It's 1988...

Just about grew out of the army label that said ‘sprog’ even though i’d been in a couple of years by then!!! 1988 - returning from Hong Kong, did my HGV Class 2 and was straight down to the agency, working virtually every weekend that I didn’t cop for a guard duty. :cry: :cry:

Good thing was, driving some of the crap (army) Bedfords through the week meant that even the yard dog at weekends (agency) was still an improvement!! :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

In 88 I was part time driving for Wilson’s of Boroughbridge… Day job in an office 0830 to 5 evenings at Wilsons 6pm to Midnight+.

Driving A series ERF’s Mercs, F7’s F12’s and anything else that came in the yard on Fridges and flats.

Big day when we got our 1st new 2800 Daf excellent motor loved driving it even with the FUller box.

Driving a 7.5 ton Bedford TK for Royal Mail.

Sensible hours (9 hours max), loading and unloading done for me and a staff resturant at the end of every run.

Plus, I could sit behind cars at the lights and Hissss the brakes at them.

Motorbike despatch rider for Pony Express in London.

Earned more per week then than I do now :frowning:

I was 26 :open_mouth: and milking cows for a living :blush:

I was working for Gerry Jones in Newport I had been with him for a couple of years having been made redundant from Glyn John Transport. Gerry had started buying new kit and gave me a brand new Seddon Atkinson 290 ■■■■■■■ with the first of the twin splitter gear boxes. coupled to a 40ft flat on general haulage (roping and sheeting) happy days

Blimey i was 33 :open_mouth: . Just got a new 95 Daf ’ f ’ reg
pulling a fridge for Frigoscandia out of london E15, all
over UK and Europe.

i was 27 whizzing round Cannock in ford dormabile mini buses that sat 16 with 5 standing .

it used to give the old dears memorys of when they rode the walzter at the local fair, Hold tight and pray you got there.

went back 17 yrs later but the job nots what is was then,not in today’s sue culture.

I think I was either doing round timber from darn sarf or was on my way to Greece in my Saviem or Transcon. Both jobs ran together for a while.

My mate used to strip his tilt down to load timber from Dorking, I was soft and borrowed a flat trailer

JB:
I was loading and unloading clothes for etam ladieswear in mansfield… Happy days… out on the town with the lads… 20 years old… no bloody great beer belly… very fit because of the physical job.

Mate i was doing the same thing as you, but in 1983, the first job i ever had :laughing:

I think they realised i was not happy working in the warehouse so they sent me
out on the wagons as a mate, absolutely loved it, that’s when i knew what i wanted to do, used to do the south west run, leave early monday morning, two
nights out, back wednesday, brilliant, also did the south east, and north west
runs, and at 16/17 it was like an adventure. Been on the road ever since.

Passed the class one in 1988, but have never felt quite confident enough
for artics, which is why i intend to re-train on it and have another go. I think i
was lucky at the time i trained to find a chap who had a scania (old 92) model
that had a sleeper cab, and high/low splitter, which probably made it the biggest and best vehicle in our area to train on.

neil46:
i was driving a 7.5tonner for JWQ TPT in reading

only 11 at the time going to work with my dad in the holidays he was working for JWQ transport swindon wonder if you knew him neil ozzy is his name from cheltenham as you knew kids wernt ment to be in cab so spent most of time in the bunk happy times :smiley:

most of that year was doing eastern blok work if memory serves, tho if there was nothing doing did the odd Spain and Portugal. Happy days.
sdj

i was 18
just started a 2 year course at askham bryan college
studying machine maintainence and dairy husbandy
i was just passing time till i was 21 and able to take my psv :smiley:
(i know i could have taken it at 18 but did not want to be on a limited run)
jon

jon boy 100:
just started a 2 year course at askham bryan college

I’d was there 3 years previous (1984/5). Small world.