Internal straps on curtain sider

toonsy:
So glad I moved away from this rubbish and now pull fridges :laughing:

So glad I moved away from this rubbish and now pull tankers…:laughing:

You can not ratchet strap a 1000kg pallet of cardboard boxes of wine. So you “strap” it down with an internal… :unamused: :unamused: just to try and please the VOSA. Who will arbitrarily decide wether your load is adequately secured or not.

It’s also quite nice, not having to find somewhere to store a minimum of 13 ratchet straps… :grimacing:
Now, I shuts the valve, and puts a seal on the door. :sunglasses:

the nodding donkey:

toonsy:

You can not ratchet strap a 1000kg pallet of cardboard boxes of wine. So you “strap” it down with an internal… :unamused: :unamused: just to try and please the VOSA. Who will arbitrarily decide wether your load is adequately secured or not.

If it is not possible to strap down the pallet of wine other than with internals, then maybe DVSA will still do you because they will say it is the wrong type of trailer for that job and maybe you should be using a box trailer or such like.
I had this once when I picked up a full trailer alcopops, as i was throwing the ratchet straps over someone came out to me and said ‘‘what are you doing, can you use internals, you will damage the load’’ I told him the rules (400kg etc) and I said if he doesn’t want it damaging he should maybe put some pallets on top, he said we cant do that, anyway he let me crack on because it needed delivering…then when I had finished strapping it he wanted me to sign their paperwork which had a printed section on it that I had to sign to say I had secured the load…so that company don’t want you to secure the load properly but yet they will get drivers to sign that they have secured it properly. :confused:

the nodding donkey:
You can not ratchet strap a 1000kg pallet of cardboard boxes of wine. )

If you have Long and thick corner boards you can (and should)

Anyway: Strapping loads is not a priority In ‘bodge it Britain’.

No one cares in this country.

the nodding donkey:

toonsy:

It’s also quite nice, not having to find somewhere to store a minimum of 13 ratchet straps… :grimacing:

1,000kg pallets, suitably wrapped, in a Fridge/Box or an XL-Tautliner, no problem at all. Cross on the back and go.
Not got the correct trailer?

Evolved:
‘bodge it Britain’.
No one cares in this country.

Noremac:
So we are told, the non-load-bearing curtains are to keep out the wind and rain. The suspended straps really perform no useful function in terms of weight shifting forward or back, so are more to keep loads from going sideways and even then to a limited degree. For me strapping down cardboard boxes with light things in them with, for example ratchets, would be a largely pointless exercise.

Practically when I have done multi-drop, despite the load being sent out loaded correctly, I have found some pallets stay on due to lack of access etc. I have sometimes used a pallet truck to put the pallets I have towards the bulkhead so they are at least packed against each other and also to distribute weight better in terms of what side the weight is on. When there are internal straps, I use them regardless of whether I think they are useful or not. If stopped you are bound to be questioned why you haven’t used internals.

When it comes to ratchets, I have operated on the basis of what I feel needs ratcheted down usually with a view to making sure of a load not shifting forward or sideways. In terms of calculations, I, like probably 99.99% of drivers up and down the country, wouldn’t have a clue. If there is a special load, then this should be taken out of the driver’s hands because we are not qualified to deal with such things and it would be unfair to put that onus on us. If you are unsure about taking a load, say I am not sure about this load and am not willing to take it.

I find putting a couple of crossed internals across loads stop them going backwards ( or the loads I’ve pulled ) , never had a load go backwards , same if I had 3 rows of single stack palls that went to double stacked I’d put a couple of internals across / through the double stacked palls

the nodding donkey:
find somewhere to store a minimum of 13 ratchet straps… :grimacing:

Try hiding a dozen chains and thier ratchets :blush:

And straps. And rope. And covers. And my hatred for rain :laughing:

As said… nothing better than a nice box :wink:

If they changed the law so that load security was made joomg responsibility of the consignor like in some European countries I suspect a lot of these unsuitable loads/trailers with the “do your best” approach would soon vanish.

toonsy:
If they changed the law so that load security was made joomg responsibility of the consignor like in some European countries I suspect a lot of these unsuitable loads/trailers with the “do your best” approach would soon vanish.

Ssshhh!
More “Red Tape” we want to avoid innit?

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

toonsy:

1,000kg pallets, suitably wrapped, in a Fridge/Box or an XL-Tautliner, no problem at all. Cross on the back and go.

Yes, a box or fridge trailer would be the job. I’ve shifted more loads of boxed bottles of wine and beer than you have had hot dinners, and I’ve seen the “XL trailer, crossed at the back is fine” trailers in various yards and breweries. Curtains bulging, with half a load of shot/collapsed pallets. The load may not have fallen off, but it’s an unsafe load non the less.

You can not ratchet strap cardboard boxes with bottles in them, even with corner boards. The boxes do not have enough rigidity to prevent them collapsing.

Those who have done the job knows what it needs to secure it, unfortunately as long as the law is on the side of the bosses, companies will never be forced to invest in those trailers or restraint systems.

the nodding donkey:

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

toonsy:

Yes, a box or fridge trailer would be the job. I’ve shifted more loads of boxed bottles of wine and beer than you have had hot dinners, and I’ve seen the “XL trailer, crossed at the back is fine” trailers in various yards and breweries. Curtains bulging, with half a load of shot/collapsed pallets. The load may not have fallen off, but it’s an unsafe load non the less.

You can not ratchet strap cardboard boxes with bottles in them, even with corner boards. The boxes do not have enough rigidity to prevent them collapsing.

Those who have done the job knows what it needs to secure it, unfortunately as long as the law is on the side of the bosses, companies will never be forced to invest in those trailers or restraint systems.

If you drive a truck like a go-kart, those pallets will collapse in on themselves. Even if theyre in a box or fridge they will still need a shovel and broom to offload them. The 125 half-boxes of upright 75cl on a VMF, arent as stable as 49 or 56 boxes of 12 x 75cl laid flat, but given a sympathetic drive they will go the trip.

The way forward?.. go back in time and put the product in something which can be secured for travel.

indiamart.com/proddetail/wo … 67291.html

cav551:
The way forward?.. go back in time and put the product in something which can be secured for travel.

indiamart.com/proddetail/wo … 67291.html

This is how it should be!!! :laughing:

grumpybum:
IMO you should treat a curtain-sider like a flatbed with rain protection. Would you be happy not to strap your load onto a flatbed? Maybe I’m over cautious, but that would be my thinking.

How do you properly secure things like plastics for example, strap them securley and they break?

But curtins clearly are able to support loads to a degree and if loads are wrapped correctly they are unlikly to move.

Done very little flat bed work, but I remember being told how to rope and sheet and being told that the sheet is my primery restraint and I should not directly apply restraints to the goods, although that depended on what they are. Used to occasionally collect/deliver machines and would apply rope directly to them.