned off makes the lights do the follow me home thing. A better way of doing it I think. The time they stay on is programmable.

Years ago, I had a second-hand Volvo. You could either have the lights on daylight setting (on all the time engine was running on dip) or night (on all the time engine was running with main beam available). I always left it on the second setting

I lent it to my then (now ex) wife.

Got the inevitable phone call as it was getting dark.

“I’m trying to drive home and it’s getting dark. How do I turn the lights on?”

“Like I said, dear, the lights are on all the time. Don’t touch any of the switches. Please, just concentrate on the driving.”

“But what about the back lights. How do I switch them on.”

“They are on. Please just put the phone down and concentrate on the driving.”

“Well how do I know they are on?”

“If you don’t believe me, you must find a safe place to stop, get out of the car with the engine still running and walk around to the back. If the rear lights are on, you will see a red glow coming out of them. But please, put the phone down and concentrate on the driving.”

“Now you are just being horrible”

Note: I said ex-wife.