Is it okay to be crap if you are an agency driver?

IronEddie:

sammym:
Couldn’t be a worst day.

Was late as i went to wrong place.

Then I drove down the yard with my doors open. And I forgot to put my tacho card in.

And I’ve realised I can’t reverse. LIke seriously can any reverse. The artic boys make it look so easy and im all wonky once my bay at this rdc.

And then the crash. They gave me a brand new truck with just 3000 on it. And I’ve messed it up.

I’m not cut out for this. You lads have my respect but this will be My last shift.

How bad a crash? I’ve had a knock or two already. And my reversing is [zb] lol it’s just practice mate. Tomorrow is a new day.

On break now.

It’s not too bad on my truck. But has slightly cut the curtain and severed the cable for the taillift. Other truck had broken window on drivers side.

No excuses. But it wasn’t delivering to Meadowhall. It’s tight and there were pallets everywhere. At abc rdc now on break and it’s a lot easier to reverse here cos there is so much space.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sammym:

IronEddie:

sammym:
Couldn’t be a worst day.

Then I drove down the yard with my doors open. And I forgot to put my tacho card in.

And I’ve realised I can’t reverse. LIke seriously can any reverse. The artic boys make it look so easy and im all wonky once my bay at this rdc.

And then the crash. They gave me a brand new truck with just 3000 on it. And I’ve messed it up.

I’m not cut out for this. You lads have my respect but this will be My last shift.

How bad a crash? I’ve had a knock or two already. And my reversing is [zb] lol it’s just practice mate. Tomorrow is a new day.

On break now.

It’s not too bad on my truck. But has slightly cut the curtain and severed the cable for the taillift. Other truck had broken window on drivers side.

No excuses. But it wasn’t delivering to Meadowhall. It’s tight and there were pallets everywhere. At abc rdc now on break and it’s a lot easier to reverse here cos there is so much space.

I caught a trailer and dragged it around trying to reverse into a school in this little village. ■■■■ happens. Brush it off and learn from it is my attitude.

sammym:
Couldn’t be a worst day.

youtu.be/j9TX9syyqnc

sammym:
You lads have my respect but this will be My last POST.

That is how a true troll flounces off. :laughing:

sammym:

IronEddie:

sammym:
Couldn’t be a worst day.

On break now.

Sorry to hear that you are not having a good day, now you know why most places want drivers with experience !

but chalk it off and just get on with it, my very first shift was also a complete and utter nightmare and i still shudder about it and that was 20 years ago !! :open_mouth:

we all have bad days no matter how long you have been doing the job but it is how you deal with them that makes the difference :wink:

sammym:
Couldn’t be a worst day.

FFS, man up and don’t be such a pansy.

■■■ happens. Bet you won’t do it again. See, you are now experienced! Dust yourself off and get back on the horse.

Maybe a bit of 7.5 while you find your feet?

I really dont believe i am reading this crap…it has to be a wind up right…all this bother…then a crash at the end of it…never in my career have i ever heard so much ■■■■■■■■…and a newbie that dont know a tacho from his arse…cant open a curtain…cant strap or secure a load…are you a child by any chance…i am just gobsmacked !!! and i would help anyone who needs it…but you also have to do your bit…Btw, how did you get on when training…didnt that truck have a tacho ■■..didnt the trainer ask you to reverse ■■..sorry…got go have a drink now.

sammym:
I start at 3.30am. And I’m not sure what sort of places are open at that sort of ungodly hour. Tbh I’m happy about this though as it means I will probably have little traffic on the road to find my feet so to speak. Certainly smaller supermarkets won’t be open. Maybe 24 hour ones. But my suspicion is that it might be me going to their big warehouses instead.

All I know about the truck is that it’s 18t. And they have a fleet of modern volvos. I am hoping that means it’s an auto. But if it’s 6 speed I’ll be fine.

All major supermarkets take deliveries 24hrs a day, even the ones which are closed on a night time. Basically haulage is a 24/7/365 industry and you’ll be surprised how many things are open for delivery that as a non-driver you thought were closed when you were asleep.

Don’t sweat it. There’s so many variations of gear change both on automatic and manual gearboxes, different mechanisms for opening the curtains, different types of tail lift, different types of controls on fridge trailers etc that even for an experienced driver who has been doing it years you can always come across something new so there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking. Nothing at all is standardised in this industry and it is always better to ask than not and look a ■■■.

truckyboy:
I really dont believe i am reading this crap…it has to be a wind up right…all this bother…then a crash at the end of it…never in my career have i ever heard so much [zb]…and a newbie that dont know a tacho from his arse…cant open a curtain…cant strap or secure a load…

I think your comment is completely unfair.

My lad passed his test last year. It opened my eyes to just how little a new driver knows and how scary it is for a newbie taking out something that actually has weight on and maneuvering/reversing in places far tighter than in your lessons and the test. Thinking back I was probably the same and so were you the first time or so you went out, its just that we’ve got years under our belt so forget that people just starting may not know how to do the basics. My lad was fortunate that he had his dad who is a driver with almost a quarter of a century of experience who he could ring, not everyone is as fortunate to.

What was frightening is that several of the people who he asked who were apparently experienced drivers seemed to not have a clue about drivers hours and had some seriously bad habits given what he told me they’d said to do when thankfully phoning me to double check because he didn’t think it sounded right.

There are reams and reams of trolling pis.h posts on this site and I rarely read beyond the third reply but you, my friend, have done a sterling job with this. 10/10 stuff here.

As a day one driver the questions you ask are totally plausible and you’ve even gone to the bother of setting it up properly with posts in the Newbie forum.

But the slapstick finalé gives the game away for me. The stunning coup de grâce revelation of dragging a trailer about a school in a quiet village.

Had me engrossed. Hat doffed, sir.

Just on days second 45. Had to handball I off two pallets once Nottingham cos forklift drivers went home. Should be done about 8ish.

Exhausted. And wondering if I’ll be paid for all these hours. I spent forever finding goods entrances. Couldn’t do this full time.

10 mins to go before I can drive home. Have to reverse out of this goods area though… not looking forward to that.

I’ll post taco printout later to prove this isn’t trolling.

It’s just an idiot who doesbt have a clue what’s he’s doing!!

sammym:
Just on days second 45. Had to handball I off two pallets once Nottingham cos forklift drivers went home. Should be done about 8ish.

Exhausted. And wondering if I’ll be paid for all these hours. I spent forever finding goods entrances. Couldn’t do this full time.

10 mins to go before I can drive home. Have to reverse out of this goods area though… not looking forward to that.

Didn’t you start at 03.30?

the nodding donkey:

sammym:

If he did then it’s game over in 15 mins , as it’s now 6:15pm

Telt:
There are reams and reams of trolling pis.h posts on this site and I rarely read beyond the third reply but you, my friend, have done a sterling job with this. 10/10 stuff here.

As a day one driver the questions you ask are totally plausible and you’ve even gone to the bother of setting it up properly with posts in the Newbie forum.

But the slapstick finalé gives the game away for me. The stunning coup de grâce revelation of dragging a trailer about a school in a quiet village.

Had me engrossed. Hat doffed, sir.

That was IronEddie recounting how he cocked up one day.

To be fair, this guy is giving me flashbacks to my first job. Thrown the keys and told to get on with it despite never being shown curtain straps, tail lifts, ratchet straps, etc. Paperwork thrust into my arms and told to hurry up because they have to get another lorry loaded.

The only experience he probably has of tacho is some guy talking at him for 7 hours. We all know that on the job training is well below what other industries offer, probably made worse by the amount of agency who flit from job to job. This thread is proof that something needs to be done.

blue estate:

the nodding donkey:

sammym:

If he did then it’s game over in 15 mins , as it’s now 6:15pm

Oh good God, I hope the OP put it on break whilst at these drops as that 10hr night rule must have gone out the window showing driving and other work :laughing:

Didn’t he say he was late?

An amateur newbie.
Who uses words like “handball”.
Knows nowt about tachos but will do a printout to show us what he’s been doing.
Tired exhausted and stressed. But posting for us all through his shift. Good to see his priorities are right!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

eagerbeaver:
And after some ’ careful ’ driving, this is how it all ended…

FFS EB, you rolled it over as well, job well done i say… :sunglasses::wink: