Inspirational transport names

As a kid I can remember travelling over the Pennines on the A62 with my brother in law in his O type Bedford, the rain was pouring down and we were behind a Peter Slater coal tipper (complete with greedy boards) with what seemed like a black stream running out of the back as we crawled up the hills. Jack Bradley’s of Accrington red International Loadstars always used to fascinate me as somebody told me that International Harvesters came from Canada and thoughts of the T.V. series Cannonball immediately sprang to my mind. Maybe that’s the reason why Slaters and Bradley’s wagons always seemed to stick out to me.
Years later when I was driving around the Midlands, Horace Kendrick’s tippers looked to me like they were one of the biggest things on the road at the time, once again they always seemed to have a set of greedy boards along the top and a cloud of ash would often blow off the top. Around the Cotswolds I was always on the look out for the orange Hoveringham’s tippers. In the sixties they used to employ local servicemen on casual work or holiday relief so many of the lads would book a weeks leave and go driving around the quarry’s for what was to them Mega Bucks. The Pressed Steel Fisher car transporters were always flying along The Fossway or the A44 between Swindon, Oxford, Coventry and Birmingham in great numbers day and night and it was always advisable to give them a wide berth. And I used to love seeing the Scottish companies many of whom had a band of their own tartan around the cab. You used to be able to spot the different companies from about a quarter of a mile away with hardly a white livery to be seen. :frowning:

Nellen & Quack. Bedworth haulage to name just a couple…

Used to see them all the time when i was a kid…

The name says it all A one transport.

Inspirational transport names…Well… Back in the early 70’s, there was an outfit from Bradford that called themselves Transflash Units. If I’d been living in Bradford at the time, I would probably have offered my services for free. That’s how much I was inspired.

Western Express Haulage and, Heavy Transport Co. always seemed impressive names. Most lorries on the A30 in the west, seemed to come from Fraddon or St Austell. The above, the various Grose firms, 2 or 3 I think. Richards & Osborne. Also in Devon/Somerset, Renwicks, Tone Vale. Taunton Meat Haulage.

Further east on the A30 in Hampshire, Samuel Williams of Dagenham Dock. Brain Haulage, Crow Carrying. London Carriers, United Carriers. Then the container age started. Dart, Ferrymasters, N.I. Trailers, always impressive if they came from far away. Loads more.