Is there a need for a trimming down within the industry

All it needs is for theUK hauliers being given the chance to compete on equal terms with those from Europe.

• Cabotage laws repealed

• International permits reinstated

• Essential user fuel rebates for hauliers

These should even up the playing field a little :wink:

Rikki-UK:

All it needs is for theUK hauliers being given the chance to compete on equal terms with those from Europe.

• Cabotage laws repealed

• International permits reinstated

• Essential user fuel rebates for hauliers

These should even up the playing field a little :wink:

Absolutely! So we should bang this drum loudly towards the upcoming election.

CM wrote:

Absolutely! So we should bang this drum loudly towards the upcoming election.

or pay attention to who is funding who.

excuse my ignorance, but what are your cabotage laws? I know what cabotage is but more specifically, what is the situation? over here we have a minor issue with licensing. Companies are supposed to get their number plates from their home state; however, through some glitch in the law, trucking companies are using third party registration offices to gain out of state addresses so that they can be licensed in less expensive states. Meaning an arkansas based carrier can avoid the steep arkansas registration fees and get their trucks registered in el cheapo oklahoma. Is this the sort of thing that is being referred to? I’ve heard that a certain european company likes to do this sort of thing. Or are you complaing, very justifiably mind you, about foreign drivers doing intra uk work?

yep

Cabotage transport is defined as transport taking place on
the territory of a country but performed by hauliers
registered in another country.
Initially, the possibility of undertaking cabotage was
outlined in Council Regulation (EEC) 3118/93 “laying down
the conditions under which non-resident carriers may
operate national road-haulage services within a Member
State”.