Individual assessments for diabetics, (major edit)

Joeblunt:
I think the real danger is not people who have diabetes because they monitor their diabetes several times per day but the many people out there who have it and are not aware of it.
Its a bit like people who wear glasses / contact lenses, people who wear glasses / contact lenses do so to correct their eyesight, they have annual eyesight tests and if their sight has deteriorated over the past 12 months its corrected again by stronger glasses. Now someone with (alledgedly) ‘Normal eyesight’ has their eyes tested every 5yrs when they renew their licence.
So in real terms someone who does not test for diabetes or indeed their eyesight surely is a greater risk?

That is a bloody good point anyway. The car driver who reads or maybe memorises a car number plate in the test centre when he is 17 can drive for the next 53 years without an eyesight test, even a lorry driver can drive for 27 years before he needs a check.

At least the diabetic gets a regular health check and is probably safer on the roads than a driver on an internet forum who has had part of his brain removed :stuck_out_tongue:

this only mentions people with diabetes that have had there license revoked does this also apply to people who don’t yet have their license that want to come into the industry■■?

Well at last some good news for experienced guys that have sadly had to hand in their HGVs due to type 1 Diabetes !! i was diagnosed with type two in september last year but they only found that out after i had a mini stroke !!! so i am sat at home scratching my proverbial untill the 12th of sept this year !!! then i shall be looking for work im thinking i will be looking at going back to the market job again, keeps ya fit and its much better than sitting for hours on end on an unloading bay at Supermarket RDC waiting for them to get me tipped etc… so if anyone knows of any one looking for an experienced market driver give us a shout please !!!

Looks like the DVLA are dragging their heels on this :imp: :imp: :imp:

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … delays.htm

Update time, I am at the moment renewing my C1 entitlement and due to me applying for my CE earlier on when the changes were announced I have recieved a letter stating:

“I regret to inform you that you are still not eligable for categories C and CE. The European Directive changes in law have not yet come into force. The changes in law are due to come in to force in August 2010.”

So it looks like they are going to implement the changes before the euro deadline, but having spoken to others in the same boat as myself it seems that DVLA are going to make us jump through the hoops to get even our C1 entitlement.

On the upside though, at least we are a lot further forward then we were this time last year when there seemed to be no chance of ever getting the chance to drive CE again.

ffs I wish someone would tell us what is happening, everytime I read something the goalposts seem to have changed.

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … 9-says.htm

scottie0011:
ffs I wish someone would tell us what is happening, everytime I read something the goalposts seem to have changed.

go an see youre MP ,
they do have power to get things done.

scania245:

scottie0011:

go an see youre MP ,
they do have power to get things done.

a chocolate kettle is more useful than your local mp these days.

I think most of the drivers suffer from diabetics, So thanks sharing this thread, To spread some information on diabetics.

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … tation.htm

It seems after much dragging of feet, there may be some light at the end of the drain!

I have been sent this recent legislation from “a friend” who wondered if it was relevant. Having glanced through it at 02.15 I decided it was.

Cheers friend…

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 035:EN:PDF

Wheel Nut:
I have been sent this recent legislation from “a friend” who wondered if it was relevant. Having glanced through it at 02.15 I decided it was.

Cheers friend…

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 035:EN:PDF

right I know bugger all about legal speak but looking at your link Malc, and comparing it to page 32 in this one

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 060:EN:PDF

It seems that the article 10 in the annex on your link replaces article 10 in annex III in mine?

So if thats the case why are the UK dragging their heels on this, when the EU have made it a directive?

Article 2

1. Member States shall bring into force the laws, regulations and administrative provisions necessary to comply with this Directive no later than one year after entry into force of this Directive. They shall forthwith inform the Commission thereof.

I am confused, and atm feel like giving up all together

Hello - not a driver but a GP with an interest in occupational health and have done a lot of HGV medicals over the years. Have recently had a look on the DVLA website and there is an expert advisory group on diabetets that meets 6-monthly to discuss diabetes and driving. It would seem the issue of HGV drivers with insulin treated diabetes is being discussed but some way off of being implemented. The minutes of their last 2 meetings suggest that the current plan is for a questionnaire to be developed, and that there will be a panel of indpenedant diabetes consultants set up to consider and advise on individual cases. It looks as though the recommendation will also be to use a blood sugar monitor with a memory facility to record previous recordings and that drivers will be subject to an annual review.The next meeting is not until March, and it would look as though any implementation will not be before 2011 - 2012.
Although the timescale seems very slow, the good news is that it does look as though it is a matter of when, rather than if. I have summarised the current regulations on our website if anyone is interested (Account Closed). The relevant page of the DVLA website for anyone wanting to look at the minutes is http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/medical_advisory_information/medicaladvisory_meetings/minutes.aspx.
Richard

rjgent:
Hello - not a driver but a GP with an interest in occupational health and have done a lot of HGV medicals over the years. Have recently had a look on the DVLA website and there is an expert advisory group on diabetets that meets 6-monthly to discuss diabetes and driving. It would seem the issue of HGV drivers with insulin treated diabetes is being discussed but some way off of being implemented. The minutes of their last 2 meetings suggest that the current plan is for a questionnaire to be developed, and that there will be a panel of indpenedant diabetes consultants set up to consider and advise on individual cases. It looks as though the recommendation will also be to use a blood sugar monitor with a memory facility to record previous recordings and that drivers will be subject to an annual review.The next meeting is not until March, and it would look as though any implementation will not be before 2011 - 2012.
Although the timescale seems very slow, the good news is that it does look as though it is a matter of when, rather than if. I have summarised the current regulations on our website if anyone is interested (Account Closed). The relevant page of the DVLA website for anyone wanting to look at the minutes is http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/medical_advisory_information/medicaladvisory_meetings/minutes.aspx.
Richard

Many thanks for that Richard. I have been on Victoza (liraglutide) injection for the past year, DVLA medical were satisfied with me taking that and I have kept my licence. My worry was should my condition worsen insulin is the next step. I have never had a hypo in the five years I have been diagnosed. I totally agree that each case should be assessed separately rather than enforce a total blanket ban. Hopefully this will be just a matter of time before it’s implemented.

Joeblunt:
I think the real danger is not people who have diabetes because they monitor their diabetes several times per day but the many people out there who have it and are not aware of it.
Its a bit like people who wear glasses / contact lenses, people who wear glasses / contact lenses do so to correct their eyesight, they have annual eyesight tests and if their sight has deteriorated over the past 12 months its corrected again by stronger glasses. Now someone with (alledgedly) ‘Normal eyesight’ has their eyes tested every 5yrs when they renew their licence.
So in real terms someone who does not test for diabetes or indeed their eyesight surely is a greater risk?

i agree joe,i only found out i have type 2 when i gave a urine sample at my hgv medical and there was too much sugar in it.i am now a diabetic type 2.ive only got 2 years and a few months to retirement so i should be ok.i wont bother with the cpc either.i think every driver should have a medical check every so often.car drivers included.ade.

I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes not a great shock really as im not the smallest on earth
I had been feeling under the weather for a while so off to the doctors i go a couple of weeks i go back and get hit the bombshell of the diabetes
But as my doctor ran through all of the facts all i could think of is what about my job but the doctor told me i can keep my licence if i get my eating and weight sorted out
My company are cool about it all they just told me to keep them informed
So watch this space the big un my be the little un in the future :smiley: :smiley:

Hi all, Hi Scottie0011ive been reading your post on this thread about diabetes and what’s going on, I lost my HGV back in 1985 to diabetes it was one of the worst days of my life to buddy, I know the feelin I had a good job back and forth to europe, I loved the job wether it was Europe or uk then all of a sudden I was out of work!!
How ever a mate said to me get your Hackney licence I said " nah they won’t have that" but I tried and blow me down provided I have a medical every year at my own cost they let me have my Hackney licence !
So out I went working, few years later I got my own cab. For the last umpteen years I’ve been running my own Chauffeur business which still requires a private hire licence from the local council so for the last 26 years I’ve driven thousands of people around without any problems not one ! But still can’t drive a bloody old truck !! It’s a crazy world we live in my friend. I keep in touch with some of my old truck day buddies and I’m told it ain’t what it used to be, but if they change the laws now, who knows I might get tempted to have a go again!
Good luck to you and all the other diabetic HGV drivers to be !!
Kind Regards Jimski.

The DVLA consultation to amend the law for diabetics who want to drive HGVs has now been published: roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … er-ban.htm

At last some sort of movement on this ridiculous state of affairs :exclamation:

I am pleased this topic has been kept at the top of the postings.

many thanks for this info. I lost mine 5 years ago. too late for me now but could help younger drivers.

Wheel Nut:
EDITED from What Driver Shortage?

No! Hang on, not the usual monthly vitriol about spurious claims from some training companies. :stuck_out_tongue: This is good news, well it is for drivers who have lost their livelihoods for medical reasons.

Individual assessment for diabetics

This could see many drivers who have been injecting insulin to get the licence returned in line with other EU member states.

I know literally dozens of former drivers who have had their licences revoked because they are Insulin dependent.

Good luck to them all, but please join the back of the jobless queue :stuck_out_tongue: