Ignorant embarrassed or what?

sammym:

trevorking1964:

bobbya:
If you’re that worried about reversing maybe driving not for you.

Maybe i used too strong a word there.
Been driving for a living since 1985.
7.5t all those years.
Passed my class 2 last week on Monday with 2 faults.
Confident enough in my abilities and chosen career path to be fair.
Class 1 is the unknown for me though, they bend in the middle ! [emoji23]
You know what i mean.
Gonna take some getting used to.
I was trying to say I myself would be grateful when offered guidance from another driver.
I’ve given help in the past when i could in the same sort of situation.

Ignore him. The bloke is chatting rubbish.

No one is born with the ability to reverse an artic. And at the start everyone struggles. Unless you have experience as a shunter or something everyone worries about it.

After a while it all clicks into place. And you will get to a point if you are like me where you find it much easier taking out an artic than reversing a rigid. Not sure why - but I just find rigids harder to reverse now. Uncoupling your trailer and taking shunts to park the unit is more embaressing than anything else :grimacing: .

Just take your time when you pass. Get out yourself and trust no one unless you both know they are a driver. But also a good experienced driver at that. I’ve had security gaurds try and back my into gates before now. Basically just don’t believe anyone is any good until you have seen them walk the walk.

Who’s chatting rubbish,I gave the bloke some advice,so what’s your problem?

I know I’m running the risk of robroy accusing me of xenophobia here, but speaking from experience, could he been one of our eastern European brethren?

Bad manners and ignorance are my main bugbear. Although to be fair I don’t think that it in any way is an age thing, I’ve encountered some incredibly polite and well mannered young people and by the same token some pig ignorant older people too. I genuinely think that they have no concept of the effect of their ignorance and the vexatious effect it has.

Just yesterday I walked out of a door and saw I guy approaching so obviously I held the door for him to enter. Not only did he not thank me he also never even glanced up from his phone screen, well not until my enough is enough moment when I quickly reached around, grabbed his hood and pulled him back through the door whilst saying forcefully to him “you’re ■■■■ ing welcome”.

At this point it could have ended badly for me as he was half my age, but luckily for me he just stood there bewildered asking me what he’d done wrong. So in his case there was no malice from his side, just simply brought up badly I’d say.

Juddian - I will send you a kiss through the ether in a vicarious ‘thank you’ for all the great people who looked after me when I first passed my class 1 (and sometimes now TBH)

The majority of HGV drivers are pretty fabulous and will help you out if they can.

To the newbie drivers - all the best of luck when you start learning the job instead of learning to pass the test. Never be afraid to ask as someone will help you if they can. Every day is a school day however many years you have been driving for and sensible people are fully aware of that fact

My only tip is not to accept reversing directions from anyone who can’t drive an artic as you will end up getting very confused when you are a beginner driver :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry Sammy, I didn’t mean to pinch your advice

Some guy gave me backing instructions into a lamp post, which prompty lay down and blocked the entrance, so I know exactly what you mean ! :laughing: :laughing:

Some good points made here.

Virtual peck on the cheek gladly accepted from a fair maiden.

There was indeed a slight ee accent to be heard, surprised at his attitude after, i watched a big cheerful Turkish feller reverse out in a really tight place into the street in that london a few years ago, when he got out he exited from cab, a huge grin and wave and a booming thankyou enough to frighten the horses for miles around.
Ignorant reverting to type is indeed not a surprise, it’s annoying to those of us brought up rather better.

Yes for those who assume you are the unpaid doorman, there does come a moment when the most easy going and forgiving of us snap, when that last straw snaps something, those extension rebel twerps standing on the train found that out, and will again in the spring, when they stop people going to work, a lot of us have had enough of being taken for granted, robbed by the govt and every other bugger with their hand in our pocket, and otherwise abused and disrespected.

Hadn’t considered my clownish appearance might have unnerved the bod.

Helping fellow drivers out like this should be natural, and no i and the majority of drivers out there won’t be changing to fall in line with the new govt initiated national ignorance, we need as a nation to start taking our country back in all manner of ways to the place it once was, its obvious this isn’t in the national plan of our leader and owners, which appears to be the usual divide and rule method.

Years ago, in another life I did abnormal loads. On a semi regular basis we did diverter valves out of Chesterfield. On those occasions we had several police officers several telecom lads and the electric board. Back in those days it was not unusual for me to have my daughter as second man. As I said another life. She was about 12 at this particular time. 18 feet wide 18 feet high and had to reverse off the road cause on this occasion we had a problem. every one and his dog trying to tell me what to do. Thanked them all but said I would only listen to my daughter. Couple of shunts and it was in. When asked how I said simple she just points which way she wants the BACK of the trailer to go and holds her hand up to stop and leaves the rest to me. AH the good old days. Sorry for reminiscing peeps. the bearded one

thebeardedone:
Years ago, in another life I did abnormal loads. On a semi regular basis we did diverter valves out of Chesterfield. On those occasions we had several police officers several telecom lads and the electric board. Back in those days it was not unusual for me to have my daughter as second man. As I said another life. She was about 12 at this particular time. 18 feet wide 18 feet high and had to reverse off the road cause on this occasion we had a problem. every one and his dog trying to tell me what to do. Thanked them all but said I would only listen to my daughter. Couple of shunts and it was in. When asked how I said simple she just points which way she wants the BACK of the trailer to go and holds her hand up to stop and leaves the rest to me. AH the good old days. Sorry for reminiscing peeps. the bearded one

Whilst I always welcome a hand when reversing into a tricky spot, I can not stand it when the “banksman” positions him/herself next to my window, and starts the " left hand down a bit, right hand down"… :imp:
I know how to make the back go where I want it. Just go and check the blind back corner that I can’t see, and shout before I hit something… :smiley:

thebeardedone:
Couple of shunts and it was in. When asked how I said simple she just points which way she wants the BACK of the trailer to go and holds her hand up to stop and leaves the rest to me.

To be fair, that’s the way all our warehouse bods are trained to do it (company has a rule that all visiting drivers must use a banksman). I assumed that was the standard way to do it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Juddian:
Being the nice chap i am i voluntarily watched a container jockey into an easy blind side herringbone space he was making a bit of meal of…no sweat we all had to learn sometime, i asked him if he wanted me to watch his blind corner, yes was the answer.

Cheery wave or maybe even a ‘‘thanks mate’’ after?..er no, completely blanked me.

Oh well, his loss, presumably dragged up rather than brought up (my dad would get out his grave and clip me round the bloody ear for that), i shall of course not join the ill mannered louts and will continue to behave as an erstwhile David Niven while whole swathes of our society disappear up their own fundament, well apart from i won’t get all the nice girls falling at my feet like David :wink:
To be fair this was most unusual, most lorry drivers still have decent manners.

Probably a useless EE most are ignorant at the best of times and ant drive for ■■■■ let alone reverse

robthedog:

Juddian:
Being the nice chap i am i voluntarily watched a container jockey into an easy blind side herringbone space he was making a bit of meal of…no sweat we all had to learn sometime, i asked him if he wanted me to watch his blind corner, yes was the answer.

Cheery wave or maybe even a ‘‘thanks mate’’ after?..er no, completely blanked me.

Oh well, his loss, presumably dragged up rather than brought up (my dad would get out his grave and clip me round the bloody ear for that), i shall of course not join the ill mannered louts and will continue to behave as an erstwhile David Niven while whole swathes of our society disappear up their own fundament, well apart from i won’t get all the nice girls falling at my feet like David :wink:

Probably a useless EE most are ignorant at the best of times and ant drive for [zb] let alone reverse

Never missing an opportunity to air your xenophobia, do you.

Your idea of ignorant is a funny one. If my experience, and any casual observation at any parking area (here or over the water) or factory, is anything to go by, it’s usually our (East) European brethren who jump up to guide other drivers in( regardless of their origin), walk over to have a chat, and share coffee or a meal, with all and sundry… Its Brits, who in the last 15 or so years, have taken to sit in their cab, looking at their phone or watching other drivers struggle. Or worse, use that phone, to film another driver struggling, in the hope of some footage to put on Achebook…

the nodding donkey:

robthedog:

Juddian:

Probably a useless EE most are ignorant at the best of times and ant drive for [zb] let alone reverse

Never missing an opportunity to air your xenophobia, do you.

Your idea of ignorant is a funny one. If my experience, and any casual observation at any parking area (here or over the water) or factory, is anything to go by, it’s usually our (East) European brethren who jump up to guide other drivers in( regardless of their origin), walk over to have a chat, and share coffee or a meal, with all and sundry… Its Brits, who in the last 15 or so years, have taken to sit in their cab, looking at their phone or watching other drivers struggle. Or worse, use that phone, to film another driver struggling, in the hope of some footage to put on Achebook…

Speak for yourself old son

You can make a pig squeal if you kick it hard enough,

“Pardon?”

You heard!

And walk away, you can hear them chuntering under their breath. :smiley:

Who said no one was born to drive artics !! I was fortunate enough to have been given a Corgi artic as a kid, and i learnt from that…the minute i got into a real one, i knew what my vocation in life was gonna be…first time reversing, done it in one, first time blind reverse, did it in one…dropping and picking up trailers…didnt ask anyone, connecting the 3 airlines, didnt ask, first time with a fridge, knew it all…roping and sheeting, did it like a pro, didnt need anyone to tell me anything…european driving first time what a doddle, first time in a left ■■■■■■, came naturally…bit like riding me bike.
And if you believe all of that…more fool you…of course we all had to learn, and help came in different ways, yes there were those who would drive over your sheets as you were trying to fold them, those who laughed at your demise, I accepted all offers of help, and would often ask others to help just as i offered to help others and would continue to do so…when i first started out i was told…never be afraid to ask for help, and i remembered that to this day…I hope the guy who said What do you want a medal…how brave, and far from professional in my view…as for Juddian, well done mate one of the old school, and i agree, we dont always get a thank you , but thats not why we do it is it, but as i was taught…manners cost nothing.

I was at a Garden centre the other week waiting for the guy in front to turn and reverse down to goods in. As he reversed he hadn’t noticed a lamp post. I beeped to let him know to stop. He did and them tried again. While he was unloading I pulled in front of him. He didn’t even make eye contact.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

trevorking1964:
Please continue to be a gentleman. As someone about to start class 1 training, I’m dreading the first weeks on the road after passing and finding gainful class 1 employment.
Reversing is my biggest fear. Hoping to come across plenty of helpful drivers in that time to guide me through it.
Good manners cost nothing as my parents used to say, you can be sure I’ll say thank you for all help received.

Good luck bud.

I’d say the most important things to remember (once you have got your class 1 as us old timers still call it is this); GOAL - Get out and look and reverse a bit like a threepenny/50p bit bit of lock on, take it off, bit on take it off. If you drive a Daf for some reason they are right so and so’s as you tend to oversteer (probably the twin steering axle set up). Any other make is fine!

A lot of yards are quite tight these days and the most common fault is clouting the trailer on your near side because you are (understanably) guessing where it is. There is often pressure to ‘gerrit on the bay’ and a night this time of year it is a bar-steward.

I presume you are young so your eyesight wont have started to go yet. Remember we’re backing 55ft of truck up so you have to start some way away.

Also remember most accidents are ‘dings’ in a yard. When you think about it you’ve got 4 points on the trailer at ground level, another four in the air (needed when near canopies) and same again on the unit. It is easy to forget the unit because you are concentrating on the trailer.

Another strategy in tight yards in fact any place you go to is ‘look before you leap.’ If you don’t know the arrangement at a drop go and ask. The last thing you wanna do is end up driving in to a place only to realise you should have reversed in!

Finally when manouvering think of the exit strategy. Sometimes it is better to do a loop the loop when turning. e.g you need to go to the right but it is tight, so you go left do a U-ey and hey presto your facing the right way. In essence look at your exit strategy.

Other than that crack on as they say. You’ll only learn through experience and the more you do it the easier it gets.

sammym:

trevorking1964:

bobbya:
If you’re that worried about reversing maybe driving not for you.

Maybe i used too strong a word there.
Been driving for a living since 1985.
7.5t all those years.
Passed my class 2 last week on Monday with 2 faults.
Confident enough in my abilities and chosen career path to be fair.
Class 1 is the unknown for me though, they bend in the middle ! [emoji23]
You know what i mean.
Gonna take some getting used to.
I was trying to say I myself would be grateful when offered guidance from another driver.
I’ve given help in the past when i could in the same sort of situation.

Ignore him. The bloke is chatting rubbish.

No one is born with the ability to reverse an artic. And at the start everyone struggles. Unless you have experience as a shunter or something everyone worries about it.

After a while it all clicks into place. And you will get to a point if you are like me where you find it much easier taking out an artic than reversing a rigid. Not sure why - but I just find rigids harder to reverse now. Uncoupling your trailer and taking shunts to park the unit is more embaressing than anything else :grimacing: .

Just take your time when you pass. Get out yourself and trust no one unless you both know they are a driver. But also a good experienced driver at that. I’ve had security gaurds try and back my into gates before now. Basically just don’t believe anyone is any good until you have seen them walk the walk.

Glad someone else does this! I sometimes start backing up unit only and think what the … are you doing derrr! as I end up 2 feet to the left!

Back in the day when I was an agency limper, I was delivering into Sainsbury’s Feltham. A left-■■■■■■ came in and after watching him make a ■■■’s ear of reversing twice, it dawned on me that his rear-steer wasn’t locking. As a well-equipped agency wallah, I had a bolt in my bag for just that eventuality, so I hopped out and after a bit of a pantomime, with him no spika da english, I crawled under his trailer, popped the bolt in and - voila. My good deed for the day.

I had a full load and he must have only had a couple of pallets because in no time at all he was tipped and pulling off the bay. I expected him to return my bolt with grateful thanks, but the so-and-so just drove off with it still in place.

Still - bolts are easy to come by and a few weeks later I did the same for a Turk at a Booker’s depot. He didn’t speak much English, but he did know please and thank you, and how to work the coffee machine in the office.

Santa:
Back in the day when I was an agency limper, I was delivering into Sainsbury’s Feltham. A left-■■■■■■ came in and after watching him make a ■■■’s ear of reversing twice, it dawned on me that his rear-steer wasn’t locking. As a well-equipped agency wallah, I had a bolt in my bag for just that eventuality, so I hopped out and after a bit of a pantomime, with him no spika da english, I crawled under his trailer, popped the bolt in and - voila. My good deed for the day.

I had a full load and he must have only had a couple of pallets because in no time at all he was tipped and pulling off the bay. I expected him to return my bolt with grateful thanks, but the so-and-so just drove off with it still in place.

Still - bolts are easy to come by and a few weeks later I did the same for a Turk at a Booker’s depot. He didn’t speak much English, but he did know please and thank you, and how to work the coffee machine in the office.

So that’s where the phrase comes from…

He just bolted… :grimacing:

I’ll get my coat…

Reversing is the most challenging and rewarding part of the job these days, unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk