Job with a ban

tmcassett:

Night-and-day:

Conor:
Decent companies and large ones like Culina, DHL, Wincanton

The decent companies that you mention there are the ones to be avoided. Staffed by steering wheel attendants and bean counters. The likes of which post frequently on here worrying how long the prison sentence is for an infringement or overspeed, or how to find a drop without a method statement and risk assessment. He will get a job at a proper firm no problem at all

Really? Why is that - because they like to make sure things are done properly?

As for the rest of the rubbish you put, you are making a big generalization there. I have worked for Wincanton on the Argos contract and currently work for DHL on one of their contracts and they are the 2 best jobs I have had in this industry. If I had to be critical they are both OTT on H&S (especially DHL) but that’s it. And I have no idea why you have an issue because they provide risk assessments for drops, I’m perfectly capable of finding delivery points without them but if the company is going to provide something to “help” then I’m all for it.

What would your definition of “a proper firm” be?

The only issue i had with risk assesments was they wernt always possible to carry out due to residents cars or other issues One was down an alley way with a body repair place half way along fine in the daytime as someone around to move a car if need be but at night they had gone home so you couldnt assume it was clear and if you drove down there a very dificult dog leg reverse to get back out. The other issue was the store was very good at telling you to read the risk assesment if they were being pedantic but never wanted to do thier side of the bargin ie make sure your accses and egress was clear and the loading area was clear. most stores would work with the driver and come up with a soloution and or help. but a few wouldnt

Rikki-UK:
Have you been called in for a “chat” with the TC without tea and biscuits? if not i would expect it to come, They are getting very hot on offences by HGV licence holders (makes them look good) I have an ex colleague who recently got into a heated chat with another driver and got arrested and charged , the Police reported him to the TC even though it isnt a traffic offence and he has been invited for a chat without tea and biscuits

Or the alternative is me who was told by the dvsa solicitor , vosa bloke , compliance officer etc that I would have to have tea & biscuits with the tc & would get 1 months suspension of my license ,in the event the t/c sent me a letter saying i was being cautioned , no need to meet her , no suspension of lisence
While everyone was getting hysterical about it , including the clerk of the court who spent what seemed like 1/2 hr going on about a custodial sentence , the t/c seemed to be the only person using a bit of common sense about the whole situation
Same as renewing my license , while the dvla would tall you nothing for weeks , what was happening with your license until the day before it ran out , a call to the eastern t/c office had the issue sorted out in mins
I found the t/c & there offices top notch , they seem to use there common sense about situations & couldnt be more helpful
Pity the t/c wasn’t in court judging the case as I doubt she’d of given me a £776 fine like the 3 judges did !!!
I don’t think ricki it does any good worrying the kid sick , we should be trying to support a fellow driver , give him a few positives , as I say I was meant to have my license suspended for a month , in the even I just got a caution , could be this kid does , fingers crossed for the lad

Memphis464:
HI,

I’ve recently been given a 56day driving ban and assuming I get to keep my HGV license later (need to send a grovelling letter to the traffic commissioner)
how likely/unlikely am I to get a job after I’m allowed to drive again?
I’ve looked at plenty of jobs and none of the mention bans on the penalty code I have, just points.
I have attached a picture of my endorsements so you can see for yourselves.
Any advise will be appreciated.
Thanks
Memphis

Your getting ahead of yourself , I’ve no doubt like me you’ll have every driver & his mate telling you all sorts , how you’ll loose your license etc
I went to court & was told by the dvsa solicitor after court case I would have to travel back up & go before the t/c & my license would be suspended for 1 month , this was the dvsa solicitor , the t/c sent me a letter saying I was being cautioned over my conduct , no need to meet her , no suspension of my license
I’ve no idea what will happen to you , hopefully something like me , but I’d be careful listening to all these on here of what will happen / won’t happen to you , I’d hazard a guess 99 % have never had any involvement with the t/c other than what they’ve dreamed up , heard from someone who knows no more than they do
So my advice is hang fire , don’t beat yourself up about it , and don’t speed on a motorway , like I don’t drive without a card in anymore , hope it works out for you , I still get kittens passing a vosa station !!!

Conor:
TBH getting two SP50s not even 8 months apart, especially speeding bad enough on a motorway to get a ban which means 100MPH you shouldn’t be behind the steering wheel of a lorry. I expect the views of the TC will be equally unfavourable.

Just going to say, I really don’t think what might be done by a driver in a car is in anyway an accurate reflection of what they would do when driving a lorry, espeically when it comes to things like speed. They’re just two different caps you put on depending on which vehicle you’re getting into. 100 in a car in the right environment isn’t a big deal imho, the driving dynamic does change and it’s a very good idea to be much more familar with the maintinance level and condition of your car than the regular driver is and pay more attention to the road surface and vis. I found it is a constant case of risk balancing and just like anything you just have to be sensible with it and not take the ■■■■.

Personally, I came away a better driver, imho.

NB: I am not condoning speeding here, it’s still breaking the law.

Thanks for the info on that company, i’ll make sure to avoid them.

toonsy:
I’m not going to lecture, you know you should have acted better especially when your job relies on it, but none of us are perfect.

I thought you said… :wink:

Peg:
Just going to say, I really don’t think what might be done by a driver in a car is in anyway an accurate reflection of what they would do when driving a lorry, espeically when it comes to things like speed.

Yeah, but the TC’s have their own ideas on that, and when you’re a vocational driver it pays to be aware of how they think. How many drivers are aware that if they get points on their licence for something they’ve done in their car, their TM is obliged to report that to the TC?