Is there agency work?

Not as busy work wise where I am, my usual company aren’t back fully until next week but I’ve still been working as much as I want. Having to turn down shifts as well. Guess it depends greatly where you are in the country

Perhaps it is the “Professional” agency worker - that is now at risk?

In the good old days, there would always be some work, somewhere to keep an income @ agency going.

In these days of “in-house agecies” though, if you get let down for work at the main client of said agency - they don’t have any other work for you anywhere else, and hence income goes to zero.

At times like these “zero income” is a big no-no, so the future agency sign-up will likely be a person who’s already got the proverbial “day job”, but can spare a shift or two at a suitably premium rate at an agency. They won’t be desperate for that work, as they already have a contracted income elsewhere.

So… “Professsional” - defined as “must have a full time set of hours every week without fail” - I think will disappear over the coming year.
Each time a recruitment drive is made - any would-be employer, mainstream or agency - takes a chance on the newbie that they won’t screw things up so badly, that the agency then loses the client’s contract to supply them block amounts of drivers…

First the “six points ok” becomes “nine points ok”, by which point the only drivers left that will work for crappy low rates for agencies that only have last-minute shifts at far-away yards - will be 10 or 11 points, hardly any english, and with other social disorders as well, such as being “Emperor Ming” at the workplace, if you catch my drift…
Not every such person so much “looks” like Catweazle - but there are plenty that whiff of our open fields right now…

Agencies that ONLY have “block book” for a single client - will simply not last this year out. They have to win new client business, and diversify - or those few drivers left, will simply walk, not satisfied at the poor Christmas premium coming up for this coming Christmas…

dozy:
I must get a more local job as I went home in the week last week as won’t stay at depot as they won’t pay night out , and with traffic it took me 1 1/2 hrs to get home , then 1 1/4 to get back in morn

So it probably cost you more in fuel and time to go home than you would’ve earn in subsistence money

Who wants to end up “Paying to go to work”?

Transport industry workers - don’t get to claim “expenses”. Our elites meanwhile, can claim for everything, including non-necessary items like fitted kitchens, and overpriced luxuries like NOT the cheapest cars, etc.

A wider “Poverty Gap” is opening up across ALL industries now.

A job will need to see a marked pay rise before Sunak’s anticipated higher taxes come in - just for the hapless worker to stand still.
The alternative? - Play low-field, and jump the other way… That would mean more worker demand for LOWER paid work if you think about it…
If work is to deliberately be chased for being lower paid - then the last thing that chaser will want - is an 84 hour week doing that particular job for that particular amoung of wages. Right?

I reckon we’ll see more people IN work over the following year - but less people working over 48 hours than ever seen to date. It was supposedly the WTD maximum that never got enforced before, anyways - wasn’t it?

bonus schemes huff! knew a guy that always got best fuel milage, his trick was spend 30 pound a month on diesel put some in weekly ,and bobs your uncle 100 pound bonus monthly paid.lol…i was more interested in white diesel used in plant cough cough

JIMBO47:
bonus schemes huff! knew a guy that always got best fuel milage, his trick was spend 30 pound a month on diesel put some in weekly ,and bobs your uncle 100 pound bonus monthly paid.lol…i was more interested in white diesel used in plant cough cough

I knew someone who had a company 141…to keep the mpg down, so he could keep it…You guessed it…
Nice enough bloke but, 'kin’ell

peirre:

dozy:
I must get a more local job as I went home in the week last week as won’t stay at depot as they won’t pay night out , and with traffic it took me 1 1/2 hrs to get home , then 1 1/4 to get back in morn

So it probably cost you more in fuel and time to go home than you would’ve earn in subsistence money

No doubt , but I’ve never been any different , if there’s a opportunity to go home I will , family is far more important than money , and you could apply that to extra shifts , I’d much rather be at home sat / sun than at work earning , though I must admit I do seem in the minority in that , even if I don’t get home on fri night I will only do a few hours running in not a full shift , seeing family / rovers is far more important than £££

Moy Park are so my mate says are after drivers , and money has gone up so he says , I’ve put in for it but want 3/4 days not 5 so see what they say