Infringments

Adam8:
when I was doing a drivers hours cpc day a few years ago, I was told that some make of tacho records for every minute what setting it was on for the majority of the minute. So if you were driving for 32 seconds of the minute and had it on rest for the other 28 seconds of that particular minute, it would record as driving for that whole minute. that’s why I always go to 16 or 17 minutes (31/32 or 46/47) as a minimum, just to be safe. though I also have no problem with taking a slightly longer break as these are minimum requirements and if I feel I need the break to be longer so be it.

That’s correct, in fact all digital tachographs since about type 2 I think, will record the whole minute as the activity that took up the largest proportion of the minutes, but that doesn’t change what break is shown on the VU display, if a particular minute is recorded as something other than break it will not count towards the break shown on the VU display.

When I got done at Carlisle & the truck was immobilised for the night the vosa bloke said,And don’t get having a 9 hr break , have 9 hrs 15 mins , in the event I had 13 hrs , If I have a 15 ( 20 ) , 30( 35) & a 45 would be a 50 , though 99% of the time I have 35 then another 35 mins , never had a word said to me about it .
I do find it amusing that the same people who would aim abuse at me for apparently being a tear ■■■ , are making a big meal about the fact you don’t need to do 16 mins , 15 mins is fine , I guess running to the minute isn’t tearassing around !!!

If you’re ready to go and just waiting on the tacho to click over, it’s not very restful, you probably just want to get going. So 16 instead of 15mins is just a waste unless we can agree that tachos rollback■■? I’m still none the wiser. Surely the first minute doesn’t record until you’ve had a whole recordable minute? And therefore the 15 is 15 recordable minutes and it can’t rollback to 14?

stu675:
If you’re ready to go and just waiting on the tacho to click over, it’s not very restful, you probably just want to get going. So 16 instead of 15mins is just a waste unless we can agree that tachos rollback■■? I’m still none the wiser. Surely the first minute doesn’t record until you’ve had a whole recordable minute? And therefore the 15 is 15 recordable minutes and it can’t rollback to 14?

being a dirty smoker if i get in the cab and the tacho says 14 min of break then i spend the next 2 mins max getting myself ready and sorting out the paper work having another swig of my drink what ever. i have never sat there egging the tacho on like that. I tell you what is frustrating though is when your in a hurry because your running late and want to get going so you jump in the truck and go only to realise you forgot to check how long you had and realise it wasnt enough 5 miles down the road so you have to stop for another 15. Did that one a few times when i first started.

^^^ it’ll be another 30 you need to stop for. :wink:

tachograph:

Adam8:
when I was doing a drivers hours cpc day a few years ago, I was told that some make of tacho records for every minute what setting it was on for the majority of the minute. So if you were driving for 32 seconds of the minute and had it on rest for the other 28 seconds of that particular minute, it would record as driving for that whole minute. that’s why I always go to 16 or 17 minutes (31/32 or 46/47) as a minimum, just to be safe. though I also have no problem with taking a slightly longer break as these are minimum requirements and if I feel I need the break to be longer so be it.

That’s correct, in fact all digital tachographs since about type 2 I think, will record the whole minute as the activity that took up the largest proportion of the minutes, but that doesn’t change what break is shown on the VU display, if a particular minute is recorded as something other than break it will not count towards the break shown on the VU display.

is this not right then…
stop for break at 15:00:45 print out shows driving untill 15:01
15:02 display shows 1 min of break
15:16 display shows 15 min of break.
15:16:21 i drive off
15:17 print out shows 2 min of driving

tachograph:
You originally said “There can be discrepancies between the tacho display and the internal recording system of the tachograph”, and as I pointed out that is not correct.

Fine, I’ll accept that as accurate, for me it’s not a big enough deal to argue over.

tachograph:
To be honest I don’t really care what some random “expert” has told you,

Your description of him is equally, if not more, applicable to you: I could if I wanted, go back to the auto-electrics place he works at and pick up the discussion again, whereas you are an aliased person on the internet, which is surely a lot more “random”.

tachograph:
the fact is that if a tachograph display gives the incorrect information as to what break has been taken the solution is to report the problem and get it put right not to have extended breaks that the driver may or may not want.

If a driver wants to extend his/her breaks that’s fine but no-one should be using misinformation about tachographs as a reason for doing so.

It’s a moot point as I don’t want my drivers taking the “bare legal minimum” attitude to anything they do at work, so if there were a discrepancy between displayed and recorded time it would not be apparent.

Taking more than the bare minimum break is not “extending breaks”, as that implies it demands some justification, which it does not.

Zac_A:

tachograph:
You originally said “There can be discrepancies between the tacho display and the internal recording system of the tachograph”, and as I pointed out that is not correct.

Fine, I’ll accept that as accurate, for me it’s not a big enough deal to argue over.

tachograph:

Your description of him is equally, if not more, applicable to you: I could if I wanted, go back to the auto-electrics place he works at and pick up the discussion again, whereas you are an aliased person on the internet, which is surely a lot more “random”.

tachograph:
the fact is that if a tachograph display gives the incorrect information as to what break has been taken the solution is to report the problem and get it put right not to have extended breaks that the driver may or may not want.

If a driver wants to extend his/her breaks that’s fine but no-one should be using misinformation about tachographs as a reason for doing so.

It’s a moot point as I don’t want my drivers taking the “bare legal minimum” attitude to anything they do at work, so if there were a discrepancy between displayed and recorded time it would not be apparent.

Taking more than the bare minimum break is not “extending breaks”, as that implies it demands some justification, which it does not.

No matter who Tachograph is, he has quoted the relevant regs.

tachograph:

Zac_A:
Meh…I’ll take the face-to-face opinion of a tacho calibration technician I’ve met in person, over the opinion of various people online who I’ve never met, any day of the week.

So now you’re saying that a “tacho calibration technician” has told you that the digital tachograph does not have to comply with Regulation (EU) No 165/2014 :confused:

In case you don’t know Regulation (EU) No 165/2014 makes it clear that when the driver is on break the tachograph display has to show the length of the current break and the ■■■■■■■■■■ length of break.

What evidence have you or your fitter provided to back up your/his assertions?

Anonymous sources are just that, agreed. Links to legislation are totally different.
They do IMHO go beyond the unsupported opinion offered.

Zac_A:

tachograph:

But that’s exactly what you have been arguing about, when I pointed out your mistake you argued that your information had come from an “expert”.

tachograph:

But I don’t expect anyone to take my word for anything, what I’ve said has come from the regulations.

tachograph:

This is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with the original statement that there is a difference between breaks shown on the VU display and what’s recorded, just because you or anyone else doesn’t think drivers should take breaks of the legal minimum doesn’t mean that incorrect information about how tachographs operate should not be corrected.

When I said I would accept your statement as accurate, that was intended to end the discussion agreeably, but you’re choosing to carry it one, however this exchange has gone far beyond my level of interest in what is a relatively small topic so I’m going to leave it at that.