Jarvis Robinson Transport, Liverpool

I read recently that Jarvis Robinson Transport and Cranmer Cartage were part of Coast Lines,
the shipping company that owned, amongst others, the Guinness boats that used to arrive in
Salthouse Dock near the Pier Head I Liverpool. The two companies merged into one, sometime
in the late 1960s or early 1970s. I would like to find some pictures of Cranmer Cartage lorries
in their original yellow livery. These 4 new ERF lorries carry the new name. Ray Smyth.

DeanB kindly posted this picture on this thread a while back, and I have just discovered
it again on the “Bootle Times” forum pages. I now know that the registration number on
the Foden ballast tractor is JKB 295. Regards, Ray Smyth.

Another better picture of Jarvis Robinson Foden JKB 295, at Guinness Exports, Norfolk Street, Liverpool.
Picture from “Bootle Times” forum. Regards, Ray Smyth.

This used to be the entrance to Jarvis Robinson Transport at Canal Street in Bootle, Liverpool.
The depot is now occupied by Maghull Coaches, who have a sizable fleet of very smart single
deck and double deck buses and coaches. Pictures from “Bootle Times” forum.

Ray Smyth.

A Jarvis Robinson Transport pack of cards from the 1950s.
Picture from Bootle Times Forum.

JRT Cards.jpg

A glimpse of Jarvis Robinson Transport depot in Canal Street, Bootle.
I think the picture is from 1948, taken from the walkway of the Council
block of tenement flats, overlooking the Leeds & Liverpool Canal.

The picture is from the Bootle Times Forum.

Leyland Beaver ballast tractor, Reg.No. ADM 354, ex Jarvis Robinson Transport of Bootle, Liverpool.
The lorry at the back looks like a Bedford. Picture from Peter Kenrick.

JRT ADM 354.JPG

Cranmer Cartage Ltd of Bootle merged with Jarvis Robinson Transport.
The company became Jarvis Cranmer Transport.

Ray Smyth.

Jarvis Robinson Leyland Beaver ballast lorry, reg. no. ADM 354, fleet no. 158
on the 1970 Trans Pennine run. Ray Smyth.

ADM 354 Trans Pennine.JPG

Jarvis Robinson Leyland Beaver ballast tractor, Reg.No. ADM 354.
Click on picture for full image. Picture from The Leyland Society
“Leyland Torque” by Peter Davies.

ADM 354..jpg

Leyland Beaver and drawbar trailer, one of many from 1949/1950,
a regular sight on the dock road in Liverpool. NMP.

Jarvis Robinson Transport novelty pack of cards. These would have been useful in the 1950s and 1060s
when drivers were queueing for hours at Liverpool docks.

JRT Cards.jpg

This Jarvis Robinson drawbar trailer is unlike any that I saw many years ago, or any that appear
on this thread. The front axle is a 4-in-line, as well as the rear. I imagine it was a difficult job
if you had to change an inner wheel and tyre if you were on the road. Years ago, many drivers
carried a bottle jack and wheelbrace and a spare wheel. NMP.

I found these pictures on the Bootle History Forum. The location is Wapping on the Dock Road in Liverpool.
On the right is a stores/workshop of Grayson Rollo and Clover Ltd, ship repairers. The horse drawn cart
at the front of the building is probably from Jarvis Robinson Transport, some time in the 1950s.

The second picture shows a Bedford bearing the Grayson Rollo and Clover name on the headboard
and Jarvis Robinson Transport on the cab door. This was a long term contract to carry electricians,
welders, labourers, and their tools and equipment to carry out their repair work on ships in the docks
on both sides of the River Mersey. Click on 2nd picture for full image.

Ray Smyth.

JRT Grayson.jpg

Jarvis Robinson Transport and Cranmer Cartage were part of the Coast Lines shipping group.
Toward the end of the 1960s, the companies merged to become Jarvis Cranmer Transport.
This ERF is one of several which mainly carried containers. NMP.

Ray Smyth:
Jarvis Robinson Transport and Cranmer Cartage were part of the Coast Lines shipping group.
Toward the end of the 1960s, the companies merged to become Jarvis Cranmer Transport.

Coast Lines also owned Northern Ireland Trailers, and the whole group was acquired by P&O. If I remember rightly, Jarvis-Cranmer was the nucleus of North Western Roadways, and which in time merged with other regional companies to form P&O Roadways.

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:

Coast Lines also owned Northern Ireland Trailers, and the whole group was acquired by P&O. If I remember rightly, Jarvis-Cranmer was the nucleus of North Western Roadways, and which in time merged with other regional companies to form P&O Roadways.

Chris, Thank you for your additional info. With regard to Northern Ireland Trailers, I used to see their vehicles at the Heinz factory
at Kitt Green very often during my 3 years of driving for Robert Baillie of Portsmouth. I seem to recall they had Mk 1 Atkinsons on 3 axles
coupled to trailers which were about 30 ft long, and some of them loaded the Heinz products on to a " Lancashire Flat ".
Is there a Northern Ireland Trailers thread here on Trucknet ? Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
Chris, Thank you for your additional info. With regard to Northern Ireland Trailers, I used to see their vehicles at the Heinz factory
at Kitt Green very often during my 3 years of driving for Robert Baillie of Portsmouth. I seem to recall they had Mk 1 Atkinsons on 3 axles
coupled to trailers which were about 30 ft long, and some of them loaded the Heinz products on to a " Lancashire Flat ".
Is there a Northern Ireland Trailers thread here on Trucknet ? Cheers, Ray.

You’re welcome, Ray. I started there the year after N.I.T. had merged into Pandoro, but traffic from ‘The Beanery’ was a daily job, although always loaded on days by the drivers and not using an on-site shunter as many of Heinz’ hauliers did. Not long before I left Pandoro in 1982, they took over the former BRS depot nearby. N.I.T. ran quite a number of 6x2 Atkinsons (one Chinese 6 and the rest Rear Steers), so that they could achieve 32 tons with 30’ trailers. Unlike modern deep sea container operations, their equipment came in 20’, 30’ and 40’ lengths with, as you say, many a Lancashire flat amongst them. I don’t think there’s an N.I.T. or Pandoro thread here, but there are groups for both on Flickr.

Here’s one for you, although not loaded for Heinz - a photo from an Atkinson factory negative:

Jarvis Robinson Transport ADM 354. Picture from Peter Kenrick.
Second picture of ADM 354 by Peter Davies, Shown previously.

I received these 4 pictures of Jarvis Robinson Leylands earlier today. I was told that these pictures were
found in a rubbish skip at a Leyland Motors factory. Cheers, Ray Smyth.

I have tried to post these pictures the right way up, but for some strange reason, they are sideways on.
My computer skills are somewhat limited, but I have not had this problem before. :open_mouth:

I have just invented a method of posting the pictures the right way up. Click on pictures for full image. :wink:

Cheers, Ray.

24.jpg

23.jpg

22.jpg

1.jpg