If you are thinking about booking training

jonoD:

ROG:

jonoD:
I will try to research this school near to me or find recommendations from the liverpool area, anyone here from Liverpool?

Unfortunately the site search facility is not working very well as I know that there are recommendations for schools in your area.

care to share mucker?

Cannot - as said - search facility not working

I know some people don’'t believe in the DSA LGV Registered Instructor, but they still do it in three parts, theory test, driving ability and instructional ability and the cost at the present is £428.89p for the three tests, and to register onto the voluntary registry it costs £117.50p and to re-register, plus they get graded like the car instructors, and I do know quite a few people have worked hard to gain this qualification, and feel proud to have gained it.

I do the DSA test for myself - I like the challenge of the driving test - to clean sheet the test with a senior examiner and then be graded for my instructional ability makes me feel good. I do this job for the high of seeing the candidates pass, so i feel by getting the only qualification on offer from the DSA, i have done my part. ADI check tests are planned for in advance and the subject of the lesson is known in advance. The instructor usually plans this visit with a candidate of his choice so as to make it easy. Once passed an ADI will never have to prove his own ability to drive safely. A DSA LGV instructor test involves the instructor driving and then giving instruction to the examiner in a subject that is chosen at random, this is repeated every 5 years. It’s not an easy test for many, and thats the way it should be - How can an instructor successfully train candidates to pass the DSA test, if when push comes to shuv they may not be able to pass themselves?

Seems that my statement about having our own test centre has really ruffled some feathers - quite unintentionally. My comment was intended to emphasise that parts of the training industry are investing heavily and acting extremely professionally. No, we are not the examiners! DSA send examiners each test day and they conduct tests in just the same way as at DSA centres. This will become more common - readers of Commercial Motor will know that there are plans for closing many VOSA sites. You will all know that driving test centres are generally sited on VOSA premises. The natural conclusion is that there will be more private sites. This will reduce travelling time/distance to test centres and is more convenient overall. The scheme is a pilot at the present time.
I stand by the comment about standard of trucks; it is a fact that examiners ensure that these trucks meet the minimum requirements. My point was that the trucks are often elderly and not best suited in their specification for driver training - typically far too big. And, yes, I know the arguments for that as well.
Ref using airfields, the one I am very familiar with in the Nottinghamshire area is not well marked and is shared by a group of trainers. Consequently time can be wasted waiting to access the site. Also, it’s miles from no-where - - possibly not the most valid training drive to the site. Clearly it would be ridiculous to say that all airfield sites are useless. Thankfully, that isn’t what I said.
The fact remains that some trainers have invested more heavily in premises and vehicles. That, on it’s own, does not make them any better but it demonstrates a committment so often lacking within the industry.
Whilst trying to clear up debris, can I also point out that I don’t consider us to be a very large trainer. We operate 3 trucks and 1 bus. There’s plenty bigger. But big doesn’t always make beautiful.
If there’s any trainers out there that would like any help setting up a test centre, I’m happy to help with the criteria but I’m too busy to get involved in arguments all the time!! Bear in mind that this is a DSA pilot scheme.

A DSA LGV instructor test involves the instructor driving and then giving instruction to the examiner in a subject that is chosen at random, this is repeated every 5 years.

Certainly not a big issue, but it’s every 4 years where I live!

Peter Smythe:
If there’s any trainers out there that would like any help setting up a test centre, I’m happy to help with the criteria but I’m too busy to get involved in arguments all the time!! Bear in mind that this is a DSA pilot scheme.

I know of a (delegated - is that the right term?) DSA LGV/PCV examiner in Loughborough Leics who might be willing to conduct such tests.

Peter Smythe:

A DSA LGV instructor test involves the instructor driving and then giving instruction to the examiner in a subject that is chosen at random, this is repeated every 5 years.

Certainly not a big issue, but it’s every 4 years where I live!

As you will Know after the 4 years you have a further year to undertake the test - but as you say not an issue