Ice Road Truckers

Still a great show. I caught an episode whilst on holiday in Canada last year. I love it. Glamourised or not, it still looks amazing driving across 8" of ice on a frozen lake. My ■■■■ cheeks were gripping the sofa just watching it.

In reality driving in Canada in the winter must be pretty miserable. They don’t use night heaters like here (probably cos the cab is too big for it to be effective!) and leave their engines running 24hrs a day for heat and to stop the engines from freezing up. Brrrrrrrr…

Oh and I agree with Deepinvet: Deadliest Catch on Discvery Channel is awesome!!

DABenji:
lol i said to my wife “I WANNA GO” and her reply was “You do and i want a divorce”

So why didn’t you go :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Damm - missed part two.

How can they put a programme on Wednesday and Friday !!!

Davey Driver:
An enjoyable documentary all the same, but as for it not really being dangerous and the cameras glamourising it ■■?

I’m sure that any “documentary” series would be selectively edited to make it more “entertaining”. People aren’t interested in watching “normal life”. They want to watch the interesting bits, with all the dull stuff edited out.

If they did a show about UK truckers, they wouldn’t show what most of us spend 99% of our time doing - waiting in RDCs, driving around safely, having our 45 breaks… If they did that, it’d be dull as [zb] and no-one would watch it (well maybe a few… :wink: ). They’d edit it to include just the arguments with the security nazis, the almost-an-accident near misses, etc.

“Normal” doesn’t get ratings. Exactly the same reason why anyone working in Holby City Hospital probably has the highest staff fatality rate in the country… :wink:

Too cold for me :smiley:

geordie610:
Too cold for me :smiley:

Too cold? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: What kind of a Geordie are you? A girlie one? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Fastrantiger:

DABenji:
lol i said to my wife “I WANNA GO” and her reply was “You do and i want a divorce”

lol aint been married 7 months yet gotta give it some chance lol :smiling_imp:

I think they really did ham it up a bit. Much of the driving there is on the river with portages to shorten the route. When that B train gets stuck, it shows a lousy bit of driving as you wouldn’t just sit there and spin, you would either back out of it or would have slid back down the hill anyway. When that happens you are generally in a mess by the time you stop and need to be towed.

Sometimes you can sit for hours waiting for someone to come along which is why you run convoy most of the time.

I don’t know about the weights in the NWT, but we were running up to 88000 lbs gross. 40 odd tonnes metric, on 5 axles, too.

We use the older trucks on the winter roads, but the one I took up last year was a 2004 and I think I will be getting the same one this year. Ours are fully serviced just prior to going north, and there is nothing the company won’t provide, truckwise, to ensure the safety of all. They also strip the trucks down a little. They remove the bumpers and rear mudguards so we can chain up more easily.

We go up with 80000lb towstraps, 10 chains, 2 sets of snowchains, lots of oil, coolant, diesel antigel, brake deicer and other things. We all have the CBs.

The danger is more in the temperatures than anything else. When you are the first on a lake and the cracking starts it is really loud and somewhat disconcerting. When the crack is running away from you and you don’t know how big it’s going to get, that can be a little intense, too. Getting stuck is all part of it, too.

Yet it is odd how it alters your viewpoint. Last week, 2 of us were heading from Denver to a little place in Utah called Bonanza. I was following a Canadian driver and he was altogether too cautious. When we came to a road marked up with the name of the town, he wouldn’t take it because it was a small road not even on our maps. I persuaded him to go that way and he was worried the whole time about getting stuck. I learned on the winter roads to treat getting stuck as an amusing diversion. It knocked 70 miles off the route and was no problem at all.

They are starting any day now. I have been told I am on them this year, too. Got the cameras ready.

DABenji:

Fastrantiger:

DABenji:

lol aint been married 7 months yet gotta give it some chance lol :smiling_imp:

Well I’ve been lumbered (sorry married) to my Mrs for 30 odd years, so if she promised to divorce me I’d be over the moon :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: told her that when she was 50 I’d trade her in for 2 x 25 year olds :open_mouth: she’s way past 50 now and I could’nt find any takers. Took her to a wife swapping party once, thought I would at least be able to swap her for a socket set or set of screwdrivers :cry: But since you only been married a few months might be a bit soon to be trading her in for a job on ice :laughing:

I’m sure that they allways go for the most extreme people/situations just to make it watchable. Just like the documentries they did for the middle east i suppose.

Stupot:
I’m sure that they allways go for the most extreme people/situations just to make it watchable. Just like the documentries they did for the middle east i suppose.

From my very limited middle east experience (early seventies), the documentary ‘Destination Doha’ was pretty much ‘how it was’ at that time, but even by then the roads were being improved by the mile on an almost daily basis. Most events in ‘Destination Doha’ would have occured, but not all in one trip (unless you happened to be really unfortunate).

To be fair, it is pretty much all like that on the series. There is nothing but ice, snow and trees. Trucks do go through the ice, as do the graders and other machines, from time to time, but generally the ice they go through is over shallow water where the sun has warmed the rocks beneath.

It is all extreme in ways, but the way the drivers acted let the whole thing seem a little silly at times. I will be taking more pics this year, and have a different camera which should give better resolution on video clips. I will also be taking my old olympus 110 with me to try to get the northern lights.

my mrs is hooked on this programme :exclamation: :smiley:

ROG:

That’s next years holiday sorted then ROG. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

That’s next years holiday sorted then ROG. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Not quite - she hates the cold and water :laughing:

The Mrs has just been ‘talking’ to the guys on the tv for the last hour :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: