Is this a joke? Job advert

Time and a half after 8 hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=1 … 277f6b99df

£8.84 per hour. Form an orderly queue please, no pushing.

mrginge:
2am start is not a night shift, it’s a [zb] day shift.

And this is what is wrong with the job, among many other things. I work nights,6pm start, and the amount of day driverswho are starting at midnight, 1am,2am is stupid, especially when they turn around and say you wouldnt catch me working nights` WTF

Nite Owl:
£8.84 per hour. Form an orderly queue please, no pushing.

A quick Google search brought up interesting background on Nigel Rice Transport including what appears to be another “go bust, owe loads and family member creates convenient new company” routine.

commercialmotor.com/news/ni … failed-cva

Might explain why they pay so little even for Hull. God knows why you need nights out (unpaid?) for delivering to HU postcodes.

Ive always thought any of the hours between 11pm and 6am was considered as nightwork regardless if you do all of them hours or just start within them hours?

The job advert does state its based on a 48 hour week…so obviously more money if it goes over…plus the nights out ( if there are any )dont seem so bad considering i have seen many ads for Class 1 at around £8 odd per hour.

Trickydick:
Ive always thought any of the hours between 11pm and 6am was considered as nightwork regardless if you do all of them hours or just start within them hours?

Night work hours are 00.01 to 04:00, if your shift starts or finishes between or your shift runs through these hours it’s classed as a night shift.

Grumpy Dad:
Night work hours are 00.01 to 04:00, if your shift starts or finishes between or your shift runs through these hours it’s classed as a night shift.

That’s one definition (and is the one used for WTD purposes for goods vehicle drivers) but there are others.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Grumpy Dad:

That’s one definition (and is the one used for WTD purposes for goods vehicle drivers) but there are others.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It may be used for WTD as well, but those are the hours that are classed as night work for a driver HGV, if you’re PSV then it’s 01:00 - 05:00

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … -rules.pdf

Scroll down to 6

Where I work night money from 18.00-06.00 but its only a extra £1hr

My point being that it’s simply a WTD definition for WTD purposes (and it applies only to goods vehicle drivers). There is no reason at all to use it for pay rate purposes (other than maybe for the convenience of HR dept staff). WTD (quite rightly) makes no reference at all to enhanced pay rates.

Being a driver we are slightly discriminated against through the night working hours regulation, albeit an opt out regulation ( favouring the majority ), if a driver adheres to the regulation then he/she cannot work no more than 10 hours, if the shift starts, ends or works through the hours of 00:01 - 04:00.
If you’re a warehouse op for example, the rules are very different, night shift hours a a 6 hour period from 23:00 - 05:00 ( though this may be altered an hour either way through a mutual agreement between management and staff ie 22:00 - 04:00 ) and no worker completing a night shift can work longer than 8hrs.

What IS the pay gap between north and south these days?

Tees-Ex Line? Watford Gap? Leeds and northwards?

I dunno where the boundary happens to be, but surely we should be comparing like-for-like jobs by this point - to get a better idea of pay differentials for doing the same job a the same firm but at different locations…

Example:

Pay rates at F&W Teynham, Kent compared to say, Heywood or Spalding depots?
Pay rates at Supermarkets under a different contract, eg. K&N, Stobarts, or Wincanton

Looking at this job for where it happens to be - “West Midlands” - I’d have to argue that it is "Good pay for Scotland, Mediocre pay for North England, below par for West Midlands, and Crap pay for South of Watford Gap.
Overall then “Underwhelming”.

Answers on a postcard please as to what the other rates are for the above examples… I’m working at a supermarket in the south of England these days, and the pay consider to be “going rate” for around here.
£12ph days, £14ph weekday nights, £15ph Saturdays, £18ph sundays.
I think Asda are paying more - but the shifts are not what I’d want them to be - less flexibility.
The same applies to Morrisons, who only offered me 14:00 or 02:00 start times. “Day rate or Lates Rate” - Averages out the same as what I’m on at Waitrose BUT I’d be forced to work early turn sometimes at Asda or Morrisons. No thanks!
I’m also making enquiries as to what the GIST contract package consists of out of Oare, Faversham, Kent.

It is one thing to chase the improving going rates in this business - but chasing the plum jobs and plum regular shift patters - is quite another.

For me, the money doesn’t necessarily need to be “more” - it just needs to be “enough”.
I’m already out of RM for example, where it was a better hourly rate, but harsher “Big Brother” regime there where ex-drivers now as acting managers “watch you like hawks” as “Poachers-■■■-gamekeepers” by their own admission. That’s Stressful for people the wrong side of 50 like me, and they don’t even have the honesty to tell you when you’re sacked or not.

All these different factors - feed into what makes a good job or not then.

My ideal shifts would be 19:30-07:30 Sunday to Wednesday every week. 48 hour week, four shifts per week where I clear at least £500. It IS out there, but not exactly the shifts I want every week at present.

I wonder what will happen when Double Decker drivers decide they’ve had enough of “not being paid extra” for the extra responsibility, like with ADR or HIAB ticket holders? :confused:

Winseer:
What IS the pay gap between north and south these days?

Tees-Ex Line? Watford Gap? Leeds and northwards?

I dunno where the boundary happens to be, but surely we should be comparing like-for-like jobs by this point - to get a better idea of pay differentials for doing the same job a the same firm but at different locations…

Example:

Pay rates at F&W Teynham, Kent compared to say, Heywood or Spalding depots?
Pay rates at Supermarkets under a different contract, eg. K&N, Stobarts, or Wincanton

Looking at this job for where it happens to be - “West Midlands” - I’d have to argue that it is "Good pay for Scotland, Mediocre pay for North England, below par for West Midlands, and Crap pay for South of Watford Gap.
Overall then “Underwhelming”.

Answers on a postcard please as to what the other rates are for the above examples… I’m working at a supermarket in the south of England these days, and the pay consider to be “going rate” for around here.
£12ph days, £14ph weekday nights, £15ph Saturdays, £18ph sundays.
I think Asda are paying more - but the shifts are not what I’d want them to be - less flexibility.
The same applies to Morrisons, who only offered me 14:00 or 02:00 start times. “Day rate or Lates Rate” - Averages out the same as what I’m on at Waitrose BUT I’d be forced to work early turn sometimes at Asda or Morrisons. No thanks!
I’m also making enquiries as to what the GIST contract package consists of out of Oare, Faversham, Kent.

It is one thing to chase the improving going rates in this business - but chasing the plum jobs and plum regular shift patters - is quite another.

For me, the money doesn’t necessarily need to be “more” - it just needs to be “enough”.
I’m already out of RM for example, where it was a better hourly rate, but harsher “Big Brother” regime there where ex-drivers now as acting managers “watch you like hawks” as “Poachers-■■■-gamekeepers” by their own admission. That’s Stressful for people the wrong side of 50 like me, and they don’t even have the honesty to tell you when you’re sacked or not.

All these different factors - feed into what makes a good job or not then.

My ideal shifts would be 19:30-07:30 Sunday to Wednesday every week. 48 hour week, four shifts per week where I clear at least £500. It IS out there, but not exactly the shifts I want every week at present.

I wonder what will happen when Double Decker drivers decide they’ve had enough of “not being paid extra” for the extra responsibility, like with ADR or HIAB ticket holders? :confused:

A certain well known pizza company,
Class 1 multidrop based out of milton Keynes, 43k.
Exact same job, same hours conditions and workload, based out of Warrington, 33k…
They claimed it was due to the higher living cost down south but then it came out that they were paying 43k at the old Penrith depot which is now closed.
Cue a workforce on the verge of walking out, and directors in talks with ACAS

Class 2 ADR through agency at Bradford and Normanton. £9 per hour. Disgusting.

Jimmy McNulty:
Class 2 ADR through agency at Bradford and Normanton. £9 per hour. Disgusting.

I’ll stick to my minimum wage agency warehouse work thank you, home every night, no stress, no undoing curtains in bad weather, work the days I want to work, do an odd shift for my mate taking a trailer to the docks.

The trouble is that you can’t just compare hourly rates. Do you get paid through breaks, do you get parking paid, any meal allowances. Besides overtime Saturday and double Sunday, we paid a guaranteed number of hours even if you only did one hour.

Does this trip your trigger then ?

Work 70 hrs a week (can do that in 5 and a bit days) then you only need to take 34 hrs off ( just a couple of hrs short of a day and a half people) and no overtime, your paid by the mile at the same rate for your last hr as your first.

Oh and no night out money and nothing extra for weekends or bank holidays.

Plenty of jobs over here like that if it floats your boat :wink: :wink:

albion:
The trouble is that you can’t just compare hourly rates. Do you get paid through breaks, do you get parking paid, any meal allowances. Besides overtime Saturday and double Sunday, we paid a guaranteed number of hours even if you only did one hour.

Yes, I’m finding that the actual work regime can more than make up for a less than top-dollar hourly rate.

I don’t usually get paid for breaks, but I don’t have to do nights out. Guaranteed hourage but rarely getting to “making time” as such.
I’ve not been forced to take a shift I didn’t want to yet. I’m a 100% PM starts guy. The last am shift I did was the assessment and induction, which was paid as well. :slight_smile:

Grumpy Dad:
Being a driver we are slightly discriminated against through the night working hours regulation, albeit an opt out regulation ( favouring the majority ), if a driver adheres to the regulation then he/she cannot work no more than 10 hours, if the shift starts, ends or works through the hours of 00:01 - 04:00.
If you’re a warehouse op for example, the rules are very different, night shift hours a a 6 hour period from 23:00 - 05:00 ( though this may be altered an hour either way through a mutual agreement between management and staff ie 22:00 - 04:00 ) and no worker completing a night shift can work longer than 8hrs.

All true enough - but has NOTHING to do with pay rates for nightshift working. There is no link at all between WTD limits and enhanced rates.