Italian Truckers Declare Force Majeure halting deliveries

Macski:

Carryfast:

Macski:
Shifting goods by railway is only economical either in bulk or long distances. It does not make sense to collect goods from say the South East, bring it to a train distribution depot, unload the goods onto a train, bring it to Manchester then having to distribute the goods regionally

Did they not try having intermodal trains to Glasgow using euro tunnel type trains form the South East in the late 90s but the experiment failed , (might be wrong but sure it was tryed)

The South East to Manchester fits the definition of ‘long distance’.
Government policy is for such freight journeys to be carried out by intermodal rail freight wherever possible and it’s going to apply punitive measures against road transport to enforce it.
Which obviously includes road fuel pricing v red diesel use for trains.
It’s all there in the plan for rail and in the example of Tesco trunking operations being moved from road to rail.
Euroland is now moving towards a similar policy.

It might be a government defenition but this does not make distribution of goods efficient and if you make delivery of goods more expensive then you will get price increases, neither will it cut the need for truck in any significant way

As the Tesco operation has shown using rail freight is efficient enough and economies of scale combined with red v white diesel the choice in terms of costs is a no brainer.
As for cutting the use of trucks the same amount of trailers as before but only needing to be moved 20 miles instead of 200 miles is a 10x reduction in the ‘need’ for trucks.Its obvious that drivers will then face a 10x reduction in the driving role to be replaced by ‘other duties’ ( like warehouse work).
The idea of calling stated government policy force majeure is laughable.It’s also obvious that anyone involved in such short haul work isn’t going to be bothered about road fuel costs.
The wholesale increase in pre tax fuel costs is way less than duty + carbon tax + VAT the end consumer just isn’t going to pay it and the anti road transport governments know it.
The road transport industry as we know it won’t exist under the plan for rail.It will be more reminiscent of the 1920s.Local rail freight delivery collections based.
The only problem for the government then being the loss of fuel tax revenues which will obviously have to be reallocated to road pricing to get the money back.But trucks won’t be doing enough tonne miles to earn it because the train is doing almost all of the miles in a freight journey using untaxed fuel.

I’ve never unloaded onto a train, nor have I ever loaded from a train yet I still carry tat from Lands End to John O Groats.

Trouble is, Carryfast may have details wrong, but he has a point.

We are being made to pay punitive charges to use our low emission vehicles in the interests of Climate change- which will happen anyway.

These taxes are justified by telling us how serious it all is.

And yet… Billionaires continue to fly in their private jets unsullied by these dreadful climatic catastrophes that await us. Thousands and thousands of aeroplanes continue to fly daily pumping out huge amounts of pollution. If the climatic situation was as do or die as they say, all aircraft should be grounded permanently, we should all stop travelling anywhere we cant go on our two legs and embrace the changes.

It’s funny how only some things are important for preventing climatic disaster but others arent. Curiously, all the ones that are involve taxing us…

I’m sceptical about climate change. At least, it certainly does change. But I think it highly unlikely anything we do will stop it. And removing diesel and petrol cars whilst air travel contiinues unabated is certainly not going to make any difference.

In short the climate crisis isnt scientifically driven. It’s accountant driven. £££££££

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Macski:

Lucy:
“Vehicles used on railways” keep the right to use rebated fuel after 1st April.
CLICKY

(I’ve just written a feature on this very subject… :wink: )

I don’t understand why this will make a difference as railways were already allowed to run red diesel and road vehicles were not?

This rule will hit farmers more then hauliers

or am I wrong and missing something?

Farmers are one of the groups NOT affected, along with horticulture, fisheries and forestry.

Fridge trailers are the big one. I’ve spoken to a couple of guys with fleets in the 20-30 truck range, both of whom say they’re looking at an extra £2,000 a week to run them on DERV. Then there are all the forklifts (including Moffetts), container stackers, waste handling equipment, plant of all kinds, etc etc etc

Yes genuinely don’t understand the logic of removing rebated fuel use for fridge engines.

That’s a lot of money added to the food supply chain bill overnight and guess which ultimately will be reflected in the prices of food on the shops

toonsy:
Yes genuinely don’t understand the logic of removing rebated fuel use for fridge engines.

That’s a lot of money added to the food supply chain bill overnight and guess which ultimately will be reflected in the prices of food on the shops

Yet another advantage for trains.They can run fridges on the electric generated by red diesel with their propulsion.
Also.bearing in mind that VAT on white diesel has to be passed on in supposedly non VAT rated items.
But the fact that road transport is protesting force majeure proves that fuel costs can’t be passed on and the customer isn’t prepared to pay them.The industry is being expected to swallow them.Which is obvious or the governments’ policies, of pricing trucks off the road in favour of rail, with fuel taxation wouldn’t work.

DGSA2:
Most locomotive engines use the things above or beneath the tracks. It is called electricity. The big problem to solve is how to store the electricity. I suspect your Big Brain Carryfast cannot understand my point.

Why don’t they make cars like trolley-busses with wires running above and really long poles? Elon Musk wants to build thousands of parallel and cris-crossing individual tunnels and his retarded ideas are getting state and federal funding surely we can come up with an even more retared idea?

Climate change is a big racket , it is going to change anyway it has been changing one way or another since earth was created .I do like the clean air that has been created but is spoiled by the use of filthy log burners and yes bio plants that burn wood that comes here from across the world.If Elon,Branson and his mates were stopped from going in to space on jollys and no cars were allowed engines of no more than 1.5 ltr ,along with cruse ships errr not cruse ships I may listen to their rubbish. while I am at it GVW have gone up but the advantage lost because the trucks are to heavy .I think Carryfast makes sence

Carryfast:
As the Tesco operation has shown using rail freight is efficient enough and economies of scale combined with red v white diesel the choice in terms of costs is a no brainer.
As for cutting the use of trucks the same amount of trailers as before but only needing to be moved 20 miles instead of 200 miles is a 10x reduction in the ‘need’ for trucks.Its obvious that drivers will then face a 10x reduction in the driving role to be replaced by ‘other duties’ ( like warehouse work).

So there be a rail freight terminal every 40 miles, how will that work were there ae no railway lines, how will trains get to these parts?

Lucy:
Farmers are one of the groups NOT affected, along with horticulture, fisheries and forestry.

OK, misunderstood the red deisel rules, was a farmer on TV saying how much extra the ban of red deisel will cost him.

Truckulent:
And yet… Billionaires continue to fly in their private jets unsullied by these dreadful climatic catastrophes that await us. Thousands and thousands of aeroplanes continue to fly daily pumping out huge amounts of pollution. If the climatic situation was as do or die as they say, all aircraft should be grounded permanently, we should all stop travelling anywhere we cant go on our two legs and embrace the changes.

This is something I whinged on about a lot over the years, it is OK for some people travel in privet jets, go to work in a helicopter, have huge super boats and drive around in gas guzzeling Range Rovers, Bentleys and Ferraris yet others get charged ULEZ because they have a older Fiesta and £600 road tax if they have a older larger car.

Macski:
This is something I whinged on about a lot over the years, it is OK for some people travel in privet jets, go to work in a helicopter, have huge super boats and drive around in gas guzzeling Range Rovers, Bentleys and Ferraris yet others get charged ULEZ because they have a older Fiesta and £600 road tax if they have a older larger car.

You think billionaires don’t pay the same or higher taxes and fees than us - of course they do :slight_smile: I remember B. Gates being confronted once about his plane he answered something along the lines of well I invest every year so and so many millions into these carbon recycling companies so effectively I’m offsetting (by paying it off) my own carbon footprint. That’s the problem with placing a price on everything

ETS:

Macski:

You think billionaires don’t pay the same or higher taxes and fees than us - of course they do :slight_smile: I remember B. Gates being confronted once about his plane he answered something along the lines of well I invest every year so and so many millions into these carbon recycling companies so effectively I’m offsetting (by paying it off) my own carbon footprint. That’s the problem with placing a price on everything

You really don’t have a valid argument.

I don’t know about you but no one I know has a super yacht or flies in private jets.

Do billionaires pay same or higher tax rate, maybe but they also have advisors who limit their tax liabilities, shell companies and off shore accounts to launder their money legally and avoid tax. Itis often said these who are the riches pay less as a proportion of their wealth in tax then the person who cleans their office.

So what if Gates invests in carbon recycling companies■■? I once gave a £5 to a tree charity yet the government make me pay £280 a year road tax for my toy car I do 1500 miles in a year or less and their are these ULEZ appearing everywhere, parking charges coming up, road closures. My main car has a tax of £320 and again other charges may apply in order to try and force me out of it onto public transport.