Its a long shot!.... HELMARK OF MANCHESTER?

CJA1:

Boatchaser:

CJA1:

gazza1970:
can’t remember the blokes name with the scania’s I was only young , i went with one of his drivers a couple of times to fuel up on the garage that was by the base ,
i remember Austin spent lots of time at his house in croft,
you might know my oldman Bernard Selby.

Hi Gazza1970", Aye Bumped into Austin a few yrs ago, I was doin Some work on Polymers[Plastics] Tanks odd day"s W/Ends, for Hunt Bros, it was at the time hunts were moving to there new depot at Earlestown, I was in the yard at Glaziers Lane when I sees this Guy walk across the yard and into the Office, I thought Bloody hell was that Austin? so I goes in and there he was sat behind one of the desks, Large as Life well we just Laughed and it took us right back 30 odd yrs, we didn"t get much wrk done that day, well he did a couple of yrs there runnin traffic? then he retired, got a new Mitsibishi 4x4 went off touring Spain? still got his No" layin around, is he still in"t same house at Croft?bernard selby u say, did ur dad go to work for Ferrymasters when they opened at risley/Wton? if it was him I remember him Starting with Austin? it was about the time Austin got that Land opposite Irlam Station got grader in made a bit of room rest was history as they say? cos b4 that we had wagons at home, LOL happy Days remember Young Danny From think it was Northwich, e got the s80 wen it came, then went off to work for a firm in Macclesfield? Cheers Chris.

I,m so sure Hunts old yard was in Culcheth on Church lane, there was nothing on Glaziers lane other than Ikins farm and Worthington farm, I lived in Culcheth when hunts only had 6-8 wheeker,s that was from 1963 till i left in 2007. I then early days there was a haulage firm behind the Shell garage in Croft, the garage was owned by Mr Birchall, Can anyone remember who had the haulage firm . I give you a clue “white tippers”

hi Boatchaser, yeh I know were u mean mate but at that particular time he also had some trl parking on glaziers lane, near the fishing Lakes, and a bit of storage, and a small office I moved a load of trls from there around that time, he also parked trls on the taylor Estate, had to have aspecial fob in the cab to get his trls out of theer Church lane was main address Cheers Chris

My Mum worked for Alan Taylor when the Ind was just his and made exhausts, In the early 70,s there was my dad , Danith pulling for Norfolk Line and Tommy Thompson parking in Culcheth. My dad always getting told off by Mr Tiniun ■■ (village copper ) for coming home over the bridge in wigshaw lane with i have to say several other paddy,s on a sunday morning way over weight on route to europe !!! Still no got the haulage firm in Croft anyone

Boatchaser:

CJA1:

Boatchaser:

CJA1:

gazza1970:
can’t remember the blokes name with the scania’s I was only young , i went with one of his drivers a couple of times to fuel up on the garage that was by the base ,

Hi Gazza1970", Aye Bumped into Austin a few yrs ago, I was doin Some work on Polymers[Plastics] Tanks odd day"s W/Ends, for Hunt Bros, it was at the time hunts were moving to there new depot at Earlestown, I was in the yard at Glaziers Lane when I sees this Guy walk across the yard and into the Office, I thought Bloody hell was that Austin? so I goes in and there he was sat behind one of the desks, Large as Life well we just Laughed and it took us right back 30 odd yrs, we didn"t get much wrk done that day, well he did a couple of yrs there runnin traffic? then he retired, got a new Mitsibishi 4x4 went off touring Spain? still got his No" layin around, is he still in"t same house at Croft?bernard selby u say, did ur dad go to work for Ferrymasters when they opened at risley/Wton? if it was him I remember him Starting with Austin? it was about the time Austin got that Land opposite Irlam Station got grader in made a bit of room rest was history as they say? cos b4 that we had wagons at home, LOL happy Days remember Young Danny From think it was Northwich, e got the s80 wen it came, then went off to work for a firm in Macclesfield? Cheers Chris.

I,m so sure Hunts old yard was in Culcheth on Church lane, there was nothing on Glaziers lane other than Ikins farm and Worthington farm, I lived in Culcheth when hunts only had 6-8 wheeker,s that was from 1963 till i left in 2007. I then early days there was a haulage firm behind the Shell garage in Croft, the garage was owned by Mr Birchall, Can anyone remember who had the haulage firm . I give you a clue “white tippers”

hi Boatchaser, yeh I know were u mean mate but at that particular time he also had some trl parking on glaziers lane, near the fishing Lakes, and a bit of storage, and a small office I moved a load of trls from there around that time, he also parked trls on the taylor Estate, had to have aspecial fob in the cab to get his trls out of theer Church lane was main address Cheers Chris

My Mum worked for Alan Taylor when the Ind was just his and made exhausts, In the early 70,s there was my dad , Danith pulling for Norfolk Line and Tommy Thompson parking in Culcheth. My dad always getting told off by Mr Tiniun ■■ (village copper ) for coming home over the bridge in wigshaw lane with i have to say several other paddy,s on a sunday morning way over weight on route to europe !!! Still no got the haulage firm in Croft anyone

Hi Boatchaser, TTs they Used to be in Bars Pop Atherton early 70s, did abit for them on"t Agency after I Retired think they are gone now?, Dantith didn" they used av a place at bottom of Wigan Rd or Parked trs [n/Line] and general, with another firm? can"t think o"t name, Down"t side o"t Sportsman Pub? happy Day"s LOL Cheers Chris. PS was it Massey"s?

No it was not Massey,s ,he,s on Warrington Rd opp the Prison on Clare,s Farm Come on everybody put yor thinking caps on. Top photo is dad ,s Daf parked in the centre of Culcheth, bottom one taken in Bray in Irlande back at base Sorry to hijack this thread

Hi anyone who has worked for AK Worthington as a class c, what sort of wagons are they? do they have auto box or 4 over4 ■■
Would like to know.

Cheers
Paul

I knew your dad I worked for Austin from the pub car park then the railway station then into the posh warehouse on the old steal works only left when Aone bought bowies yes I went to sale as wellDanny Kimber when working for that tank firm with camals on there tubes dereck Stanley went to civil and lintils Arthur died Vinny went mad and gotr put in a home and Paul went to Lanstar I think oh Mike (superscouse) James went to Whitbread’s at Salmsbury and then went off eat porridge for god knows what

Oh to add a bit Austin becam echairman of the RHA for a year mad ehim put his cigar out though I drove OCT ■■? till it died a death then FPV389T till I left OCT was an ex Bridgewater transport day cab he had a chicken coup put on the basck :open_mouth:

Who can remember a big fire at a Salford transport depot in the 80’s which burnt for about two days. Rumour has it that it was this fire which had a lot to do with the transport Hazpac regulations being brought into force. For some reason Austin Caulfield seems to ring a bell but hopefully I am wrong until someone can remember who it actually was. Maybe it was because Austin was the chairman on the R.H.A. at the time that his name springs to mind. :confused:

I’m pretty certain it was BR Hauliers who had the big blaze, maybe around 83 or 84.I know it was a Saturday night as I’d just come out of an ale house in Sedgeley Park and presumed it was bombs going off in the City centre,we decided to rapidly head home.

mushroomman:
Who can remember a big fire at a Salford transport depot in the 80’s which burnt for about two days. Rumour has it that it was this fire which had a lot to do with the transport Hazpac regulations being brought into force. For some reason Austin Caulfield seems to ring a bell but hopefully I am wrong until someone can remember who it actually was. Maybe it was because Austin was the chairman on the R.H.A. at the time that his name springs to mind. :confused:

Yes I do remember the explosion in Salford,it was chemical based,but I cannot recall the haulier concerned,but what has this to do with Helmark from Droylesden,Bruce was not involved in anyway shape or form?

David

5thwheel:

mushroomman:

Yes I do remember the explosion in Salford,it was chemical based,but I cannot recall the haulier concerned,but what has this to do with Helmark from Droylesden,Bruce was not involved in anyway shape or form?

David

Sorry David, it’s probably got absolutely nothing to do with Helmark from Droyslden :blush: but as another poster has already mentioned Austin Caulfield I had a feeling at the back of my mind that over thirty years ago Austin had a depot in Salford and thinking about it now I realise that Austin’s depot was at one time or another in Tyldesley.

it was a.bloor b+ r hauliers Salford took some very dodgy drums in there about 1980 Austin Wilkinson was Salford Austin Caulfield was culcheth then irlam ta

Thanks Bob Lad for clearing that up and it’s great to see you back on here. :smiley:

Regards Steve.

bob-lad:
it was a.bloor b+ r hauliers Salford took some very dodgy drums in there about 1980 Austin Wilkinson was Salford Austin Caulfield was culcheth then irlam ta

Don,t mean to be picky but Austin Caulfield was Croft not Culcheth, next village from Culcheth ,my dad did some work for him in a 86 to Northern Ireland

CJA1:

gazza1970:

I used to drive for Austin around 95 -97 he had ERf and Volvo used to sub for Munros & Thompsons from Glazebury I did 2 trips to spain and he would do the 3rd used to give me £25 bonus if I got 8mpg. What a Character!! say hi to him from Paulybear from Preston.

Hi, quite unexpectedly I was sent some pics a while ago by Bruce’s son mark of the helmark merc of which I building a model of.

These are the only pictures to my mind of these trucks, I wish I had taken some pictures all those years ago!

image by harryvr6, on Flickr

Once again, huge thanks to mark for these,

Thanks, stew (harryvr6)

harryvr6:
Hi, quite unexpectedly I was sent some pics a while ago by Bruce’s son mark of the helmark merc of which I building a model of.

These are the only pictures to my mind of these trucks, I wish I had taken some pictures all those years ago!

image by harryvr6, on Flickr

Once again, huge thanks to mark for these,

Thanks, stew (harryvr6)

Here is the Mancuniun 2 taken 1981 Manchester Docks.

…and at Containerbase Barton Dock Road Trafford Park also 1981

Hi Cronus,

Many many thanks indeed for posting up your pictures of the mancunian 2!!!

I didn’t think I’d ever see such quality images of her! I can now finally add the correct registration number and other final details to the model iam building!

I loved this truck as a kid, and I’ve built this model from memory really.

flickr.com/photos/129162971 … 8789711785

It’s not ideal to only have a link but I’m having trouble copy and pasting on this tablet, sorry.

I would like to build Bruce’s transcon ideally but I’ll need deep pockets for that one!

Once again, can’t thank you enough for helping me out here,

Many thanks indeed,

stew.

harryvr6:
Hi Cronus,

Many many thanks indeed for posting up your pictures of the mancunian 2!!!

I didn’t think I’d ever see such quality images of her! I can now finally add the correct registration number and other final details to the model iam building!

I loved this truck as a kid, and I’ve built this model from memory really.

flickr.com/photos/129162971 … 8789711785

It’s not ideal to only have a link but I’m having trouble copy and pasting on this tablet, sorry.

I would like to build Bruce’s transcon ideally but I’ll need deep pockets for that one!

Once again, can’t thank you enough for helping me out here,

Many thanks indeed,

stew.

You’re welcome. Original photos are on Kodachrome slides. They have darkened somewhat on the transfer I’m afraid. My Dad was between jobs at the time and did a few weeks for Bruce, a good mate of his. I went with him that day and took the photos.

Hi again, very interesting story and I’m very glad you went along and took your camera!

I can manipulate the darkened image at work and I’m sure it will prove to be priceless to me!

This truck sounded pretty awesome, I used to see it all the time but never took any pictures of it.

Many thanks again,

Stew

harryvr6:
Hi again, very interesting story and I’m very glad you went along and took your camera!

I can manipulate the darkened image at work and I’m sure it will prove to be priceless to me!

This truck sounded pretty awesome, I used to see it all the time but never took any pictures of it.

Many thanks again,

Stew

Found a couple more I took on the day…

… and a very young Mr Cronus and the Pentax ME camera… is this a very early selfie?