IS THIS AN INFRINGEMENT?

OTTS:

DonutUK:

Sam Millar:

DonutUK:
This is precisely the sort of error the DCPC was designed to cut out.

Like it or loathe it, if the driver has done a module on drivers hours, there should be NO confusion over something as basic as the break requirements…it really doesn’t get much simpler.

The fact it was a digital tachograph is irrelevant, as the same rules apply to analogue as well…

Ignorance of the law is often no defence. That said, it would be harsh for VOSA to fine a newly qualified driver, but not unheard of.

Maybe I’m mistaken but I don’t think I read that he took a DCPC course on drivers hours?

Hence the use of the conditional “if” in my second sentence. I have no idea whether the OP did a course on drivers hours, i merely remarked that IF they had, then there should really be no confusion over the requirements.

Hope this helps.

I didnt do any CPC as I passed my car test in 1988 in the Army. As I said earlier, I think It unwise to allow someone such as me to drive a rigid without having a real understanding of the drivers hours. The stuff you do in the theory test just isnt inappropriate. That said, I have now got myself genned up and im gonna record my hours on a stopwatch. Knowledge is Power.

And it didn’t occur to you to get “genned up” before going out and driving?

Why is it always someone else’s fault when inexperienced drivers make simple, basic mistakes such as this? Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?

You want to drive LGV’s, you put the effort in to learn the regulations that accompany them. Is it really that hard?

As for monitoring hours on digi tachs, most vehicles that have a digi tach, have a method of displaying driving hours on the dash, so not really that hard to keep an eye on.
Or if you have an Android phone, get the Trucker Timer app, worth every penny. Providing you remember to start and stop it correctly!

What did we do before digi tachs and phone apps…oh yeah, we used a stopwatch! Well, i did at least, worked just fine, providing i remembered to start and stop it!

Dont say anything when you get tugged, let them find it, if they mention it tell them you had a high value load on, normally works.

O’Reilly:
Dont say anything when you get tugged, let them find it, if they mention it tell them you had a high value load on, normally works.

What difference would the value of the load make, the VOSA bod would simply say “you had 41 minutes so how did a high value load stop you from having another 4 minutes”.

I would simply explain that your new and got confused when you realised you’d made a mistake, then hope the examiner is in a good mood :wink:

tachograph:
I would simply explain that your new and got confused when you realised you’d made a mistake, then hope the examiner is in a good mood :wink:

That would be my advice too. I’ve been stopped probably a dozen times by VOSA over the years and they always find some small infringement or another but they generally seem to be looking out for people who drive a horse and carriage through the law, rather than those who make a minor mistake once in a while.

tachograph:

O’Reilly:

What difference would the value of the load make, the VOSA bod would simply say “you had 41 minutes so how did a high value load stop you from having another 4 minutes”.

Ahh yeah good point, well i’d stick with the same story and just say you had to cut it short because the hedge faggots kept hassling for diesel, they’ll be fine with it.

A dcpc module on drivers hours doesnt cover the use of digi tachos .

A bit of a sweeping statement m’thinks. I’m very well aware of one module that does and I don’t know of any that dont.

Suggest questions are asked before modules are booked to ensure they are appropriate.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing: