It really gets my goat

newmercman:
Carryfast, They can’t pull a fuse as the limit is set in the ECM & the truck’s every movement is tracked by their satellite, this particular company uses the Qualcomm (satellite) for their logs too, you can’t get around them without discovery (until an Irishman gets his hands on one anyway :open_mouth: )

Even the Irish probably have’nt got an answer to star wars technology being used against drivers :open_mouth: :open_mouth:.I think even the digi tachos were enough to stop them.But if you’re an owner driver then maybe you could use the fifth amendment to set the ECM at 100 mph and it should be an infringement under that to be tracked by sattelite as well if you don’t choose to be.So at least if you’ve got one owner driver who thinks like me (fuel who cares) and one who thinks like you that should solve the speed differential issues just so long as the radar and laser detectors and the CB are all working :laughing: :laughing:

Driveroneuk:

newmercman:
I agree with you both, it’s madness, why does everybody have to be in front, we’re not Italian FFS, if it takes 15mins to gradually catch somebody up to the point where you’re so close you need to go around them then it stands to reason that it’ll take that same 15mins to pass them & get in front, 15mins to get 25 meters further up the road, WTF is the point of that? It used to be that the older drivers were just not used to speed limiters, now there are probably more drivers who have never driven a lorry without a limiter so that doesn’t apply anymore.

I know some of you will knock off the cruise or back off to allow the clown holding everybody up to pass you, forget for a moment that the clown behind him will then do the same, and think about that, yes the driver being ‘passed’ is being polite & considerate to other road users, but it’s not his job to make sure the overtaker can complete his manouver, the ‘overtaker’ is just being a bully if he expects that, or a total [zb] if he does it in the hope that he can pass you when you catch something up, in my book that is cutting you up, not exactly professional is it, it ■■■■■■ lorry drivers off, it ■■■■■■ car drivers off & it leads to overtaking bans, so thanks lads, [zb] :imp:

HIghway code rule 168

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

whiter than whit ebrigade popping out here

newmercman:
Carryfast, he gradually crept up on me, I passed him at the Westgate on the Ohio turnpike, as I said I was empty, I never saw him again for 200miles when he kept getting closer & closer, from the time I first spotted him in the mirrors to the time he pulled out was about 20mins, as I said my cruise was set at 65mph, his max was the same, but as you get a slight difference in 90kmh limited trucks here, the same factors will apply over there, tyre wear for example. They can’t pull a fuse as the limit is set in the ECM & the truck’s every movement is tracked by their satellite, this particular company uses the Qualcomm (satellite) for their logs too, you can’t get around them without discovery (until an Irishman gets his hands on one anyway :open_mouth: ) Anyway the whole situation would’ve been avoided if 1, he had an ounce of common sense or 2, had called me up & said something along the lines of ‘hey driver, I’m creeping up on you but only just, would you back off for a minute & let me past?’ I would’ve done just that, but I got a mouthful from him instead, so I [zb]ed him about, when confronted by somebody mouthing off & telling me over the radio that he’s gonna kick my arse I offer them the opportunity to do so, now please understand, I’m no thug & haven’t had a punch up for many years, I don’t instigate this behaviour, but I don’t run away either, pulling across the Interstate to stop the bloke & drag him out of his cab to give him a sound thrashing seemed a bit extreme so I tormented him instead, now I know two wrongs don’t make a right, but I’m going to hell anyway, had my place booked for years, so I really don’t care :wink:

You’re right about the limiters, that’s Ontario for you, but the province is being taken to court, the limiter is against the rules of the NAFTA agreement, anybody going there has to have a limiter, that interferes with Interstate Commerce & that’s illegal. Even if it passes on to the whole of North America I don’t care, I’ll be an Owner Operator by then & buying my own fuel, the only time my truck will be going over 60mph will be downhill & no limiter will stop that happening :laughing:

stag10:

newmercman:
Carryfast, he gradually crept up on me, I passed him at the Westgate on the Ohio turnpike, as I said I was empty, I never saw him again for 200miles when he kept getting closer & closer, from the time I first spotted him in the mirrors to the time he pulled out was about 20mins, as I said my cruise was set at 65mph, his max was the same, but as you get a slight difference in 90kmh limited trucks here, the same factors will apply over there, tyre wear for example. They can’t pull a fuse as the limit is set in the ECM & the truck’s every movement is tracked by their satellite, this particular company uses the Qualcomm (satellite) for their logs too, you can’t get around them without discovery (until an Irishman gets his hands on one anyway :open_mouth: ) Anyway the whole situation would’ve been avoided if 1, he had an ounce of common sense or 2, had called me up & said something along the lines of ‘hey driver, I’m creeping up on you but only just, would you back off for a minute & let me past?’ I would’ve done just that, but I got a mouthful from him instead, so I [zb]ed him about, when confronted by somebody mouthing off & telling me over the radio that he’s gonna kick my arse I offer them the opportunity to do so, now please understand, I’m no thug & haven’t had a punch up for many years, I don’t instigate this behaviour, but I don’t run away either, pulling across the Interstate to stop the bloke & drag him out of his cab to give him a sound thrashing seemed a bit extreme so I tormented him instead, now I know two wrongs don’t make a right, but I’m going to hell anyway, had my place booked for years, so I really don’t care :wink:

You’re right about the limiters, that’s Ontario for you, but the province is being taken to court, the limiter is against the rules of the NAFTA agreement, anybody going there has to have a limiter, that interferes with Interstate Commerce & that’s illegal. Even if it passes on to the whole of North America I don’t care, I’ll be an Owner Operator by then & buying my own fuel, the only time my truck will be going over 60mph will be downhill & no limiter will stop that happening :laughing:

nearly past now if only he would shut up

stag10:
nearly past now if only he would shut up

Now that’s funny, original use of sarcasm too, very good, made me chuckle did that, mind you I can’t understand why, it’s not like I’m opinionated or anything :wink:

I only do 50 on duals, even the trollley wallies overtake me.

You, opinionated?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

I seem to recall getting alongside a certain Black Pete and wondering if the driver would start doing these antics, but the driver was on the phone so couldn’t drink his coffee, smoke his peace pipe and switch the cruise up at the same time…

bobthedog:
You, opinionated?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

I seem to recall getting alongside a certain Black Pete and wondering if the driver would start doing these antics, but the driver was on the phone so couldn’t drink his coffee, smoke his peace pipe and switch the cruise up at the same time…

You snuck up on me, it won’t happen twice :laughing:

Do I detect a possible wager here??

bobthedog:
Do I detect a possible wager here??

Remember that you go to Ontario, I don’t, my needle still goes right round to the triple digits :open_mouth: :laughing:

But is the driver quality there?? :laughing: :laughing:

After all, I managed to sneak up on you one time and the mighty red Pete is hard to miss…lol

Adam_Mc:
I just don’t slow down at all…if a truck is unable to overtake then unlucky fresher. I’ve had many a time when a truck has been sat beside me and eventually he’s dropped back…and before many of you start moaning, I’ve worn the shoe/boot on the other foot and been unable to overtake somebody before…My attitude is if you can’t overtake, then don’t.

Yes, mine too. Anything else makes driving too much effort…you might as well work for a living :smiley: :smiley:

gogzy:

Don’t shoot the messenger. I didn’t write the rules, simply pointing out what they say.

Before overtaking you should make sure
the road is sufficiently clear ahead
road users are not beginning to overtake you
there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

This is the bit that all the " got to overtake everything in front" merchants should read…■■■■■■■■

Driveroneuk:

gogzy:

Don’t shoot the messenger. I didn’t write the rules, simply pointing out what they say.

yea but your getting on at newmercman for what he did, i would have done exactly the same thing if i was getting that abuse from him, i rarely slow down for other trucks unless im working at tescos where ive got all the time in the world and let them get on their way. i dont even pull into lane 2 to let cars out the sliproad…their in a car capable of more than 55 so if you cant do more than that to join a motorway thats not my problem

gogzy:

Driveroneuk:

gogzy:

yea but your getting on at newmercman for what he did, i would have done exactly the same thing if i was getting that abuse from him, i rarely slow down for other trucks unless im working at tescos where ive got all the time in the world and let them get on their way. i dont even pull into lane 2 to let cars out the sliproad…their in a car capable of more than 55 so if you cant do more than that to join a motorway thats not my problem

Thanks gogzy, right there’s two of us now, who want’s some :laughing: :laughing:

Oi!! Three if you don’t mind! :wink:

Four.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: