Idea For New Car Drivers

rearaxle:
Watch Channel 5 tonight at 8pm.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

It would be easier if you just said what program you were recommending.

stu675:

rearaxle:

I didn’t find finding it too big of a challenge to be honest.

I wouldn’t want any of the average car drivers thrown into a lorry cab with a wet licence. You only have to watch them trying to park between the lines in a supermarket car park or driving down Acacia Avenue.

Bin Man:

stu675:

rearaxle:

I didn’t find finding it too big of a challenge to be honest.

Presumably he meant last night now rather than tonight? Catch up TV works much easier searching by name rather than what was on at what time on which channel. YMMV

Will there be any point in a learner driver taking lessons for a driving test in a manual car in this day & age? Will it become a lost art as the upcoming new world order of EV cars doesn’t need a clutch or a gearbox. :open_mouth:

I’ve wondered if the car driving test today has changed to accommodate the ‘one pedal’ driving with brake regeneration or the examiner asking the learner those ’ shoe me tell me’ vehicle questions about the EV whether they know their kW’s from their kWh’s :question:

lancpudn:
Will there be any point in a learner driver taking lessons for a driving test in a manual car in this day & age? Will it become a lost art as the upcoming new world order of EV cars doesn’t need a clutch or a gearbox. :open_mouth:

I’ve wondered if the car driving test today has changed to accommodate the ‘one pedal’ driving with brake regeneration or the examiner asking the learner those ’ shoe me tell me’ vehicle questions about the EV whether they know their kW’s from their kWh’s :question:

That is a very good point, back in the day auto boxes were only put in the top of the range cars if you look now most new cars have the option of manual or dual clutch autos and as you say EV’s are auto.
How many of us have a manual box in our trucks?

youtu.be/t8aGgSbtoJE?t=18

Bin Man:

WhiteTruckMan:
How about making car drivers take a car based equivalent of the cpc, at similar intervals. At their expense, of course!

They don’t do it for 3.5t and vans so it’s never going to happen.

Not a problem. Cant drive any of the above without a car license, so they would get caught up in it anyway.

Misery loves company! :laughing:

WhiteTruckMan:

Bin Man:

WhiteTruckMan:
How about making car drivers take a car based equivalent of the cpc, at similar intervals. At their expense, of course!

Not a problem. Cant drive any of the above without a car license, so they would get caught up in it anyway.

Misery loves company! :laughing:

Well as you’ve brought up car licences why do 7.5t drivers have to do DCPC when 3.5t drivers don’t when you can drive both on a car licence.

I usually drive school buses, the carry on that the mothers get themselves into is unbelievable unless you are a trucker and do school deliveries. They complain about buses doing 100 mph and being on “my” side of the road etc. If new drivers had the chance to sit and observe what goes on in a large vehicle they might gain a better understanding of what and why things happen.

Bin Man:

WhiteTruckMan:

Bin Man:

WhiteTruckMan:

Misery loves company! [emoji38]

Well as you’ve brought up car licences why do 7.5t drivers have to do DCPC when 3.5t drivers don’t when you can drive both on a car licence.

You can’t drive a 7.5 tonner on a car licence. If you passed your driving test before 1997 then you were automatically given acquired rights (grandfather rights) for 7.5 tonners, anyone who passed after January 1997 has had to take an additional test before being able to drive them

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

alamcculloch:
I usually drive school buses, the carry on that the mothers get themselves into is unbelievable unless you are a trucker and do school deliveries. They complain about buses doing 100 mph and being on “my” side of the road etc. If new drivers had the chance to sit and observe what goes on in a large vehicle they might gain a better understanding of what and why things happen.

I’ll tell you a little story about school bus drivers.
Back where we lived in the UK we lived near a secondary school.
The school buses (usually 4 or 5) used to come all at once following each other and caused absolute chaos. Maybe spacing them every five minutes might have made it easier for other drivers.

Regarding new drivers sitting in LGV or pcv it was tried by some training companies many years ago and did not work. New drivers can’t grasp the concept of how much room a larger vehicle needs especially when they can hardly grasp driving a car.

I still say any decent professional driver will adapt their driving to allow for others mistakes.
Its the way its always been although standards are appalling by some of both parties. Me, me, me, selfish prats who have no patience. You know the type. :wink:

jakethesnake:

alamcculloch:

I’ll tell you a little story about school bus drivers.
Back where we lived in the UK we lived near a secondary school.
The school buses (usually 4 or 5) used to come all at once following each other and caused absolute chaos. Maybe spacing them every five minutes might have made it easier for other drivers.

Regarding new drivers sitting in LGV or pcv it was tried by some training companies many years ago and did not work. New drivers can’t grasp the concept of how much room a larger vehicle needs especially when they can hardly grasp driving a car.

I still say any decent professional driver will adapt their driving to allow for others mistakes.
Its the way its always been although standards are appalling by some of both parties. Me, me, me, selfish prats who have no patience. You know the type. :wink:

The Councils route the buses to arrive about 15 minutes before the school starts. Sadly we clash with the mothers doing the school run.