J&R Adams Newcastle

Lawrence Dunbar:
0 NMP.

Larry, was that Big John’s motor, ,(his surname escapes me for the moment :blush: :blush:)
He parked it behind the garage at White Mare Pool, his home was just along the road at Felgate. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0 NMP.

Larry, was that Big John’s motor, ,(his surname escapes me for the moment :blush: :blush:)
He parked it behind the garage at White Mare Pool, his home was just along the road at Felgate. Regards Kev.

Hi Kev, It was John McKennas , Sadley he passed away some time ago, Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0 NMP.

Hi Kev, It was John McKennas , Sadley he passed away some time ago, Larry.

That’s the lad Larry, how he folded himself into that LAD cab is a mystery! He was a very tall bloke. Regards Kev.

Hi Kev, IIRC He was 6ft 3, He only drove rigids for Jakey, His last one was a four wheeler ERF, He started for Adams IIRC 1960ish, He was a great lad a laugh a minute when in Lawsons Cafe at Londonderry when Baxters Adams Orrell & Brewster Jennings of Gateshead all stopped there about Midnight when heading South for Beans 0n Toast etc, The banter ,was tops, I could go on forever talking about those good old days, .Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry, is that the new wind farm supply depot being built on the old Redhead shipyard site in South Shields? Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry, is that the new wind farm supply depot being built on the old Redhead shipyard site in South Shields? Regards Kev.

Hi Kev, Its a new heat exchange plant that will heat water from the Tyne to heat local housing, Its close to the old Rolling Mill at Jarrow, Take care and stay safe and all the very best for Xmas & New Year, Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Kev, Its a new heat exchange plant that will heat water from the Tyne to heat local housing, Its close to the old Rolling Mill at Jarrow, Take care and stay safe and all the very best for Xmas & New Year, Larry.

Thanks Larry,I know the place now, it’s the old Durastic factory opposite Duggies Tavern.
(Used to be known as the “White Lead” ) Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Thanks Larry,I know the place now, it’s the old Durastic factory opposite Duggies Tavern.
(Used to be known as the “White Lead” ) Regards Kev.

We had a wagon / hiab painted in Tarmac colours on permament hire to Briggs Amasco on Station Lane, Birtley.
Briggs took over Durastic in the eighties, closed Birtley depot and moved everything to Jarrow.
IIRC Durastic produced their own ashphalt blocks there but that operation was shut down soon after the takeover.

Tyneside

Thats correct Tyneside, A pal o fmine used to load some kind of dust from Brada Quarry near Bamburgh for Durastic We also took the odd load of Sea Sand from Cresswell Beach for them too, Larry.