I was following a Coates learner today

ORC:
I learnt to drive with J Coates. Class 2 was a nightmare with an instructor who didn’t like me at all, four days of hell, sleepless nights, dreading another day confined in the truck with him. Class 1 was totally different, relaxed, fun and an easygoing instructor who did a great job.

I got a minor fault on my Class 1 test for leaving too big a gap on my nearside. I wasn’t faulted for straddling lanes, just overcooking it a bit (erring too much on the cautious side).

I’d say if it is tight but just about manageable staying in lane then the wise thing to do would be to take a bit of wriggle room with a bit of straddling, but not too much.

It is possible, of course, that the learner simply didn’t know what he was doing and took the corner tighter than the instructor would have been comfortable with. Maybe he just got lucky…

I did a class 1 assessment with Cotes and had to double de-clutch into 3rd as the synchro had gone.
Just what you want on your first drive in an artic. They must have pestered me for 6 months afterwards asking me to book.

Red Barchetta:

ORC:
I learnt to drive with J Coates. Class 2 was a nightmare with an instructor who didn’t like me at all, four days of hell, sleepless nights, dreading another day confined in the truck with him. Class 1 was totally different, relaxed, fun and an easygoing instructor who did a great job.

I got a minor fault on my Class 1 test for leaving too big a gap on my nearside. I wasn’t faulted for straddling lanes, just overcooking it a bit (erring too much on the cautious side).

I’d say if it is tight but just about manageable staying in lane then the wise thing to do would be to take a bit of wriggle room with a bit of straddling, but not too much.

It is possible, of course, that the learner simply didn’t know what he was doing and took the corner tighter than the instructor would have been comfortable with. Maybe he just got lucky…

I did a class 1 assessment with Cotes and had to double de-clutch into 3rd as the synchro had gone.
Just what you want on your first drive in an artic. They must have pestered me for 6 months afterwards asking me to book.

Only double de clutch in one gear.Think yourself lucky you did not have that assessment 40 years ago.
Power steering as well.
Drivers have it easy these days. Lol.

ORC:

I did my class 1 with them for the first time; dreadful instructor (based in Slough or St Alban’s) without a trace of calmness or patience who swore at me and gave dubious advice (e.g. told me off for going ‘too slow’ down a narrow 2-lane country B-road when cars were coming the other way). Another learner had had a similar experience with the same guy and later went to Peter Smythe where she passed; I passed with Wallace in London (at Guildford) after 2 further tries.

I think its the same bloke when going for assessment with them in 2011 before driving lessons got an earache on my class 2 for not checking my mirrors. the usual the driving industry’s gone to ■■■■. you cant drive a van Ectr Ectr…

Tris:
If you know Leicester he was going up Colchester Rd (north outer ring road) to turn left onto the A47 towards Uppingham. I always split the lanes here airing on lane 2 but not leaving enough space for a car to undertake. Now strictly speaking you can just make the turn by staying in the left lane, but it’s very tight (as the bent railing and scuffed curbs illustrate). Surely it’s bad training to make him take that particular turn maintaining lane discipline? Or would an examiner expect it?

I know exactly where you mean Tris.

What with having rear steer and a moffet I always use two lanes on that junction when turning left onto the A47.

Tried it for the first time just in the left lane and it was unnecessarily tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk